Author Topic: Misti stamping tool!  (Read 10389 times)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Misti stamping tool!
« on: March 26, 2015, 04:00:02 PM »
Ok, I have been reading the thread over at Splitcoast since it started about the misti and the people who have purchased them are raving about this thing.  So I went to the youtubes and watched some videos using this thing......it seems like the greatest thing for stamping straight ever.  Does anyone have one?  Do you like it?  Is is worth the money?  Link to first page of the misti thread on Splitcoast Stampers from August.

Most of the time I really don't care if my stamping is perfect but it would be nice to get the sentiments in the perfect place and be able to double stamp if they aren't right the first time.  Apparently the misti is now available and will ship right away.  Geez, I love my tools, I am curious to see if any of our Artsy Inkers own and use this and think it is the greatest thing ever.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Misti stamping tool!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 04:06:57 PM »
I think I remember Lovepug2 saw it at her LSS.  I think it is awfully expensive!

But a cool tool. It does look like it takes some stress out of stamping. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 04:08:55 PM »
When I first saw it I thought it was really neat and would be a great tool to have. Then I saw the price :o.
I won't be purchasing one because of that! I think they're great for mass producing cards. And if you did a lot of that it would be well worth it.
I need to do a search because I remember coming across a pin recently for a do it yourself one. I think it cost around 10 bucks to make. I will see if I can find it and I will add the link here.
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 04:34:15 PM »
I agree that it is more geared towards those that mass produce cards. 

I also saw a tool on HSN the other day when Iring linked to it where it had a laser so you could stamp straight.  I thought that was a cool tool also, but the same price point as the MISTI?.
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 11:04:36 AM »
I have a laser thing that I use in scrapbooking to make sure things go on straight.  It kind of works until your hand gets in the way and the laser shines off your fingers instead of across the page. 

Thank you for your comments.  I am still thinking about this most wonderful tool.  I don't really think the price is the real holdout for me but rather the idea I might have one more tool that I only occasionally use but store full time.  I have to admit that tools are my downfall and I love me some tools but I also like tools that I actually use and not just store for that occasional use.  But then the occasionally used tool is appreciated when it is used if only occasionally.  LOL!

Thanks again for your input.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 03:26:34 PM »
This is a neat tool!  I have not heard of it....and I too wonder if I need a tool to help align stamping since I have none....I always think I'll make a DIY stamp-a-ma-jig....someday.....   :smile:

I do wonder if this tool would help (or is really needed) to use with the multiple stage stamps---which I just learned about a couple weeks ago and really love this set which is what I am wondering if MISTI would help or not or is needed:  vintage flower set
~~Melissa :)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 04:30:03 PM »
Yellow there are so many youtube videos showing the many different ways to use this wonderful tool, just do a search for the misti.  It also looks like it works really well for no line stamping.  You stamp with a lighter ink and then go back in and just color like the eyes of a bird with a darker color without moving the stamp from the door of the misti.  But let me warn you that watching the videos makes it really hard to not want this most wonderful tool......LOL!

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 07:51:22 PM »
I saw a video on one of the blogs I follow where she used it to add the facial features back in after doing no line coloring.  Here's the link And that is what got me interested in the misti.  Not that I've tried the no line coloring yet but that it looks like it works much better than the stamp-a-ma-jig.  I have a stamp-a-ma-jig and I find it a bit frustrating to use.  I tend not to pull it out.  Since most of my stamps are unmounted, I just guess that I'm lining it up right instead of pulling out the stamp-a-ma-jig.  (like this tree with a shadow - link).  But the misti looks like it would work much better.

I definitely share Sadie's concern that it would become another under utilized tool.  But it is always so hard to tell what you are going to end up using a lot and what you aren't.  And I think that is at least in part due to how useful a tool turns out to be. 

As for the price point, I'm not going to buy one myself, but I am definitely thinking about putting it on my birthday wish list.
Sarah

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 12:04:15 PM »
I do think the tool is cool but I too wonder how much I'd use it, b/c I know at times I like to grab and stamp....so I have to think about when does a tool b/c too cumbersome that I don't use it....But I like that you can restamp in the same place again if needed!

As for the price----I found out a few years ago, when I wanted to have all my clings, and clear stamps mounted on plastic for storage that plastic/acrylic/acetate is expensive just on it's own if you buy at Home Depot/Lowe's!!  and at that time (2 yrs ago) someone told me then, that plastics' prices had jumped alot--and I think they went on to blame oil and gas prices...etc..etc....   So it doesn't surprise me too much that it's that high--it is alot of acrylic in the product, then you add the rulers (which would be totally cool if they were accurate--and the more accurate things are the higher they cost), and the shims/one magnet then it all starts to add up.   

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 10:35:39 AM »
Well I caved!  I now have a most wonderful Misti that lives in my craftroom.  I really like it and for me the price is worth every penny.  I looked at my acrylic blocks and decided that since a lot of them were starting to craze from use not totally recommended for acrylic blocks I could either buy new acrylic blocks or a Misti.  The Misti won.  So the crazed acrylic blocks live another day to be covered in paint and glue while the Misti will be used exclusively for stamping.  I like that I can set it up and stamp the same stamp a couple of times in the exact same position to make sure I get a good crisp stamp because I usually do not.  I sure wish I could come up with some idea like this to make and sell to supplement my income like this lady did. 

My acrylic blocks are as old as the first acrylic stamps I purchased many years ago (at least 15) and they have been rode hard and put up wet so they are showing their age.  Now I need to figure out a way not to abuse the Misti as much as I have abused my acrylic blocks.

When I got the Misti I figured I would try to stamp something that I never get a good stamp from so I looked through my backgrounds that are card sized and found one to try.  I put it on top of the paper where I wanted it and then picked it up with the door of the Misti.  Then I put ink on the stamp, making sure it had good coverage.  I stamped and thought, oh my this is a good solid image.  Then just for kicks and grins I decided to ink and stamp again just to see if it became better.  Why yes it did!  I got a wonderful stamped image without having to put the whole works on the floor and step on it with my foot.  I am sold.  This Misti has a place in my craftroom forever.

Thank you all for weighing in with your thoughts.  I do appreciate all your opinions even when they do not necessarily agree with mine.....LOL!

Offline GeorgiaMolly

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 08:23:10 AM »
Regret that I've been so absent...but I just HAD to post to this and say that I've had this wonderful Misti Tool for a while, and OMG, Sadie, I so agree!  It's such a pleasure to use.  I especially like it for the layering stamp sets (like Altenew and W Plus 9), and for exact placement of several stamps too.  I don't regret the expense - actually split shipping with 3 other stampers after we sat around watching YT videos over and over. 

Molly

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 10:04:59 AM »
That is great Sadie!  (and Molly!!)  I am happy to hear that the tool is working as shown!   ;D     

Sadie I read somewhere (I think it is on the link you pasted from Splitcoast) about some trying to adapt to being able to use wooden stamps w/o unmounting them---have you tried that yet?     or do you have mainly unmounted/cling...I could not remember which you had. 

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
That is great Sadie!  (and Molly!!)  I am happy to hear that the tool is working as shown!   ;D     

Sadie I read somewhere (I think it is on the link you pasted from Splitcoast) about some trying to adapt to being able to use wooden stamps w/o unmounting them---have you tried that yet?     or do you have mainly unmounted/cling...I could not remember which you had.

I have unmounted all of my rubber from their blocks. I have made it a point not to buy anymore stamps that are mounted on their blocks. I use my atg tape to stick them down to the acrylic blocks or I do have 5 blocks that have that permanent sticky that I use for the bare rubber stamps. It seems that people are using the misti for the bare rubber with double sided tape but I am not sure I want to do that yet.

But I did see a couple videos on the youtubes where people were using the misti with wood mounted stamps and I am sorry but I didn't really pay attention since mine are all unmounted.  From what I recall it was using a book under the misti to make it the height of the wood mounted stamps but I am not sure how they are attaching the wood to the misti top.  Sorry I didn't pay better attention now.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 07:11:19 AM »
HI Molly, glad to see you here!

Sadie, I am glad you got the Misti tool and that you like it so much! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 10:15:09 PM »
I was puttering around in blog land, and one of my buddy posted that the magnets that they sell as an accessory for the Misti can be dangerous from someone with a pacemaker.  She actually contacted the magnet manufacturer and posted their reply.

Misti magnets

Just thought I would share this info in case there are any inkers with a pacemaker considering a Misti.
Sarah