Author Topic: VersaMagic chalk ink  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
VersaMagic chalk ink
« on: January 02, 2016, 01:14:12 PM »
Does anyone have experience using VersaMagic for watercoloring?

Years ago I tried watercoloring with chalk inks but didn't achieve pleasant results.  Now I am wondering if I used Colorbox chalks instead and didn't know of the difference but always something new to learn!  If you haven't heard of this before here is a copy of a post in this week's Splitcoaststamper's Newsletter (sorry, I couldn't find a copy on their website to link to).

From Splitcoaststamper’s Weekly Newletter
Issue #497 December 30th 2015

Q: Jennifer wants to know: "You mentioned you used Versamagic chalk inks for watercoloring because they react well with water. What should I be looking for when watercoloring with chalk inks?"

Answered by Dina Kowal:  First of all, it's important to know that all chalk inks are not created equal... some, like the Versamagic line, work well for watercoloring, and some do not - ColorBox Fluid Chalks, for example, are not water-soluble. If you're not sure if you're working with a water-soluble ink, you can put some of the ink onto a nonporous surface - I use a ceramic tile or acrylic block, but you could use a styrofoam plate, or whatever you have. Use a wet paint brush to pick up some of the ink - if it responds by becoming workable and dissolving in the water, it's water-soluble. If not, then it won't work for your water techniques. The Versamagic ink is opaque and creamy, lifts well with water, and dries with a soft finish. If you don't have reinkers, the method above is a great way to create a palette as well.

FYI also a quote From Marco Papers http://www.marcopaper.com/products.php?product=VersaMagic-Ink-Pads  posted 3/18/15 -- The manufacturer has informed us that the following colors will continue to be produced in both inkpads and reinkers’
#12 Red Magic
#34 Pixie Dust
#37 Sea Breeze
#60 Tea Leaves
#62 Gingerbread
#78 Aegean Blue
#91 Midnight Black
#92 Cloud White
All other colors have been discontinued.  We will continue to offer them as long as we can get more from our suppliers and they will be deleted as we learn they are no longer available.

Description: The perfect chalk pigment ink that dries beautifully on any color cardstock- even dark cardstock! Soft, opaque, chalk-like look with none of that chalky residue.

Does anyone use the VersaMagic Cloud White ink...do you like it?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:16:12 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: VersaMagic chalk ink
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 01:44:27 PM »
I just looked and I have one color of Versamagic chalk ink.  I will try to see if I can watercolor with it later, and then compare to the colorbox chalk inks I have.  I do believe I have colored with the Colorbox chalk inks, but I think that was with a blender pen, not water. 

I wonder if there is a bigger issue with pigments since I see that they are reducing the line because they cannot get the raw materials.  Gina K just discontinued a color of ink because it cannot be manufactured anymore.  I wonder if others are experiencing the same thing.
~~Heidi~~