Author Topic: CHA 2016 Chatter  (Read 11038 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: CHA 2016 Chatter
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2016, 10:20:18 AM »
Thanks Heidi!-I enjoyed seeing Ken Oliver's new Mediterranean colors!  But I didn't see a clear enough to get a good feel for the metallics.

I wish the camera person would have shown a longer view of the metallics on the paper and tilted the paper more to capture it in different lighting.
Also I was disappointed that the Altenew didn't show their new stamps...looking at framelits truly does not give me any idea of the details.

The booths open this morning at 10am PST so I expect that we will be see lots more video later today.

Heidit-The online Stampendous Catalog includes all their products.  There is a magnifying tool below the open catalog which will help in reading the details of the description at the top on the page...once in magnifying mode the page will freely move so you can see the desire portion. Class Appeals stickers are an olderr product. They are vinyl stickers which often have holographic elements and can be colored with permanent markers. One could use the dots as alternative to sequins, pearls, buttons etc.

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2016, 11:13:59 AM »
There is a video on the youtubes showing the crayons heat tool thingy.  It does look interesting, I wonder if they put something special in the color pods for the heat tool thing or if one could use plain crayons?  I would imagine that everybody has a Baggie full of old crayons this tool could add new life to if the price point was low.

I also saw that the chameleon pens are adding 30 new colors.......I thought the idea behind these were you didn't need so many different ones to get a lot of colors.  So now they are up to 50 colors which would be just like buying spectrum noir pens.  They did show a new chameleon color book made out of poster board for using the alcohol pens.

Far North I have Create and Craft on and they are talking about the CHA show and are showing Tattered Lace supposedly from CHA.  I was hoping they would show the actual show but not so much, it appears.

I watched the periscope Ranger had on Periscope from Tims class, Dinas class, and a little bit from Dyans class.  They also have a jewelry class on periscope.  After breaking down and installing the periscope app, the Twitter app (because they are hooked together) I have come to the conclusion that periscope is bad, bad, it's too far away and the voices sound like they are down a tunnel.  I really hope some one puts youtubes up of the demos today.

I saw a YouTube from "crafts from two" I think was their name about the different new Mistis.  The large format one looks huge, just huge!  The smaller one didn't look that much smaller then the original one.  But I was so impressed with the size of the large one that anything next to it would look small. 

I know that this show is supposed to be for the business owners but if we don't get to see the new stuff how will they know what to get that we like? 
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2016, 11:23:20 AM »
Sadie, I am glad you tried periscope so I do not have to.  I didn't want to get a Twitter so I gave up earlier. 

Also, I did hear them say in one of those crayon heat tool videos that you can use regular crayons, but their crayon in the tub was just an easier way to pick it up with the tool.

I had the same thought with the chameleon pens about why are there so many colors.  $$$$$. Lol.  But I did like their coloring book ideas with good paper.   

Jan, thanks for the info on the stickers.  I was interested because it said you could use them inside and outside?  but what you described makes sense. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2016, 11:55:08 AM »
I have some of the class appeal stickers that have been sitting in my stash unused for years now.   :-\

I really need to stop clicking on the links.  I don't need any more stuff. 

Heidi - thanks for the info on Jillibean shakers. 

On those pop-up card dies, if you have a silhouette, you can get pop-up card cut files.  Way less expensive and all they take up is computer space. I used one for fireplace pop-up card this Christmas that worked really well.  And it was only $0.99.  So there is less guilt if you only use it a couple of times.   
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2016, 12:35:59 PM »
Sadie, retailers are buying products for their store these next 3 days at the show.  But if you have an LSS you certainly can have a conversation when they get home if they ordered you favorites and if not they can include your favorites in their next order.  Many of the products are not ready yet and will not be shipped for several months. 

Thanks for the periscope review.  This morning I was trying to find how to view it from my computer...now I am not so interested.  I watched one a couple months ago and I found it too time consuming to watch a lot of trash that would have been edited if it was You tube video. The vendors are have training on using periscope after the exhibits close...so maybe next year will be better.

I don't understand the ranger crayons...the look kinda like sharpie markers with their caps.  The release says they are water reactive which seems odd if they are made with a wax base (but that part is only my assumption if they are called crayons.  Please share if anyone sees more details on them.

I really like Ranger's mini stain sprays (although I prefer the dauber tops) and paints but I am disappointed that I already have enough that it will be an organization hair pulling moment to combine the sizes. 

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2016, 01:32:27 PM »
I would assume the distress crayons are like the neocolor IIs in that they are water soluble.  It will be interesting to see the price on these and how they compare price wise to neocolors.  The only difference I can see is that they will probably match the distress colors.  And the distress colors will be sold in sets, the sets again, I wonder if they will go to open stock after they sell enough. 

Far North no LSS anywhere around here, the closest one is 150 miles away.  So I won't be having a conversation with the owner which is why I like seeing the CHA videos so I can see the new stuff in action.

Create and Craft has shown the CHA floor twice now but it was from an upper level and looked like a drones eyeview......LOL

I am watching a periscope now from Sixxiz with the Vagabond2.  The new one had all metal gears......and overload protection.  I did figure out a person can hide the chat in periscope so the chat doesn't take up half the itty bitty screen. 

You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2016, 01:56:31 PM »
I am assuming that the distress crayons will be a watercolor crayon, like the ones we were discussing here: http://duhnproductions.com/forum/index.php?topic=747.0

I am not sure we put the Caran Dauche Neocolor II in that list.  If I remember correctly that one is a higher end artist grade of the watercolor crayons, according to the Frugal crafter. 

Glad to hear you are getting a little more out of Periscope.  I watched some of the Altenew on the Create and Craft tv, and they did have demos, but not of anything I haven't seen before. I do like their ink lines, but am not really in the market for inks, unless Versafine expanded their colors. Which I looked them up and it doesn't look like they did. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2016, 09:01:26 AM »
Hero Arts has its new catalog up on its blog, but the blog is being super twitchy this morning and I've yet to be able to actually see the catalog.
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2016, 10:29:29 AM »
So sorry Sadie, I am still having my head in the sand about the impact of not having the great demo videos we had in the past. Now I recall the years prior to CHA videos when I made several bad purchases due to the lack of essential information.  My only LSS was 350 driving miles one way and she closed last summer :(  Guess we have to hang-on until the companies release their own videos and tutorials and slide with another layer of change.

Thanks Heidi and Sadie for your watercolor crayon comments!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2016, 01:05:26 PM »
I am interested in these Plaid products for mixed media.  I thought the paints they were talking about would be good for stamping, since they say they don't obscure your black line.

Blitsy Plaid Mixed Media on Youtube
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2016, 01:39:59 PM »
Hero Arts has its new catalog up on its blog, but the blog is being super twitchy this morning and I've yet to be able to actually see the catalog.

It is nice! I always like Hero Arts!  My first stamps every were made by them and I still like them.

I see new Ombre Neon inks, New Bold Hybrid Ink pads,  New cubes of ink that are 4 colors (Cannot be separated)
I like some of the color layering stamps, I definitely love the Lia Griffin Clear and Cut outs that are an ornament die plus the sentiments stamp set.  They are really expensive though, but might be worth it.  Actually I like her little stamp sets too, just a 3x3 inch size could be fun if you like the theme but don't need a huge set of it. 

I didn't think I was going to like them, but I do like the Paper layering dies, where you don't cut out a shape, but cut and then push up the paper to reveal the paper under.  They are pretty neat.  I like the heart one in the monthly kit a lot, but I passed on the kit because the sentiment set is not something I would use. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:42:29 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2016, 02:13:06 PM »
I think this is the Tim Holtz video you have been waiting for:

Tim Holtz Ranger products at CHA 2016

I guess the Distress Crayons are a little different than my Prima crayons because he says that you cannot stamp with them. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2016, 12:21:15 AM »
YES! Heidi this is what I wanted to see about the new Distress Crayons...Thanks so very much!  This morning I was thinking it might be weeks maybe months before this video release.  Thanks for sharing it here...the crayons have several different characteristics...enjoy watching the video. 

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2016, 09:26:21 AM »
Dittoing Jan's TY for the video, Heidi. The 'crayons' are very intriguing--doggone them!

Don't think TH shared what other materials than paper they work on, but may have missed it if he did. Don't mind too much that they don't work for loading stamps, but I'm sure many of us crafty stampers could figure out how to make that happen. ;)
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2016, 09:30:05 AM »
Daniel, I know he said they will work on metal, but no, he did not get into it.  He did have a time limit.  The price is a bit steep, I think.  $12.99 for the set of 6.  But with Distress, I am sure they will sell like hot cakes. 
~~Heidi~~