Author Topic: Cuttlebug dies not cutting cleanly????  (Read 12792 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Cuttlebug dies not cutting cleanly????
« on: March 28, 2016, 10:55:04 AM »
I have been noticing that my dies are not cutting a clean edge.

My Cuttlebug is getting old, it is an original one.  I have replaced the plates, but they are pretty etched again.

I am wondering if the issue is my dies, my plates or my Cuttlebug.

I would hate to replace the plates and then decide that it really is my Cuttlebug getting old.  I have always been frustrated that it does not cut intricate dies well, even with a metal shim.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: Cuttlebug dies not cutting cleanly????
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:15:29 PM »
Heidi, I too have one of the 1st Cuttlebugs. So far mine continues to function fine even after years of years of cutting lots of different materials.  However I have generally needed some paper shims along with the metal shim. I find I often have to add 1-3 additional layers of cardstock as added shims for some dies and then it cuts fine.  I really think it is a matter of the quality/thickness of the dies that makes a difference.

As for the plates...I continue to use my cutting plates until they break---usually that is when the entire surface is filled with cuts. Of course if the sandwich doesn't want to go through the bug I Do NOT force the issue (that is when they usually break)...probably too many shims. To save time and frustration I label my dies with the # of cardstock shims that I use for successful cuts.

New plates-I use only for embossing and rotate them to cutting as needed. 

I love how compact the CB is and have no plans to give it up.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:02:31 AM by Far North »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:02:07 PM »
Mine is an original too and I find that I have been having harder times cutting too but so far I do ok with the metal shim.... do you happen to have a Local stamping store that you can take your dies in and use in their machine to see if they work with a different machine?  If not I don't have any other suggestions other than they say if you cut off to the sides that helps and that is what I try to do with the smaller dies is cut on the edges, that doesn't help with the big background dies though.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 01:41:47 PM »
Connie I don't understand what edges you are talking about cutting off...how do you do it?

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 02:07:06 PM »
No, I don't have a stamping store, that would be so nice to be able to try out stuff like that.

Where in the sandwich do you all put the metal shim when you use it.  I was putting it in between the A and B plates, but somewhere I read that you should put it under eat even the A plate. I wonder if it makes a difference or not.

~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 03:38:45 PM »
I have heard of people using wax paper to help with the cutting. You may find more about that on line. I had to give up my cuttlebug after 5 years because it was not embossing on one side that well anymore. Also it was not cutting that well on that side either and it was frustrating having to roll and roll things through so many times. I decided to get a vagabond and I love it. I hope it lasts a long time. I have had it a little over a year now.

April

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 05:19:30 PM »
Sorry Jan, I meant that if you do your die cutting on the edge and middle of your plates, not the end or not in the centers it cuts better, does that help.  I could take a picture if you are not understanding how I am wording it.  I don't know if I am putting my metal shim in correctly or not, I know I googled it once and found out but then forgot so my cuttlebug sandwich is A plate, B plate, cardstock, die cutting side facing down, metal shim and C plate.
Here is a video I found using the metal shim in the cuttlebug, do you see how he cuts the die on the side of the plate to get it to cut better?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v85WUMjUQ-o

Here is a video with the metal shim and the big shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smr-VUz83zo

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 08:53:39 PM »
Thanks Connie, I understand now.  Yes, the placement of dies on the plates has long been suggested to rotate the usage.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:29:16 PM by Far North »

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 10:17:10 AM »
More tips:  After you run the die through your machine, remove the top plate and turn your die/cardstock a quarter turn (if it was horizontally aligned before, now it will be vertically aligned).  Run it through again.

If there is just one part of the die that won't cut, try putting a few layers of Scotch tape on the back right over that part to increase the pressure there.

My original Cuttlebug came apart!  We were trying desperately to get a die to cut, and nothing would work.  Metal shim, tape on the die, cardboard shims.  The machine clicked back together, but every time I tried to use it, it popped apart again.  Fortunately, I had bought a spare when they were on sale for about the same price as the replacement plates and die that came with the new machine.  BTW, the die was at fault, not the machine.  I have since bought that die for myself, and it cuts fine.

The wax paper won't help the cutting; it's meant to make it easier to remove the die-cut.  I watched one video that said using wax paper would eventually dull your dies???

Also, I watched a manufacturer's video about the Precision Plate for the Big Shot that said once you had used the Precision Plate with a die, then you needed to use it always with that die.  The presenter said that it could make it difficult to die cut with the die without that plate.  She didn't explain why.  Has anyone else heard this or had a problem? 

Daria

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 07:03:54 AM »
Oh my good thing you had an extra machine and at such a great price.  No I hadn't heard about the precision plate and always having to use it, or the fact  of the wax paper dulling your dies.  I used it when demonstrating the spellbinder when I use to work for them when I cut delicate dies, I still use it myself.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 11:02:48 PM »
Precision Plate for the Big Shot  that said once you had used the Precision Plate with a die, then you needed to use it always with that die.

I'd never heard that before, but I have the precision base plate so I had to do a search on it.  I found a video by a store owner ,
Scrapbooking Made Simple, who was asked the same question and she said no, it's not a problem.  She said you cannot use the thick steel rule dies with the precision base plate because they use a blade, and it will dull the blade.  The thin dies use pressure to cut, and she said they won't dull.  It sounds like she has a close working relationship with Sizzix.  She told them if she could cut shimmer sheetz with a detailed thin die, then she would be interested in the precision plate.  Her rep took it back to Sizzix with some shimmer sheets and they kept working it until they had success.  You can watch the video, but it's an hour long! 
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 11:04:38 PM »
I went back to the video and below I will copy what the store owner (Stacy) posted in the comments to the video

Hello everyone...OK...we have had some questions about the NEW Precision Plate and if it will "wear" down your dies?  If you recall, I said that you CANNOT use this with your thick, steel rule dies like many of the Tim Holtz dies.  This is because in a steel rule die there is an actual blade and yes...the steel of the plate will wear it down.  However, with a wafer die or chemically etched die, as they are known in the trade, you do not have a blade to wear down.  It is by pressure of the rollers that is forcing the cut.  Sizzix tested the dies by cutting them more than 10,000 times on this plate and the dies were still able to cut.  At first I thought that the plate was made of Tungsten Carbide but it is actually Anodized Steel.  So...as they say...Keep Calm and Cut On!!!  Smiles...Stacey
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 01:39:44 PM »
The precision plate from sizzix when introduced was demoed using any thin die.  Then as it was used Tim Holtz said that sizzix told him it was only for detailed dies.  The more open dies should not be used with the metal plate because it will warp them.  The first time I heard Tim Holtz say that he kind of laughed and said under his breathe I am going to use it anyway.  Then this year on one of his CHA2016 demos he mentioned again that it is not recommended for the thin more open dies because it will warp them.  I would assume it was meant that the stitched squares, circles, ovals, and rectangles should not be used with the precision plate because the sides will warp and you will not get a good shape.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......