Author Topic: INF14 ATC Challenge - ***** Winner Announced and trade partners posted*****  (Read 14412 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
This challenge is to make at least two Artist Trading Cards (ATCs) using the masterboard technique. 

Here is one video tutorial on making a masterboard.  I'm sure you can find others as well.

Since we will be using our masterboards to make ATCs, use heavy cardstock, bristol, watercolor paper or the like, as it will be the foundation for your Artist Trading Card.

If you wish, you can make yourself an ATC viewer by cutting out an ATC sized hole in a larger piece of cardstock or paper.  You then move the viewer around your masterboard until you find an area you'd like to use.  Trace around the ATC opening, and now you know where to cut out your ATC. 

Use a 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 inch piece of your masterboard as the base of your ATC and add more stamping, trims, embellishments, maybe ink the edges ... and show us your finished ATCs.

Challenge:
1.  Make a masterboard.  I suggest 8 1/2 by 11 inch or larger.
2.  Take a photo of your masterboard before you cut it up!  You may even want to make a copy of the whole, before it becomes parts.
3.  Make 2 ATCs using pieces cut from your masterboard as a base.
4.  If possible, add your masterboard as an image attachment to your reply to this post.  Put one photo showing your two ATCs in the gallery with the keyword for this challenge, which is ATCINF14
5.  Keep one ATC for yourself and mail one ATC (yep, they are meant to be traded!) I will post a list of swap partners at the end of Inktoberfest.  Keep it simple, just stick the ATC in an envelope and get it mailed in a timely manner.

I will randomly draw a name from all qualifying participants and send a RAK.

Thanks for playing!  I look forward to seeing your creations.  Please ask if you have any questions and share your experiences.

ETA :
And the winner of a RAK is ...
Heidi!
Congratulations Heidi!  Your package is ready to hit the PO!  Thanks for taking my challenge!

ATC Trading Partners :  As ATCs are meant to be traded, I thought it would be fun to trade at the end of this challenge.  I pulled names out of a bowl in pairs.  Please keep it simple, just seal one of your ATCs up in an envelope and mail it to your trade partner.  Message each other if you need snail mail addresses.  Please reply to this thread when you receive your ATC so your partner knows it's safe and sound!  Thanks so much for playing!

1.  Stampwilly and Yellowcherrios
2. HowdyHeidi and Craft Nerd
3. Looser and Far North
4. Carefreesadie and Iring
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:48:02 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: INF14 ATC Challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 01:02:55 AM »
Ok, now that I've spelled out the rules ... I'll share the inspiration for this challenge :

I took a class last month with Jill Haglund (Tweety Jill) at my LSS.  We made masterboards on bristol and watercolor paper using punches (as masks), stencils and spray ink.   Next we added stamping, random or not so random.  We made ourselves a viewer, and traced and cut out some ATC bases.  We then added more stamping (if we felt it was needed) and embellishments and turned them in to ATCs to fill a tray (7 Gypsies or similar) to hang on the wall.  Four of the ATCs in my Halloween tray came from one masterboard.  The remaining ATCs were made using other various techniques.

Jill had us make two masterboards each.  One of my masterboards I really didn't like, so I cut all of my ATCs from my favorite masterboard.  When I got home I came close to throwing the uglier masterboard away, in fact I debated whether to even bring it home!  But then ... I took my trusty viewer, and moved it around, and I was able to cut 5 potential ATC bases from it.  So don't despair if your masterboard is looking a little crazy!  I bet you can find bits and pieces that will become the foundation of something wonderful!

I'll add some pictures tomorrow.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 05:42:20 PM »
Click on the pictures below to get a larger view.

The first picture shows the ATC bases that were cut from my masterboard.  Sorry I don't have a picture of the whole masterboard (do as I say, not as I do, haha!)  These are waiting to be stamped and embellished to become complete ATCs.

The second picture shows the ATC tray I made in class.  Four of the ATCs in the tray were cut from my first masterboard.  They are :
1.  googlie eyed skulls
2. spooky witch hat
3. Happy Haunting
4.  Owl in a tree

Can't wait to see your ATCs!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 05:55:48 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 07:56:57 AM »
Oh how interesting!  Can't wait to watch the video!  I really like the idea of a masterboard, and I just love your finished product showing all those ATC's together to make art!  wow!!!

I really love this challenge because (like I also said on LeighAnn's tag challenge) it not only has you make an ATC but you have really shown how to use the ATC's in a lovely finished product that we can use.  Very nice!

Thanks so much for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 09:34:34 AM »
I'm itching to watch the video, but I have to leave in ten minutes! 

Your samples are terrific.

Thanks for the challenge--love it!

Daria

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 09:37:23 AM »
I agree, your samples are wonderful!  Thank you for hosting this challenge Iring.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 11:41:16 AM »
Your samples are fantastic.  And that tray is so cool.  What a great idea for displaying ATCs.

Can we combo?
Sarah

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 05:47:03 PM »
If you can combo ... combo on!
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 09:50:53 PM »
FYI
I think the tray might be a Recollections (Michaels) 7 Gypsies knock off.
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »
This was fun! :smile: I have done this a few times but it has been awhile.

Here is my masterboard using tape, tissue paper, plastic wrap and Distress inks. I had pinned this technique and it was fun using it on this challenge.

Masterboard

Here are my 2 ATC's I made with it.         ATC's

Stampwilly

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 02:13:19 PM »
Now that I saw Stampwilly's master board, I want to go make another one.  I think I may be able to recycle my paper towel from the paper towel challenge.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 03:39:55 PM by Craft Nerd »
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 03:15:01 PM »
Well, this was fun!  I really enjoyed this process a lot!  I have had trouble with collage stamping in the past, but I think the answer is JUST make a big collage and cut it up! lol.  I also took the advice in the video to have Gallon, Quart and Pint sized stamps, and that really helped.

Here is my masterboard.

I was able to cut a lot of ATCs (I did make an atc finder tool) and I am going to try to just put that photo here.  (well, it is too large of a file and I cannot figure out how to change that on the ipad).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 03:23:14 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 03:20:19 PM »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 03:41:13 PM »
Oh, Heidi - your master board is fabulous.  And you made some really cool ATCs with it.  Your DS is definitely a budding crafter.  He did a fabulous job coloring the flowers you used on the one ATC.  I really love that image, too.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 06:34:36 PM »
Oh, Heidi - your master board is fabulous.  And you made some really cool ATCs with it.  Your DS is definitely a budding crafter.  He did a fabulous job coloring the flowers you used on the one ATC.  I really love that image, too.

Thanks very much.  The funny thing, I showed DS the ATC I made with his flower, and he had no recollection of coloring it.  For him (in kid time) it was ages an ages ago.  lol
~~Heidi~~