Author Topic: Happy Mail Challenge-3/6/19 to 3/21/19  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Happy Mail Challenge-3/6/19 to 3/21/19
« on: March 07, 2019, 08:47:33 PM »
Where's Spring?

Players in this Happy Mail challenge will create a little springtime stash of a variety of at least 6 dimensional acetate embellishments for cardmaking. Select 1 of your embellishments to add to a spring time card you make for your assigned challenge player.

Making Acetate embellishments-Following are general instructions on how I have made acetate butterflies over many years.  Of course many new products have been created since then so you may use any you choose as long as they dry on the acetate.

Select a stamp image that can be cut and bent to achieve a dimensional look.  Stamps such as animals, insects, and flowers often work well for the springtime theme.  I stamp the image with Stazon Ink or heat emboss it onto acetate.

I “paint” the backside of the acetate with alcohol pens like Sharpies or Stickles. No worries if your colors spread onto the image lines it generally will not be seen on the front.

After the embellishments are dry I add thin score lines along the sides of the body of the butterfly to make it a little easier to fold the wings upwards. The flat body of the butterfly provides an area to attach it to your card with glossy accents.  Allow to thoroughly dry.
When your card is completed hold the wings flat and open as you gently insert you’re your mailing envelope.  The wings will pop-up as the recipient removes your card from envelope.

Interested players must sign-up with a post here no later than the end of Friday 3/15/2019.

Player assignments will be added to this post.

Happy Mail-Players will photograph their card and will mail it to their assigned player no later than Thursday 3/21/19.  Players are asked NOT to POST any cards in the gallery until the recipient posts that their happy mail has arrived on this thread. This makes it possible for every player to be surprised by their Happy Mail.

Example of detailed cutting and accent dimensional scoring.  https://youtu.be/IV2ziGMtHwo
Note-the creator of this video no longer sells on her Esty site

A collection of acetate butterflies on a card   https://youtu.be/EK4GlmwffbA

Click on the photo below and it will turn to portrait style.  Thanks for looking at this challenge!...Jan

Happy Mail assignments:
1.  Jan will send card to: Connie
2.  Connie  will send card to Heidi
3.  Heidi will send a card to  April                               
4.  April will send to Jan                                 

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:32:23 AM by Far North »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Re: Happy Mail Challenge -3/6/19 to 3/22/19
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 09:09:38 PM »
Do we have to use all 6 embellishments on one card?

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 09:15:39 PM »
Thanks Connie for the question!...sorry somehow the posted copy lost that information.  Only 1 acetate embellishment needs to be on the card you send to your assigned player and the rest are yours!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:32:31 PM by Far North »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 09:19:36 PM »
Ok, I am most likely going away for 4 days during that time, but I think I can still manage to play along :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: Happy Mail Challenge -3/6/19 to 3/21/19
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 09:32:54 PM »
Connie, I think you can make some nice embellishments in an 1hour or 2 especially if you select your select all your stamps and supplies at 1 time.  The card will take another bit of time.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:28:48 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Happy Mail Challenge-3/6/19 to 3/22/19
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 07:29:14 PM »
I’ll give it a try!  Acetate has been hit or miss for me in the past so I hope what I send will be okay!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Happy Mail Challenge-3/6/19 to 3/22/19
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 01:50:35 PM »
Fun! Count me in!

April :smile:

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: Happy Mail Challenge-3/6/19 to 3/21/19
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 06:50:14 AM »
Thanks everyone for joining this fun challenge!  I am hoping everyone is have a fun time looking at their stamps with this different perspective. If you run into an issue that you don't know how to solve please post on this thread and hopefully we can respond with possible solutions.  I completed my set and card yesterday and hope to get photos today so I can put it in the mail tomorrow.

Reminder for this week:
photograph your card and mail it to your assigned player no later than Thursday 3/21/19. Please do NOT POST the photo of your card gallery until the recipient posts that their happy mail has arrived on this thread. This makes it possible for every player to be surprised by their Happy Mail.  So sorry-I am having major issues with my posts being deleted after short bits of time. I believe that is what happened that in some posts I see the final date for mailing the current challenge as Friday, 3/22 ...anyways, no worries if you need Friday to mail your card your still good!

Happy stamping!...Jan
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:44:53 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 02:04:12 PM »
I haven’t been able to start this swap card yet. I hope to be crafting quite a bit tomorrow!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 07:33:57 AM »
Thanks Heidi for sharing your status.  I think you will have plenty of time for this challenge plus your other cards. I find the most time consuming parts are choosing the stamps, fussy cutting images and allowing sufficient drying time. All-in-all they come together fairly quickly.  I find the fussy cutting is a great small project to carry with me for times when I have a few extra moments while waiting for others. I carry them in a small box with my scissors and a white paper to work over top of so I can see the image lines. I catch the scraps in the box where they stay until I find a garbage can.

Hope it is lots of fun for you!  ...Jan

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:47:13 AM by Far North »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 04:04:12 PM »
Mine are done and the card is in the mail! Thanks, Jan, for this challenge. I have made acetate embellishments before but it has been a long time.

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 08:24:51 AM »
Well, I am crafting a little more smartly today. I got my embellishments stamped and cut.  Funny thing, I realized the images I wanted to use had the matching dies, but they would not cut through acetate, even with a shim.  They are easy enough to cut by hand, I was just surprised!

I did use stickles to color them, so they will be drying as I do my errands this morning.  That will give me time to also think about a card idea.  I have too many options and need to narrow it down.
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 01:11:30 PM »
My card is done and I will be taking it to the Post Office shortly. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 01:27:36 PM »
Heidi, mine cut with the Gemini, there were only two places I had to snip a little bit in the tight spot that didn't cut, but I did have to use the metal shim that comes with it.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 02:15:42 PM »
Heidi, mine cut with the Gemini, there were only two places I had to snip a little bit in the tight spot that didn't cut, but I did have to use the metal shim that comes with it.

That crossed my mind that if I had a Gemini Jr, maybe it would have worked!!   :laughhard:  I may just put it on my wish list yet.  But then I started thinking about a Brother Scan n Cut to save money on dies, so who knows! I am too indecisive!
~~Heidi~~