Author Topic: INK15 Fill 'Er Up! (Winner posted)  (Read 7441 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
INK15 Fill 'Er Up! (Winner posted)
« on: October 15, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »
Welcome to Inktoberfest!

For this challenge, you will need:

• A stencil with a *large* open area.   Feel free to make your own with any template, punch, print-out, etc.
  • Small Stamps.   I am not going to make a rule about the size, use your own judgement.  They should definitely not be large background stamps.
  • Ink pads
  • Optional: Sponge applicators.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
I am frequntly looking for ways to use my smaller stamps.  Often, there are some tiny stamps added to sentiment stamp sets, and I rarely use them.  When I first started stamping, I bought large sets of small stamps (thinking it was a value) and then realized they are just not what I reach for first.

That is why when I saw this easy technique, it looked like a good use of these neglected stamps...  I hope that you will have fun with it!
________________________________________________________________________________________

Technique Instructions.
1) Place you stencil over your paper and temporarily adhere in place.
2) Using your small stamps, fill your area up with stamped images.  You may use different ink colors or not. 
3) Optional:  Sponge a light ink color around your stencil. You can do this first or last.
4) Remove stencil to reveal your new focal image!
5) Complete your project as you wish.

Resources
Here is a picture tutorial where I found my inspiration and it provides two nice examples:
http://heroarts.com/blog/fall-greetings/

I also made a couple example cards that are a little different.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2033#top_display_media

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2035#top_display_media

Fine Print
Please upload your card into the gallery here at Artsy Inkers.  Please use "INK15 Fill Er Up" in your title and post in this thread to share a link to your submission. You may combine challenges, but this project must be newly made for this challenge. I will choose a random entry to receive a small RAK.

Please feel free to ask any questions here and I really look forward to seeing your entries!  Thank you for taking the time.  :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 06:31:56 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
Re: INK15 Fill 'Er Up! (10/17 - 10/25)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 09:34:50 AM »
What a cool idea.  I definitely have a bunch of small stamps I could use for this.
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 12:48:28 PM »
Heidi this is a great challenge!  I appreciate your examples!
Thanks for hosting!
Jan

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 01:23:49 PM »
Great samples, Heidi!

I tried this technique a few months ago and couldn't get a good result. I'm going to try again!

Thanks for hosting :)
LeighAnn

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 01:54:40 PM »
Until I looked at your samples I was scratching my head over this one....most of my stencils have open spots much smaller then my itty bittiest stamps.  Now after looking at the leave one I have more of an idea of how to do this.....thank you!
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »
I am glad to get a positive response from you all about this challenge.   :smitten:

I, too, do not have very many stencils with a large opening.  I do have one from Heidi Swapp that is a large butterfly, larger than the home-made ones I used in my projects, but I think it would work too.  Heidi Swapp seems to have a few ones like this. 

I was also thinking you could get away with bigger stamps if you had one of those bigger stencils. 

I also want to do some more trials with this. 

Looking forward to seeing the entries!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 03:34:08 PM »
I've got 2 projects in the works for this challenge.  I ended up making a stencil with a circle die. 
Sarah

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 09:35:54 PM »
I looked through my stencils and found some from Stampendous that were supposed to be used in pairs and with a stylis.  So I used one of them instead of making a new one.  I hope that is alright.

Here is my entry for this challenge.  Thank you for looking.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 09:57:58 PM »
Heidi, I'm looking forward to this challenge!  Thanks for the samples.  I have lots of tiny stamps that just don't get enough use!
Cindi

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 10:33:08 PM »
Sadie - you are on a roll.  Great card.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 03:31:18 PM »
Thanks for starting us off, Sadie!  I really like your entry and I am glad you were able to also use some older supplies! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 04:06:43 PM »
I used two stamps and about 4 distress ink colors to fill a butterfly stencil.  Thanks for the challenge Heidi!  Afterward I found lots more small stamps.  If I have time later in the week I may try this challenge again.

I debated over whether to use pen stitching around the circle details and the outline of the butterfly but was afraid it would be too much, or I'd mess it up!  So, I left it alone.  What do you think?  Does it need some pen work?

I combined my filled stencil with Connie's masking challenge to finish the card.

Thanks for the challenge Heidi!  I don't think I've done this before.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 09:21:44 PM »
Very neat. I like how your butterfly has two areas of filled-in stamping.  Thanks so much for taking this challenge!

I actually have a couple two step stencils that Daniel sent me one time, and I cannot find them!  I really think they would be fun for this challenge though.  Maybe they will turn up...
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 09:42:44 AM »
This is so fun! Can't wait to start!

April

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 03:37:58 PM »
I had fun with this. I combined it with You Pick Two challenge. My explanation is with the card.

April

card --

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2065#top_display_media