Author Topic: WF16 - Impress Me Challenge (Winner Announced!)  (Read 9881 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
WF16 - Impress Me Challenge (Winner Announced!)
« on: January 16, 2016, 09:44:38 AM »
For this challenge, I want you to use the Texture Pressing technique on a stamping project.  This technique is totally out of my comfort zone and that is part of the reason I chose to experiment with it.  I hope you will have fun trying it.

In the tutorial, she uses whipped spackle, but I used both Liquidex Modeling paste and Inka Gold paste and got nice results.  So I would just try whatever you have on hand that might work. 

Also, I do not have special tools for my pastes, so I just used an old credit card.

Tips from my experiments:

For the modeling paste, I found that you really needed to use a very very thin coating to get a nice impression.  This is the same advice given in the video tutorial. The colored ink on the stamp worked best for me with this one. 

For the Inka Gold, it was significantly more flexible process.  I could use a thicker layer of the pate.  If I got a bad impression the first time, I was able to smooth it back out and try again.  For the Inka Gold, the colored ink worked, but it looked a little better to me to just stamp with Versamark.  YMMV. 

Remember to clean your stamps very well pretty quickly after using with the pastes.

I will be posting some examples. 

There will be a small RAK awarded for this challenge.

New projects only, you may combine, please upload into gallery and assign keyword WF16IM and link to this thread.

Please ask any questions below and have fun!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:07:50 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: WF16 - Impress Me Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 08:41:07 AM »
Here are photos of some of my trials and I will upload a photo of my completed project soon:

With Liquidex flexible modeling paste:

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2321#top_display_media

With Inka Gold:

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2322#top_display_media
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 08:48:01 AM »
Cool technique.  And another use for my modeling paste.   O0
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 09:43:30 AM »
Great challenge Heidi...I seriously considered hosting this challenge LOL! 

I watched the video twice this morning and I see her 2nd item is Viva's Modeling Crème colored gold--is that what you what you mean by Inka Gold? (I'm a little confused because I have the Inka Gold beeswax coloring product and don't believe I could spread it like she did.)

Also--I don't see/hear her using VersaMark...Did you try it with and without and like it better with the VersaMark?

What does the acronym YMMV mean?...sorry I looked it up online but that was not good.

Thanks for hosting 2 great challenges!...Jan

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 09:48:40 AM »
Very nice results in your samples.  Thank you for hosting.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 09:51:08 AM »
Great challenge Heidi...I seriously considered hosting this challenge LOL! 

I watched the video twice this morning and I see her 2nd item is Viva's Modeling Crème colored gold--is that what you what you mean by Inka Gold? (I'm a little confused because I have the Inka Gold beeswax coloring product and don't believe I could spread it like she did.)

Also--I don't see/hear her using VersaMark...Did you try it with and without and like it better with the VersaMark?

What does the acronym YMMV mean?...sorry I looked it up online but that was not good.

Thanks for hosting 2 great challenges!...Jan

Great questions!

I did use Inka Gold because that is one of the pastes I had.  My newly opened silver Inka Gold is a paste consistency.  I also have gold and green colors that have dried out over time.  I got them back to a paste consistency by adding water to the container, letting it soak in, mixing it around, repeating till it was a paste.  I saw this in a video a long time ago when I first bought the Inka Gold.  It does take a little elbow grease. 

I think I just decided to try the Versamark and decided that this helped me with the Inka Gold product.  I did not try it with the Modeling paste.  I think in the video she used both an inked and unlinked stamp, but I thought that inked with Versamark worked better than unlinked, but that might vary due to which paste you use.

YMMV means Your Mileage May Vary.  Basically, you might get slightly different results that I did due to different products or different weather, etc. 

I hope that helps!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:57:21 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »
I also wanted to say that I did not have to spend gobs of time on this to get good results.  In fact, I think I only spent about 30 minutes experimenting and then probably some time to clean up my work area and stamps.  I think the technique looks daunting, but I was pleasantly surprised how well it went.  Except it is certainly a more messy technique. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 10:04:41 AM »
Thanks Heidi!  Looks like fun!
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 10:32:17 AM »
Well, it looks like great minds think alike (Heidi and Jan) because I just pinned this technique 2 days ago! LOL! I am glad I will get to try this very soon.

April ;D

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 10:49:14 AM »
Thanks Heidi!  Your response helped clarify the details!  LoL- I have always sprayed my dry Inka Gold but never stirred it cause it works great for painting that way and as the water evaporates it is creamy to rub on with my fingers. 

This challenge is definitely a must do for me!  Thanks again!

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 11:58:32 AM »
love your examples, look forward to this

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 12:35:23 PM »
I've already got my started.  Just waiting for them to dry.  And it didn't take very long.  I spent about an hour before stopping for lunch and in that time, I stamped a background for LeighAnn's challenge, assembled a tower card (except for focal piece) and made 5 attempts a this challenge.  Once everything is dry, I'll post a pic of my attempts.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 03:48:33 PM »
Glad to hear that you guys are interested in this challenge and some of you have already started!

Here is my completed sample project. 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=2335&message_id=527370abcacad170b7eeecd6ca58f15a&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 02:35:23 PM »
Here is link to my card, this was my third attempt at this, I realized I was using too much molding paste, you can see a line to the right of the sentiment where I didn't get it smooth out completely.  Isn't it weird how the brown ink came out green in places on it, that is what lead me to the colors and frogs that I used with it.
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=2345&message_id=3b3bec7d57f3d96e94c357ad74df6c1e&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Here is a picture of my first attempts, I was going to make a girl card and ended up with a boy card.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 05:25:31 PM »
Great card, Connie!  Thanks so much for participating! 

I am not that surprised, when I think about it, that a dye ink might separate out into its base colors when it gets wet.  I bet they all will behave a little differently, which might be part of the fun. 

Thanks also for sharing your other attempts!
~~Heidi~~