Author Topic: WF16 Challenge: Casting Call  (Read 8030 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
WF16 Challenge: Casting Call
« on: January 18, 2016, 09:29:05 AM »
Here are the details for my WF16 Challenge:

You must use a stamp as a mold to 'cast' in a medium of your choice. For my samples (which LeighAnn has offered to upload to the gallery) I did 4 casts from the same image. I did poly clay (broke in the mail), paper toweling, craftfoam &...hot glue.

You can do your stamp cast in whatever you wish. Melted crayon, play-dough, bread dough, etc. If you cast in a 'hot' medium (glue, wax, etc.) I recommend using a rubber stamp. Don't know how the acrylic stamps will fare in hot stuff.

I'll try to answer any questions about media, but can't promise to know all about all sorts. In other words? I trust you all to figure out what works for you. #>

For my challenge, your cast does not have to be turned into a project, but you may if you wish. You may also use your cast(s) in other challenges if allowed by those hosters.

When you upload your cast please use WF16CC as the prefix & link it to this thread, as well.

My challenge runs the entire week of WF16.

Think that covers most stuff, but let me know if I missed anything. ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:01:24 AM by Looser »
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: WF16 Challenge: Casting Call
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:48:11 AM »
This sounds fun. I know I have done toilet tissue in a stamp before, so I am pretty sure I will be able to do that if I can't get anything else to work.  Interesting twist on not sharing until Saturday! 

Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 08:33:33 AM »
I think I fixed the upside down samples!

My kids were playing playdoh yesterday so I borrowed some and made a cast. Very fun, I need to see if it's dry yet. Thanks for hosting, Daniel!
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 08:42:39 AM »
Cool challenge.  I actually just bought some stuff for making molds.  So I may give that a try.
Sarah

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 09:58:53 AM »
Very interesting, indeed!  I will need to think about this and see what I want to use as a stamping material.  Thank you for hosting.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 10:14:56 AM »
Glad y'all like my challenge. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

In the FWIW category... When you do a cast by impressing a stamp into a medium, you will get an 'intaglio' version of the image. If you use that version as a 'mold' you can get a raised (cameo) version. Depending on your choice of medium you may need to use a 'release' medium for this so the 2nd cast doesn't stick to the cast mold.
Daniel

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 11:54:10 AM »
Heidi, thanks for repeating the "don't post till Saturday" part of the challenge!  I almost missed it!

I've tp'd my stamps before too (and I think it was you, Daniel that made me do it :laugh:)!  I really liked your hot glue sample ... hmmm.
Fun challenge!
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 12:00:01 PM »
I too am really interested in trying the hot glue method

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 12:10:26 PM »
Truly 'impressed' with those who are interested in doing their cast in hot glue--pun totally intended.

Neat thing about working with meltable mediums like glue & wax is the chance to do 'inclusions'--glitter, paper, etc.

When I do some hot glue casts I can do layers--I 'puddle' the glue & add the inclusions before the glue sets up. Then I cover the first layer with more glue to encapsulate the inclusions & let that sat up. When I want to do the stamp impression I use my heat gun to re-soften the glue.
Daniel

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 08:43:36 PM »
Daniel, I have been looking on Internet for more instructions on how to do this with hot glue - the internet has not been very forthcoming in help.  I have now decided that I may look into the play dough as we have all colors. 

I am not sure that I am even searching under the correct words. 

Any additional help in the area of using hot glue, would be helpful. 

The more  I look, the more confused I think I am getting.

Ann

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 09:37:51 PM »
Daniel, I have been looking on Internet for more instructions on how to do this with hot glue - the internet has not been very forthcoming in help.  I have now decided that I may look into the play dough as we have all colors. 

I am not sure that I am even searching under the correct words. 

Any additional help in the area of using hot glue, would be helpful. 

The more  I look, the more confused I think I am getting.

Ann

I'll try to help you with doing your cast in hot glue, Ann.

If you have a clear glue pad, that's what I used, but don't sweat if you don't have one. You can do this on a piece of plastic-coated freezer paper or glossy CS. If you go that route I suggest wiping the paper with a bit of grease--oil, Crisco, vasoline--to act as a release agent.

For my froggie cast, I stamped it on paper & placed it under the glue pad so I had a good idea of how much of a glue puddle I needed. If you are working on a paper base, stamp on the paper before greasing it.

Now heat up the gun & pump out your glue to cover the image area. Don't force the glue or worry if it begins to 'set up' before you get the puddle the size you need.

Once you have the puddle you can use your heat gun to re-soften the glue & press the stamp into it. Do not try removing the stamp at this point. Just put the piece in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes & let it chill. The stamp should come away from the glue easily.

Now you can wash the cast in soapy water to remove any grease, rinse & dry.

Now the hard part... Use the cast 'as is' or color it. I used Staz-On & sharpies to color my sample. HTH, pal ;)
Daniel

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 09:56:21 PM »
Thanks so much for info.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 10:01:01 PM »
Great tips Daniel, I hope to try this at some point this week.
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 03:55:37 AM »
My situation is similiar to Ann's...but I want to put the hot glue into the stamp.  What is the procedure?

Also your rule--No stamping before Saturday...was that yesterday or Saturday next week?

Thanks!...Jan

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 09:00:23 AM »
My situation is similiar to Ann's...but I want to put the hot glue into the stamp.  What is the procedure?

Also your rule--No stamping before Saturday...was that yesterday or Saturday next week?

Thanks!...Jan
Sorry for any confusion. The Saturday I meant was the 23rd.

Far as putting hot glue 'into' the stamp? Lay the stamp on a firm surface with the die up & cover with glue. Allow it to set up (I always chill my pieces) & peel out the stamp. HTH, Jan.
Daniel