Author Topic: Creative Challenges - Gift Card holders May 11 - May 17, 2020  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
When I mailed my DDs a little something for Mother's Day, I was wishing I had a nicer way to present a gift card.  I was short on time so I just threw a gift card loose inside their Mother's day cards.  Next time I hope I have something on hand to dress it up a bit.  Another thing that prompted this challenge was a cool die set I saw on the last HSN craft day from Stamps of Life.  I was tempted ... but I also knew it was something I had seen before and I could probably make something similar without the dies, or using dies or punches I already own.  Don't get me wrong, the Stamps of Life set was really cute, and you know me, I could cave and wind up with them at some point (like the gnome die I resisted until I couldn't resist anymore, ha!).

You have two (or more) options. 

1.  Make a greeting card that holds a gift card, such as a card with a pop up gift card holder, or a card with a pocket for a gift card.
     Here is one example of a pop up gift card by Sandy Allnock.  I've seen other videos for a box
     style pop up, or it doesn't even have to be a pop up, it can be a slider card.  Any greeting card that can be mailed that has a way of
     presenting a gift card. 

2.  Make a fancy envelope to hold a gift card.  This can be placed inside a card you already have made, but your gift card will be "wrapped".
     Just show us your envelope or wrapping.  This is what I needed for Mother's Day ... I already had the cards made, but then I wanted a nicer 
     way to include the gift cards.  Here is an easy envelope video.

So, make the entire greeting card gift card holder, or just a gift card envelope/wrap, or even better, try both.  These can be quick projects.
There is room for stamping when you decorate your card, or stamp an embellishment for your belly band if you make an envelope, or stamp your paper instead of using printed paper ... you decide.  Just please stamp an image somewhere on your project(s).   If you have a die that makes a card or envelope like these, please feel free to use it.

If you haul out an old stamp/punch/die/tool/medium you haven't used in a long time, please share!
I'm anxious to see how you present gift cards.  I'm hoping to get some made ahead for Christmas.

*** If you wish this was more of a technique challenge, rather than a card fold challenge, use a resist technique of your choice, or use Sandy Allnock’s example of embossed resist with watercolor as you decorate.  It’s optional.

My mom and I made some gift card holders from an old Stampin Up Paper Pumpkin kit this afternoon.  It was nice to stamp together, and easy because all we needed was scissors, adhesive and acrylic blocks to mount our stamps ... and we did use a paper trimmer.  I'll post in the gallery tomorrow.

ETA : Please add "Creative Challenge : Gift Card" in your title when you upload to the gallery.  Thanks!

Another ETAHere is the gallery post with the cards Mom and I made from the SU kit.  Another cute way to present a gift card I think.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 02:54:45 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Creative Challenges - Gift Card holders May 11 - May 17, 2020
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 09:42:20 AM »
This is a good challenge.  I watched the Sandy Allnock video and that does not look difficult.  I will need to look at the other one too.  Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 10:11:34 AM »
I don't give a lot of gift cards but who knows what the future will bring, will have to check out the video's tonight :)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 02:24:05 PM »
Connie, are there any other flat things you like to stick inside cards?  A pop up book mark, or business card?  ATC envelope?  Would you ever enclose a wallet sized photo, that might fit that same sort of slot? 
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 02:45:09 PM »
These are good to have in hand. From time to time I give gift cards. Thanks for the videos.

April :smile:

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 10:12:42 AM »
I will have to see what I can do  ;)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 11:18:30 AM »
Does anyone have the link to Sandy's "Emboss Resist" video?  TIA!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 04:17:38 PM »
Jan,  Sandy demonstrates watercolor with emboss resist when she decorates her Pop up gift card holder.
Start watching at around 3:40
https://youtu.be/H9OBQpK0Q-g
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 04:18:55 PM »
April, thanks for playing!  I think your fish card is really cute!  I hope it comes in handy next time you need to give a gift card.
Cindi

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 06:09:56 PM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/1EE3BBF6-7142-4297-AA97-287BE6FC5929.jpeg
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/6C29B3EF-115B-4B0A-B3B0-E37A9CA4C541.jpeg

I changed size of card by starting with a longer piece of cardstock.  I used a 12” mixed media paper.
So my card is 5” by 4 1/2”. Closer to A2 card.
Used paper from my stash of projects.
Stamps on front Tim Holtz, inside stamp and die by Sizzex.

Going to granddaughter when I find out which gift card she wants.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 07:34:18 PM »
Yankee, your granddaughter will really like this card!  Good idea to change up the size.  The die I mentioned in the challenge description cut an A2 sized card.  This will fit in an envelope nicely.  Thanks for playing!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 12:49:23 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 12:58:26 AM »
I finally made a card for my challenge tonight.  It would have gone a lot quicker if I didn't decide to place teeny, tiny die cut stars all over the front, ha!  This one is for Christmas.  Glad I'm working ahead.  I made an A2 sized card by cutting a strip of cardstock 4.25 by 12 inches.  I scored at 5.5, 6 and 6.5 inches.  The card holder pop up is very shallow, only .5 inch, but it holds fine.  For a deeper pop up you could just use two pieces of cardstock and score maybe .75 to 1 inch from the end of each. 

Fancy Christmas front
Fancy Christmas inside

Sorry the pictures are a little dark and fuzzy.

Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 09:05:15 AM »
Thanks Cindi for the link.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 09:33:22 AM »
Jennifer McGuire just posted a video with 3 versions of gift card holders.  She is using lots of sentiment strips to decorate her cards, but if that's not your thing, fast forward to the parts of the video that show how the mechanisms work.

I'm thinking I'd like to try the one that slides out of a pocket.

Gift Card Holders - 3 Ways

Cindi