Author Topic: INF14 The Shadow Knows Challenge -- Winner Announced  (Read 16701 times)

Offline djc

• Stampers
INF14 The Shadow Knows Challenge -- Winner Announced
« on: October 03, 2014, 03:59:13 PM »
Welcome to our first Stamping Celebration here at Artsy Inkers!

ETA:  Things I forgot to mention.  (Thank you to the other hosts who did remember; that's what clued me in.)
This challenge runs from Saturday, Oct. 4 through Sunday, Oct. 12.
There will be a RAK for one participant who's name is drawn from my trusty straw hat.
No combining with other challenges -- That's a first for me, but I think it's the way to go for this event. 

My challenge is a very simple one.  It uses the Versa Shadow Technique as demonstrated by Erin Gonzales of Hand Stamped Style in a short video tutorial:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRl3hkM95E.  It’s simple and very effective.  As Erin mentions in her video, it’s a way of making a white-stamped image stand out.  Erin, thank you for sharing this with us.

You might remember Anna-Karin's Layers of Ink Challenge from WSW11 on Two Peas.  She used two-layer stamping to create a more realistic shadow, but that’s not the technique we’re using for this challenge.

For this challenge, you need white pigment ink and a VersaMarker Watermark Pen.  I figured someone would ask so I tried it using the Dove Blender Pen; it was lighter than the VersaMarker, and once it dried, you couldn’t see it.  Of course, alcohol blending pens won’t show up at all.  I even tried it with a TomBow Marker in a darker shade than the stamped image.  If the marker touched the white ink, it colored it.  It was very hard to use and I quickly gave it up.  I tried picking up VersaMark ink directly from the ink pad with a Precision Tips Q-Tip, but I made a huge mess when I applied it to the cardstock.  All those experiments made me appreciate how easily and beautifully the VersaMarker put down the watermark outline.

Here are my sample cards.

The Technique:

1.  Test the Versamarker on the cardstock you're planning to use.  Erin says to use a dark color (probably so the white ink shows up), but not all dark colors work.  It worked on all of my sample cards including some lighter ones like kraft and limeade.

2.  Stamp your image with white pigment ink.  (Do they even make a white dye ink?)  Remember it takes a bit longer for pigment ink to dry so just walk away or do another challenge before continuing.  Use ordinary cardstock, not glossy, or it will never dry without embossing it (unless it's Brilliance pigment ink).  Erin says you can use a solid or line image, but I can't imagine that a line image would work as well as a solid one.  Give it a try if that's what you have.  Probably one that has a lot of lines within the borders would work fine. 

3.  Use a VersaMarker pen to outline the entire image.  This ink also needs time to dry so move the cardstock around as needed so you don't smudge it as you work.  When done, set it aside to dry before making your card.

4.  Use your image on a project.

5.  Use the Keyword TSKINF14 when you post your project in the gallery.  Be sure to come back here to link it up and share your experiences.

I'll be away from the computer most of Opening Day.  As soon as I can, I'll check this thread and respond to your questions.

I hope you have fun! 

Daria 

ETA:  I put the sample cards in the gallery, but I wasn't able to upload the complete description.  I'll put it here, but you might want to go to my scrapbook.com gallery where you can see the details and the cards at the same time.

These are my sample cards for The Shadow Knows Challenge.  This challenge uses the Versa Shadow Technique demonstrated by Erin Gonzales of Hand Stamped Style.  Here’s a link to her short video tutorial:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRl3hkM95E.  It’s simple and very effective.  As Erin mentions in her video, it’s a way of making a white-stamped image stand out.  Erin, thank you for sharing this technique.  I loved the way it turned out.

To easily create a more conventional shadow, check out Anna-Karin Evaldsson’s Layers of Ink Challenge from WSW11.  She used two-layer stamping to create the shadow, but that’s not the technique we’re using for this challenge.

You need white pigment ink and a VersaMarker for this challenge.  I figured someone would ask so I tried it using the Dove Blender Pen; and once it dried, you couldn’t see it.  Of course, alcohol blending pens don’t show up at all.  I even tried it with a TomBow Marker in a darker shade than the stamped image.  If the marker touched the white ink, it colored it.  It was very hard to use and I quickly gave it up.  I tried picking up VersaMark ink directly from the ink pad with a Precision Tips Q-Tip, but I made a huge mess when I applied it to the cardstock.  All those experiments made me appreciate how easily and beautifully the VersaMarker put down the watermark.

CARDS:
Hero Arts Three Ferns Stamp
ColorBox Frost White Pigment Ink
VersaMarker Watermark Pen by Tsukineko
Various Patterned Papers and Cardstock

Card 1:
4 5/8” x 5 13/16”
Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels 18
Antique Linen and Walnut Stain Distress Inks
Best Creation 3D Foam Tape
Cricut-Cuttlebug Embossing Folder, Cherry Blossom by Anna Griffin
Recollections adhesive-backed pearls

Card 2: 
4 ½” 5 ¾”
Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels 18
(I traced around the perimeter of the die to create the mat for the die cut.)
Best Creation 3D Foam Tape
The mat is a piece I made a long time ago using the Textured Pearls Technique.  I used Pearl Ex (Sparkle Gold, Super Russet, and Brilliant Yellow).
Wink of Stella, Clear (on the stamped image)
Swarovski Flatback Rhinestones, SS16, Crystal Copper

Card 3:
4 ½” x 6 ¼”
Spellbinders Nestabilities Lacy Squares
Stampin’ Up! Sincere Salutations (VersaMark Ink, Ranger’s Seafoam Embossing Powder)
TPC Studio Self-Adhesive Gold Metal Accents

Card 4:
4 ½” x 6 ¼”
Spellbinders Nestabilities Lacy Squares
Recollection adhesive-backed pearls

Card 5:
4 ½” x 6 ¼”
Spellbinders Nestabilites Labels 22
Basic Greay Glazed Brads

TFL.
Daria

Oh, my.  I didn't expect the video tutorial to show up right here.  How'd that happen?  I'm going to go back and just write out the link instead of putting in a hyperlink.  It doesn't seem right to have appropriated the video.  We should have to go to her site to click on it.  Am I missing something here?

Well, I went back and got rid of the hyperlink, but the video is still there.  This bothers me a lot.  Isn't it like stealing her video or does clicking on it here give her the same recognition/credit/whatever as if we went to her You Tube site and clicked on it there?

Daria

ETA:  All is well.  Sadie has reassured me that clicking on the video here is the same as clicking it on YouTube.  No difference at all.  Thank goodness.

Daria

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:51:51 PM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: INF14 The Shadow Knows Challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 08:21:02 AM »
I saw your examples last night and I just think they are lovely. I am looking forward to trying this.  I have not used my versamarker a lot, so I appreciate another way to use it.

just walk away

lol, I will try to do that!

Thank you so much for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »
Heidi, I know what you mean about the VersaMarker.  Mine gets dragged out when I need to fix up some detail that didn't emboss the first time around.  Then I forget about it.  I keep thinking I'll try writing with it and then embossing that, but I haven't tried it.  It works great for this technique.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Daria

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 09:20:44 AM »
I do not have a decent white ink pad or a versamarker but I did watch the video to see if I could substitute something else for those.  No, there really isn't much in the way of a substitution for those in this challenge.  Thank you for hosting djc, this is a really interesting technique.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 09:24:30 AM »
This sounds like a great challenge, Daria.
Your samples are lovely. I don't have a versamarker but I might have something that will work well. Gonna check and see! Thanks for hosting O0
LeighAnn

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 09:31:39 AM »
Phew!  You're off the hook Daria!  I love how conscientious you are, and here I was thinking ooh how cool she got the video to play right here in the forum! 

I love this challenge!  I hope my poor Versamarker is not dried out from under use.  When I watched the video I was awed by the impact such a simple technique made.  Ooh, and I have the same stamp she used, and it hasn't seen ink yet.  Time to play!  Thanks Daria!
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 09:51:09 AM »
Sadie, I worried a bit about that too, but I thought most people would have a VersaMarker somewhere, perhaps forgotten, in their supplies.  For the white pigment ink, how about trying a very light color of ink instead?

LeighAnn, go for it!

Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »
Daria, do you think something else like a fantastix picking up the versamark ink would work?  They are more sturdy than q tips.

BTW, my versamarker was only 99 cents at Michaels.  I have written with it and embossed, and fixed a blank spot in an embossed image too. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 11:21:23 AM »
Cool technique.  I've got an embossing pen (not VersaMarker) so I'm going to see how that works.
Sarah

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 03:48:34 PM »
I have a nice starting piece for a card.  Now ... how to finish it off?

Recommendations : walk away from your white pigment ink and get something to eat!  Haha!  I realized I had a shaky hand from too much coffee this morning.  Came back and did the outlining after lunch and it went much better  :smile:

Also, I tried using Dyan Reavely's white spray ink on her blank ink pad.  Has anyone else tried this?  I'm not having any luck with it at all.  I found another video where she "primes" the pad, but my ink is too wet and beading up on the stamp like water.  I haven't been able to get a good impression.  It sure looks good in her videos!  I went back to a Colorbox Frost White pigment pad and that's what I used for my challenge piece.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 09:38:58 PM »
A finished project, woohoo!
I made a birthday card for my Aunt Jackie.

It might have taken all day  :idiot2:, but I had fun doing it!  As I said in the post above, I wasted some time playing around with white ink spray ... then my Versamarker was so old the brush end was rotted and the bullet end ran out of ink ... I actually tried to replace the nib but I didn't have one that fit ...  but never fear, I had another, newer Versamarker!  Yeah!

I really enjoyed this challenge Daria.  I love the results!  I can see myself doing more of this technique.
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 12:39:12 AM »
Cindi, I love your card.  Isn't that a fun technique! 

Sarah, I hope your embossing pen works.  Let us know.  I believe that not all embossing inks are the same; I think I read that some, like VersaMark, are also watermark inks, but not all are. 

Heidi, you made out.  Nora and I were at a Michael's today, and they didn't even have a VersaMarker.  She ended up at a stamp store where it cost $3 something, and we thought that was a good price!

See you in the morning.  Did anyone watch the Giants Game today?    :smile:

Daria

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 09:40:40 AM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 10:52:31 AM »

See you in the morning.  Did anyone watch the Giants Game today?    :smile:

Daria

The New York Giants will be playing soon, lol. 

I don't really follow sports, but I have a couple family members who do. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 02:36:03 PM »
My embossing pen worked.  O0  I'm just waiting for the liquid pearls I added to dry so I can finish assembling the piece.  I was a little worried the pen wouldn't work because if I use it on white paper, it comes out a pale green.  But it worked fine on the piece I did yesterday.
Sarah

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 03:25:07 PM »
Sarah, that's great!  What kind of pen was it?  Maybe someone who doesn't have a VersaMarker will have yours instead.  It's always good to know about things we can substitute.

I'm curious to see your card now.  I'll check back.

Daria