Author Topic: "Color it In" Challenge #1 - Water-based Markers (1/10 - 1/17)  (Read 4910 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: "Color it In" Challenge - (1/10 - 1/17) Water-based Markers
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 12:11:51 PM »
Sarah, that scene looks fun to color! I am glad you are enjoying your markers. Thank you for participating!
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 04:37:37 PM »
I did it! I finally got out of my rut and made a card!

Sarah, that card is so cute! I purchased some of those images during Black Friday and have yet to ink them up!

I fully colored all of my images and came back to it the next day. The colors didn't move much when I added water or even blend out much. Oh well, I'm still happy with how it turned out. Thank you Heidi! I, looking forward to more challenges, I really enjoyed your design ones last year.
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=2287
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 06:57:09 PM »
Awesome, LeighAnn!  Thanks for playing a long!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 07:40:54 PM »
I've been resisting the coloring book fad, just because I have so many stamps I can color!  I had to buy this Magnolia - Jingle Bell Tilda, because she's ringing a handbell, and well, I ring.  I don't think I've ever inked her up and colored her in.  Thanks for the challenge! 

I stamped with Versafine Onyx Black on watercolor paper.  I used Tombow markers to partially color (mostly outline) and then blended the marker out with a waterbrush.

At first, I stamped using Memento ink because I thought that was supposed to be good with coloring mediums.  Well, it bled!  So then I heat set it for a minute, and it still bled.  So I switched to Versafine ink.  Well, just now, after an hour or so, I looked at the Memento label and it says, yes, it should be good with watercolor, once dry.  So I tried it again (it's probably an hour since I stamped it), and they are right, it does work!  It just takes a long time to dry I guess!

Bonus:  Hooray!  My first Christmas card for 2016 is done!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:43:11 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 08:07:26 PM »
I just went back and checked out all the other colored images.  It was fun to see what everyone did.

Sadie, I'm not sure how you colored over distress ink without it smudging?  It was nice to see what you did with the 3 different water-based markers.

Jan, I can't find your image! 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:09:44 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 08:10:51 PM »
I am not crazy about most of the coloring books because the designs are so small  and the actual page is bigger than I want to color. I did see one with designs I liked, but I tried it and the paper was AWFUL!  I think Prima came out with a coloring book on watercolor paper, and the pages can be taken out to make wall art.  That might be fun.

Ooo! I like the coloring on your Magnolia stamp, Iring!  Also, you definitely taught me about the Memento ink. I did not realize it was okay for water based markers once it was dry!  Cool!  I usually use the Versafine, but sometimes that does not work that great on watercolor paper (for some reason I feel like it is harder to stamp with on that.)

Thanks so much for participating in this challenge! 

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 09:00:44 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 08:35:53 PM »
LeighAnn - The stamps I used were part of the purchase I made during POD's Black Friday sale and it was the first time I inked them. 

I didn't realize you could use Memento ink with watercolors once it dried.  The last time I tried it, the ink bled so I've just avoided it since.  I'll have to try again.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 04:24:23 PM »
Here is a link to Jan's entry, if anyone missed it.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pid=2273&uid=526#top_display_media

I thought this was fun to host, so I will be back with more after Winterfest!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 06:37:46 PM »
I missed Jan's entry, and I can't get the link to work either.  Oh where oh where did Jan's coloring go?
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 07:51:16 AM »
Thank you Sadie!  I am afraid Cindi and I must of cross paths as I moved my card in the challenge folder.  Duh, didn't think about that changing the link...sorry...Jan

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 10:16:15 AM »
Thank you Sadie!  I am afraid Cindi and I must of cross paths as I moved my card in the challenge folder.  Duh, didn't think about that changing the link...sorry...Jan

Oh, I am glad that is cleared up, I couldn't figure out why some of us could see things and other of us couldn't! 
~~Heidi~~