Author Topic: WF15 Faux Patina Challenge (open 2/21-3/1) WINNER ANNOUNCED  (Read 14939 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
WF15 Faux Patina Challenge (open 2/21-3/1) WINNER ANNOUNCED
« on: February 12, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »
Welcome to Winterfest 15!  :smitten:

My challenge is to do a background technique called Faux Patina!  You will need cardstock, an embossing folder, inks, an Embossing Ink Pad like Versamark and a metallic embossing powder. 

Rules:

1) Follow the technique steps below to create a background panel.
2) Share a photo of your panel in the Artsy Inkers gallery.  Please leave a note in this thread with a link  to your gallery post. (just ask for help if you have trouble linking, etc)
3) There will be a RAK from my stash to a random participant.  You will receive 1 entry for doing the technique and sharing at least one background panel and 1 additional entry for each completed project you share.  Completed projects may be cards, ATCs, scrapbook pages, etc. 
4) You may combine this challenge with any others that are combinable!

Technique steps:

1) Emboss your piece of cardstock with any embossing folder you wish.
2) Sponge on at least 2 different ink colors, starting from light and going to dark.  At this point, you will probably want to set the piece aside to dry completely, or dry with a heat gun.
3) Lightly press the Versamark ink pad on the panel, mostly focusing on the embossed (raised) portions.  Add your metallic embossing powder.  You may want to brush away embossing powder if you want there to be less metallic portions. 
4) Heat emboss the panel. 

Now you are finished and can share your project in the Artsy Inkers gallery and make it into a project!

Please ask any questions here and share any tips you would like too!

RESOURCES:
Here is my completed card project : Happy Birthday Bird and Flower

Here are my sample background panels:
Grey/Blue/Green with Silver

Red/yellow with champagne

Blue/Green with champagne

Photo and Video Tutorial:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/fauxpatina/ Note: in this tutorial they use 4 inks, I am only requiring two.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:21:20 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
Re: WF15 Faux Patina Challenge (2/21-3/1)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 10:56:57 AM »
This sounds fun! I just bought a metallic teal powder that I can't wait to use for this. Thanks for hosting  O0
LeighAnn

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:01:43 PM »
This sounds very interesting, Heidi. And I have all the 'stuff' to do it.  O0
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 12:14:18 PM »
FYI, don't start yet, I haven't quite finished writing the OP! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: WF15 Faux Patina Challenge (2/21-3/1) STILL EDITING OP- DONT START YET
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
no prob, pal. I was actually surprised to see all the challenge threads today.
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: WF15 Faux Patina Challenge (open 2/21-3/1)
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 01:27:17 PM »
Okay, I think my OP is complete now. Even though the challenge does not officially open till tomorrow, please feel free to ask any questions now!  I am glad to see a little excitement about Winterfest. 

LeighAnn, can't wait to see your teal embossing powder.  This technique was originally designed, I think, to mimic the color of copper patina, so that teal embossing powder might look pretty neat!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 03:04:33 PM »
What a cool technique.  I've got ideas swirling around my brain.  And your examples are gorgeous.

LeighAnn - how cool - metallic teal embossing powder.
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 03:33:20 PM »
Love this technique and can't wait to do it again!

Stampwilly

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 11:00:08 PM »
Oh this sounds cool! 

So Heidi, the idea is not to cover ever inch of raised embossed area like you would be able to do when using a brayer and versamark, right? But instead have portions and parts/pieces that have versamark....
~~Melissa :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 03:35:33 AM »
Terrific choice of techniques Heidi.  I had so much fun when I hosting this one at a 2Peas event...but that was a few years ago and it's a great time to bring this wonderful technique back.  I look forward to playing.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 07:22:33 AM »
Oh this sounds cool! 

So Heidi, the idea is not to cover ever inch of raised embossed area like you would be able to do when using a brayer and versamark, right? But instead have portions and parts/pieces that have versamark....

Melissa, you certainly can cover every inch of the embossed portion if you want. In fact, by putting the versamark pad directly to the paper, you will probably get a little in the recessed areas too. It is kindof up to you how much "metal" you want showing, but I think it should be a highlight, not the main portion.  Does that make sense?

Jan, I do not remember your hosting this technique at TwoPeas, so it was probably before my time.  I think it is great to go back to old techniques too, but this one is new to me!

Have fun and please continue to ask questions if you have any.   O0
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 10:48:48 AM »
I have this challenge open and started.  From the tutorial posted it would seem that a person would want the metalic embossing on just random parts of the embossed piece not just the the raised part.  But is this challenge about the raised part?  Sorry, I am confused again! 
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 11:27:56 AM »
I have this challenge open and started.  From the tutorial posted it would seem that a person would want the metalic embossing on just random parts of the embossed piece not just the the raised part.  But is this challenge about the raised part?  Sorry, I am confused again!

So, I am not going to be picky about where your metallic portions are.  When I did mine, it seemed like most of the metallic stuff got on the raised parts and less in the lower parts.  So your metallic parts can be wherever you like. I honestly think it is going to depend on which embossing folder you use too, so go with the flow?

I hope that helps.
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 12:18:07 PM »
Warning!  Warning!

Be prepared to have lots of pieces of faux patina all over the place.  This technique is fun and addicting!

Daria

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 03:09:12 PM »
Here is the background I made for this challenge.   Linky

I explained how I did the background and the card in the gallery posting.  Here is the finished card.

I am sorry that every single picture I take of a project and every single scan I make is in some way crooked.  Geez.  Please keep in mind when looking at my projects that they are straight in person, I just can't take a straight picture to save my life.

Howdyheidi thank you for hosting this challenge....I had fun trying it out.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......