Author Topic: Time for a stamping conversation  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Time for a stamping conversation
« on: July 09, 2018, 09:18:02 AM »
It’s time to start talking about card-making questions that are on our minds. Here is a start. Please copy and paste the list and answer as you desire. You are welcome to add new questions to the list by adding new questions and numbers at the top of this thread.

1.   Currently what are your favorite types of stamps?
2.   Approximately when was the last 2 times you bought stamps?
3.   What stamp companies made your last stamps?
4.   Do you spend more time looking for supplies on line or at actual stores?
5.   Do you have favorite companies from which you like to make your purchases?
6.   Have you bought any other card making supplies in the last couple months?  Any special likes or dislikes?
[/color]

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: Time for a stamping conversation
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:40:39 AM »
1.   Currently what are the types of stamps you are looking at to perhaps purchase?   Stamps that are easy to watercolor and silhouettes for adding to backgrounds
2.  Approximately when was the last 2 times you bought stamps? this summer
3.   What stamp companies made your newest stamps stamps?  Unity, Impression Obsession
4.   Do you spend more time looking for supplies on line or at actual stores?  Definitely online
5.  Do you have favorite companies from which you like to make your purchases?  The one with the best sale!
6.   Have you bought any other card making supplies in the last couple months?  Any special likes or dislikes?  I just recently bought Tim's newest small guillotine paper cutter made by tonic.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:42:24 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »

1.   Currently what are your favorite types of stamps? 

Realistic -ish flowers and birds to color. 

2.   Approximately when was the last 2 times you bought stamps?

The stamping convention and a few at Tuesday Morning. 

3.   What stamp companies made your last stamps?

Other than design teams stamps, they were Tim Holtz and also Darcie’s LLC.  Darcie’s seems to be very popular at stamping conventions but I barely see them in forums and social media.

4.   Do you spend more time looking for supplies on line or at actual stores?

Most of my looking is organic white browsing forums or looking at social media.  I sometimes see a company or stamp set there that I am interested in. 

5.   Do you have favorite companies from which you like to make your purchases?

Ones that carry rubber stamps for images.  I do prefer clear only for sentiments, although I will buy clear if I like the image.

I have found Tuesday Morning to be a fun place to shop for craft supplies.  You never know what they might have and the prices are fantastic, it is easy to treat yourself to something new.

Online purchases, I do like 123 Stitch.  They have great service and have a slight discount even on new release stamps.  They carry a variety of inks and supplies too. 

Gina K is my favorite for cardstock, but I rarely purchase stamps anymore.  Her inks are great too and I like them to mix and match with Hero Arts dye inks.

6.   Have you bought any other card making supplies in the last couple months?  Any special likes or dislikes?

Yes I bought some number dies from Hero Arts on Amazon.  Amazon prices usually aren’t great, imo, for crafting supplies, but sometimes they are.  I really wanted some number dies on hand for some big number birthday and anniversary cards.  Also they would be fun for kids cards.

I did order an adhesive eraser.

I also got some Yupo paper and a Gelli plate that I haven’t used yet, but will when I have a bigger block of time to work.
[/color]
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:46:56 AM »
1.   Currently what are your favorite types of stamps?  I like so many! I guess I like ones that are
      easy to color quickly.
2.   Approximately when was the last 2 times you bought stamps?  Just this past Saturday. I bought
      the Creative Stamping magazine that had a fun stamp set in it with wild animals. You all will be
      seeing these on my cards for SF18. Two weeks ago I bought some Heartfelt stamps that had a
      butterfly and nice sayings.
3.   What stamp companies made your last stamps?  Heartfelt and Crafty Individuals from Australia
4.   Do you spend more time looking for supplies on line or at actual stores?  In stores mostly
5.   Do you have favorite companies from which you like to make your purchases?  Hobby Lobby,
      Tuesday Morning
      Amazon, Ali Express
6.   Have you bought any other card making supplies in the last couple months?  Any special likes or dislikes?  New Oxide inks which I love. A few dies, adhesives, ribbon. I have loved all the purchases. I try to buy things that I know I will use often.

April :smile:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:48:44 AM by stampwilly »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 10:21:37 AM »
1.   Currently what are your favorite types of stamps?
i rarely meet a stamp I don't like!  Still prefer red rubber.  Lately I've been coloring, but sometimes I'm not in the mood.  I lean more towards stamps that don't need a lot of coloring, or are at least simple to color.

2.   Approximately when was the last 2 times you bought stamps?
Well ... I bought so many at Adventures in Stamping the end of April that I don't think I have bought any new ones since.  I think I bought enough that it can count for two times. 

3.   What stamp companies made your last stamps?
Wendy Vecchi, Right at Home (new to me), Art Impressions

4.   Do you spend more time looking for supplies on line or at actual stores?
Lately, online.   Though I do like to browse stores, just ask Jan!  Ha!

5.   Do you have favorite companies from which you like to make your purchases?
Brick and mortar : Local, Hobby Lobby, further away Everything Scrapbook and Stamps
Online : Somewhat recently found Joggles, I also like Ellen Hutson.  Sometimes I tack a crafty item on to an Amazon order if it's free shipping.

6.   Have you bought any other card making supplies in the last couple months? 
Oh yeah, even though I've tried to take it easy.  I spent some bday money on Poppystamps dies.  I also finally splurged and bought some Neenah Solar White cs.  I think I got it from Ellen Hutson.  I bought a few things on sale at Scrapbook.com.  I added Snow-Tex to my last Amazon order.  I also bought a tool to snip dies on Amazon, recommended by Jennifer McGuire.

Any special likes or dislikes?
Poppystamps : I'm sure I will like, but haven't used yet as we've been away
Neenah paper : like!
Scrapbook.com : I tried their adhesive rolls (looks like Score Tape/Sookwong).  Not happy with the skinny rolls, they are not wound tightly.  Cheap enough that I will keep.  I just hope they are sticky when I get to the loose parts.  I also bought a wide roll of tape after watching one of their videos.  That one is wound better.  I do like their envelopes which they describe as Neenah, or at least they match Neenah.  They are a nice weight.
Snow-Tex : fail!  Amazon has already refunded me.  Luckily it was in a plastic bag, but the lid must not have been on tight, because what I got was a bag with a jar in it covered in what looks like white paint.  I can't even see the label to know it is Snow-Tex.  I threw it out.  If I decide to try again, I think I will purchase locally.  After reading comments, it does sound pretty messy, so I might just use what I have to make snow, like glitter or flocking.
Die snip : fine, better than what I had.  I don't like doing it though.  It's hard to keep those little bits from flying and they hurt like heck when you step on one!

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:53:48 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 10:57:15 AM »
Jan, I'm glad you found Tim's guillotine trimmer.  Do you like it?
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 11:10:17 AM »
I have resisted buying a die snip, but maybe I should. I try really hard to buy from die companies that send them already snipped, but not everyone does it. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 06:49:15 PM »
My die snips did not make it to my new house.  Who makes good die snips? Are there any reviews-I'm not finding them online.  Where do I look to buy snips?

Tim's new guillotine cutter...it cuts very well and I am liking it so far. I especially like the small base that easily fits on top of my desk... but it is still new, only used it about 6 times so far.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:55:54 PM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 07:40:41 AM »
I recently bought die snips on Amazon.

I bought these recommended by Jennifer McGuire.  However, in the Q&A someone asks about die cutting and the answer was that they will for "awhile" .  Says they are meant for soft metal like copper.  I have only used mine on one set of dies.  I'd say they are just ok.

These look like they are made for snipping dies apart and reviews are good.

I thought Elizabeth Craft Designs sold die snips.  I don't see them on Amazon, but maybe they are sold elsewhere?

I think in one of Jennifer McGuire's "Favorite Things" videos she recommends two different tools from Simon Says Stamp.  One was sold out when I checked, theother is in stock.

Maybe someone else has a favorite pair of die snips?  I don't have enough experience with mine yet.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:42:57 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 06:26:15 PM »
Here’s a new question:  Is there anything you wished you had as you were completing challenges this past week? 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 08:39:42 PM »
LoL...for a few moments I would like a laminator for foiling. Can you tell what serious challenge issues I am having today?

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 09:28:17 PM »
Is there anything you wished you had as you were completing challenges this past week?

Yes,
TIME!

I thought this would be a nice free week to craft away.  Ha! 

Jan, sorry about your lack of laminator.  Have you tried an iron?  heat gun?  Some foils don't need heat, just adhesive ...
I bought a new laminator but haven't had a chance to even plug it in. 
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 12:11:02 PM »
Oh yes, time would be good.  Cindi, I didn’t have as much to do as you, but it was a busier week than I expected too!   This summer I haven’t had a single chance to go look at birds, which I did for a few minutes daily during the school year! 

I realized that I thought I had gold foil and I don’t!!!  The foil I have, I got on clearance a long time ago. 

When I was doing April’s challenge,  I wished I had more background stamps!
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 08:58:31 PM »
I recently bought die snips on Amazon.

I bought these recommended by Jennifer McGuire.  However, in the Q&A someone asks about die cutting and the answer was that they will for "awhile" .  Says they are meant for soft metal like copper.  I have only used mine on one set of dies.  I'd say they are just ok.

These look like they are made for snipping dies apart and reviews are good.

I thought Elizabeth Craft Designs sold die snips.  I don't see them on Amazon, but maybe they are sold elsewhere?

I think in one of Jennifer McGuire's "Favorite Things" videos she recommends two different tools from Simon Says Stamp.  One was sold out when I checked, theother is in stock.

Maybe someone else has a favorite pair of die snips?  I don't have enough experience with mine yet.

I purchased the Cheery Lynn cutters from amazon (they were the second link, I think) and had a chance to try them last week.  They work just fine.  You do have to make sure you shield the area because little dies or fragments of metal might shoot across the room, but they get the job done!  We previously had no good tool for this. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 04:37:59 PM »
Thanks Heidi for your review!  I too had issues with small fragments and learned to cut inside a box.