Author Topic: Happy Mail-distress oxide ink (DOX) backgrounds  (Read 4259 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Happy Mail-distress oxide ink (DOX) backgrounds
« on: January 07, 2019, 08:54:36 AM »
Indeed it does seem that many of the techniques we learned using other mediums can now be easily used with oxide inks. I first used this technique over 20 years ago.  It is fast, easy and fun!  I hope you enjoy….Jan

Play Time
This challenge is meant to be relaxing.  No heavy thinking or planning allowed :smile:  Just enjoy watching the inks move!

Challenge: DOX background technique-swiping ink with a credit card and make one card to send another player.

1. Rub a DOX ink pad (substitutions can be made if do not own any oxide ink pads) directly onto a craft mat and lightly mist with water.

2. Dip edge of an old credit card (or similar substitute) into the ink. As well try to collect the ink on the backside about an 1” up the from the bottom.

3. Add ink layers to A2 sized white cardstock by dragging and pulling the ink onto the paper. Heat set when you do not want your overlapping colors to blend.

Requirements for this challenge include: Make at least 3 backgrounds to explore ways of inking the paper to achieve different results. Use at least 3 colors/ background.  Make 1 background into a card and send as Happy Mail to your assigned player. Take photos of all 3 backgrounds and your final card and post in the gallery.  Acknowledge when you receive your happy mail on this thread.

Other inking possibilities to consider:

*Inking in a different directions, leaving some white areas 
*Add some lines by tapping the edge of credit card into black ink or white acrylic paint. No dragging is needed just touch your paper with the inked edge of the credit card to transfer a line. 
*Cut an old credit card into different sized widths to ink different sized areas.
*Cut the inking edge of your credit card into shapes that will result in zigzag, stripes of different widths, curves etc.

Happy Mail-Post a comment below that you want to play in this challenge and I will post your name on my list below and to which player you will send your completed card.

Deadlines:  Post note below that you are playing in this challenge no later than Noon, Saturday, 1/12/2019 Pacific Standard Time.
Mail your card to assigned player no later than Noon, Wed. 1/23/2019 Pacific Standard Time.

Happy Mail assignments:
1.    Jan will send card to: Connie
2.    Connie  will send card to Heidi
3.    Heidi will send to April
4.    April will send to Cindi
5.    Cindi will send to Daria
6.    Daria will send to Jan

Thanks everyone for playing  :smitten:   

Two samples are below.  Click photos to enlarge.

Any questions/comments please post below-

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:10:52 PM by Far North »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Re: Happy Mail-distress oxide ink (DOX) backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 11:27:20 AM »
I will give this a try :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 02:01:03 PM »
I will sign up!  I did this technique about a year ago after I saw Karen D’s tutorial at SCS.  I would like to try again with new colors.  Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 08:32:52 PM »
Thanks Connie and Heidi for saying yes to this challenge...I've entered you names as players!
Connie-#1 and Heidi  #2.

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 09:57:43 AM »
You know me and techniques, so I am in!

Thanks, April :D

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 06:26:26 PM »
Love this!  Can't remember exactly how I did it last time ... with paint? 
Thanks for the challenge.  Please count me in.
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 07:34:27 AM »
Oh yes Cindi, I would bet you did it with paint.  it is a little easier for paint to stick to credit cards. But it is fun to see the colors overlapping with the DOXs.
So glad we have several players so we will see a range of results!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 08:11:02 AM »
I made some backgrounds for this last night at my craft group.  Several ladies were looking over my shoulder.  I did have trouble getting larger bands of color since not much stuck to the gift card.  I wasn’t sure I was happy with the results, but the others seemed to like them.  I need to get them out today and reassess. 

I also was using my cheaper cardstock and wonder if watercolor paper or a coated cardstock like mixed media paper would have gotten better flow of the ink over the paper, and thus wider lines.  What papers are you all using?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 08:52:14 AM »
I haven't given it a try yet, so I can't say what papers, I was going to try and find the video or tutorial that Heidi was talking about, I do so much better with visual, maybe she mentions what kind of paper.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 09:32:27 AM »
I haven't tried it yet either, but here is a Waffleflower video.  Channin uses watercolor paper, and short strokes with the credit card.

I just found a card on SCS where she specifically says she did NOT use watercolor paper, because she wanted the ink to stay on top.  She didn't mention a brand or anything, just cardstock.
Her challenge : here

So there you have it, ha! Jan mentions cardstock too.  Experiment and have fun!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:44:52 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 09:44:40 AM »
Karen D’s tutorial was writtten, not a video. 

Here is here blog:

https://snippets-karen.blogspot.com/2017/05/swipe-your-credit-card.html

And the tutorial written out:

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/try-new-technique-f44/tlc640-%7E-swipe-your-credit-card-%7E-%7B05-29-2017%7D-t618211.html

I am going to check out the link above, too.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 09:46:10 AM »
Oops! Heidi and I were posting at the same time! 

Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 09:47:11 AM »
I haven't tried it yet either, but here is a Waffleflower video.  Channin uses watercolor paper, and short strokes with the credit card.

I just found a card on SCS where she specifically says she did NOT use watercolor paper, because she wanted the ink to stay on top.  She didn't mention a brand or anything, just cardstock.
Her challenge : here

So there you have it, ha! Jan mentions cardstock too.  Experiment and have fun!

I watched the video and mine definitely do NOT have the wide amounts of color like that, and neither do they layer so nicely.  Definitely want to try again with watercolor paper!!!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 10:36:59 AM »
Just a quick reminder that often handmade backgrounds are rather "iffy" until an image is stamped on top. I have a couple stamped images that I have stamped on acetate so I can see how they work with a new technique backgrounds.  It also helps me decide how I may want to cut the background into a smaller size.  I find looking at a gallery is helpful for seeing the special features of a new background that I like best..but that doesn't mean I can achieve the same results nor do I want to...LOL

Heidi your card at splitcoastsptampers worked out Great! ...  Jan

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 11:24:19 AM »
Thanks for the links girls, I will have a look later, I did try looking for it myself on Splitcoast and couldn't find it, so I really appreciate the links.