Author Topic: Summerfest 2019-Reconstruction  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Summerfest 2019-Reconstruction
« on: June 01, 2019, 08:30:48 AM »
Here is your opportunity to create a card layout and then use it to make your own card.  Once you’ve learned this technique you may find yourself looking at artwork all around you that can be turned into card designs.  You’ll find lots of sources like magazines and advertisements.  When something catches your eye, stop and take a closer look.  Is it part of the layout that caught your attention? 

I am providing the image below from a Stampendous 6x6 background stamp for you to use to deconstruct the image and create your own layout.  It can be turned in any direction you choose. And it can be cut down to an A2 size if desired. Be sure to click on the picture at the end
so you can work with the full sized image.
1st step of deconstruction is to look at the image and mentally deconstruct it into possible layers.  Then divide the layers into shapes (You may want to outline the shapes).  There are no right or wrong decisions for this first step but I encourage you to think back to Heidi’s sharing of design principles…I hope you will recall principles like the rule of thirds, balance, movement, flow etc.

Next define what theme you want for your card and review your stamps to find what feels most appropriate.
Begin building your card according to your personally created layout.  Consider using more than 1 coloring medium, several stamps and at least 1 stencil, a little dimension and some embellishment may be fun too!  You may want to begin by gathering a small collection of options of what might work best together. 

As always you can adjust my suggestions to fit your supplies.  Express yourself and Make it your own!
If you have any questions or tips please share here.  As well please link your completed card in the gallery with the title
FF19:Reconstruction and return to post your link here and share your experience.

Please do not submit your card for additional SF19 challenges. There will be a random drawing and a RAK at the close of this event.
Happy playtime!...Jan
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:15:48 AM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Summer Fest 2019-Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 09:22:57 AM »
This reminds me of a challenge that Sadie did, years ago, where she shared an inspiration piece.  I really enjoyed that, so I know I will have fun with this one too.  I can see some under/un-used stamps getting inky in the near future.  Thanks for the challenge!
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 09:42:37 AM »
very interesting, I think I understand

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 11:18:24 AM »
Oh, this is a thought provoking challenge!  Am I right that should first create a sketch based on your inspiration stamp, and then make a card (using the variety of supplies) using that sketch?  I think I understand the process, but am not sure.

Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 05:52:06 PM »
Heidi, you got the basics on this one! Just remember you don't need to use the same type of stamps as seen in the displayed stamp.
I think of it as a fun jigsaw puzzle.

Cindi, yes I remember Sadie's challenge...I spent several hours on that challenge!  I don't quite remember the details of her process.  I think she used a stencil so we/she didn't have a lot of background to color.  In fact I don't recall the first two steps of determining layers and shapes.

Hope you all have fun!...Jan
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 05:59:39 PM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 09:21:37 PM »
Jan,

Here is the link to Sadie's challenge.  She just used a stencil as inspiration.  We had to re-create the look of the stencil using our stamps.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 09:35:16 PM »
Jan,

Here is the link to Sadie's challenge.  She just used a stencil as inspiration.  We had to re-create the look of the stencil using our stamps.

Thanks for that link.  Now I remember that challenge. I enjoyed looking at some of our older cards there too.  Some of them wouldn’t load for me, but many did. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 07:07:07 AM »
Oh what fun to see the old stencil challenge...thanks for sharing the link!  It certainly was a similar challenge but different in that this one is asking to make a layout sketch and to follow that as possible.

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 04:19:07 PM »
Here is my submission for your fun challenge.  Hope this meets your qualifications correctly for your challenge.  Your image is an interesting one to play with!
Thanks so much for your challenge!

Nora S

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4510#top_display_media

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 08:44:47 AM »
Nora, I am so very sorry that we have a communication gap regarding the use of my stamped image for this technique challenge.
My image is only to be used for the purpose of creating a card layout. Once you are creating a card you must use your own tools and products. No portions of my image maybe used as part of cards.

If you or any other Artsy Inker has any further questions please post them here.  While your card is lovely I am sad to say it will not be place it in the drawing for this challenge.

I am so sorry if my description was not clear enough for you.  I have never worked with the pressure of such a short period to prepare for a challenge as was required for this event. My creative style is one of days of preparation and testing.  I certainly hope this did not affect your work for I always look forward to seeing your wonderful results. Please try again if you so choose.
…Jan

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 10:33:25 AM »
So sorry, Jan, for not understanding your challenge correctly!  I will look forward to seeing what others are creating for your challenge! 

Nora S

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 12:15:19 PM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/F0073F24-5BB3-4D8A-BDFB-D2C6D9E0AEE6.jpeg

Hope I did this correctly.  I made a rough drawing.  I used Tim Holtz flowers cause they looked the same to me.
It was dark behind the flowers, so I used brown paper there, tried to put texture with oxide ink of some leaves.  Didn’t work.  I thought oxides were for dark papers must be wrong. I used lots of different coloring.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 04:26:54 PM »
I have been working this afternoon on this. It has been a fun challenge! I looked at your image and saw that there were 4 sections to the stamp, so I cut 4 panels for my background. I used blue ink around each panel to define them more. As you can see I used a beach theme. I used a cloud stencil on the top 2 panels and a bubble stencil on the bottom 2 panels. I added glitter to the embossing paste I used. I colored the sky on the lighthouse stamp using Distress ink and a water brush, alcohol markers on trees and colored pencils on shells and seahorses. All stamps are from Just For Fun.

April :smile:

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4516#top_display_media

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 06:26:59 AM »
Thanks April for creating and sharing your card!  I am so happy that you created a design the connects to a favorite theme for you and your family! Thanks for playing!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 08:20:52 AM »
I’m having trouble coming up with ideas for all the challenges, but am making progress on the sketch part for this one, at least...
~~Heidi~~