Author Topic: Winter/Christmas cards- Let it snow? and photos?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Winter/Christmas cards- Let it snow? and photos?
« on: October 11, 2014, 09:16:51 AM »
When you are making winter/Christmas cards do you stay away from snowy scenes for those who live in warm areas where there generally is no snow?  And also for those who live in the warmer climates do you have any thoughts about your preference for cards you receive?

Did you receive an increase in commercial photo cards last year?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!...Jan

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
Re: Winter/Christmas cards- Let it snow? and photos?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:55:10 AM »
That's an interesting question Jan. I never even thought about it. When I lived in the desert I liked getting snow cards because we didn't have any. Now that I live in the snow, I still like snowy cards, lol.

As for commercial photo cards, I usually receive 3 or 4. But I also only receive 10 or 15 cards each year. I send out more than I receive.  ::)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 11:56:52 AM »
I don't mind at all what style Christmas card it is.  I figure it is a representation of what the sender likes at the time or it reflects their style.

I do get plenty of photo cards, and I like those too.  I mostly get those from families with small children, although I have seen more people sending a regular card with a regular photo inside since those photos are cheaper to print.
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 12:14:35 PM »
That is an interesting fun question Jan!  HHmmmm…. I haven't thought much about it…but I do know that when I have seen Christmas card with Santa sitting on the beach I always feel "weird" about it.  lol! 

For me I'm more likely to make snow scenes, even for those not living in cold climates---but I do have to say that your question has me rethinking b/c I can see cards going to others on the other side of the hemisphere that are used to warm weather for Christmas, have not seen Christmas/winter cards the way we do on this side of the hemisphere…so now I may be more conscience of it now. 

I too have received more of those photo cards.  The ones we receive are always showing families and how they are growing, so it is neat that it's a timeline of sorts for those sending them.  But I do have to say that I cherish the ones others make and even pick out differently than the photo ones, if that makes sense. 
~~Melissa :)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 09:46:07 PM »
I'm more likely to think about the person who is receiving the card than where they live.  If that makes sense.  For example, I make a card with trains for my dad each year. 

As someone who lives in a state that is rather warm at Christmas time but who grew up in the north, I like winter scenes on the cards I receive and the ones I make.
Sarah

Offline gingerd

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 07:39:10 AM »
Here are a few winter cards! I make them to have them ready to go. Usually my winter friends get them.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 07:58:37 AM »
Great winter cards, Gingerd!  I love the piles of snowballs! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 11:16:24 AM »
I love your winter/snowy cards gingerd! I love making them even though I live in the South. We do see snow every once in awhile. I like any Christmas card. I make all kinds of Christmas cards and then choose one to fit the person I am sending it too. If they have small children I tend to send a cute card, male a reindeer, etc. I have been getting a lot of photo cards too since a lot of my friends are grandparents! I guess we will be doing that some day too, but it may be a few years down the road since my boys are taking their time getting steady girlfriends. LOL!

Stampwilly

Offline gingerd

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 04:15:09 PM »
Thanks ladies! I enjoy making winter ones as I love how delicate the snowflakes are.