Author Topic: Your card can make a difference!  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Your card can make a difference!
« on: October 08, 2015, 08:05:28 PM »
While I was “off the grid” Becca Cruger, of the Damsel of Distress blog announced a “Hop to Stop” as an effort to raise awareness regarding domestic violence (DV).  This is the 1st I have seen a hop for this cause.

The need to bring awareness to this issue is great:1 in 3 women will experience domestic violence over the course of their lifetimes. Yes, even if you have been fortunate enough to personally not be effected by DV you probably know someone who has. But many victims are forced to live in silent fear and possibly are suffering with physical or mental issues.

Unfortunately here in Alaska we have the highest rate of DV in the country. Many of the women have severe lasting effects which often began in childhood.  My last job involved helping them to find resources to support their lives as they try to make new choices. Raising community awareness is a slow, hard process for this problem which generally is not discussed.  We as a society need to start talking so changes can be made.

I have started to make a card to support this cause and blog hop and very much hope you will consider it too.  Becca has gathered support of 15 stamp related companies who are offering nearly $600 in prizes. Stampers are to link purple cards on her blog before Oct 14, 12noon CST.  If you don’t have a public gallery to post your card so it can be linked I will be happy to make a separate post on my blog for you to share you card with others.  Of course Becca has lots more details on her blog so I encourage you to check that out as well as the thumbnails of current entries.

I am so pleased that cardmakers are beginning to take action to raise public awareness about DV. I only wish I could have shared the information earlier with Artsy Inkers.  In appreciation of the AI stampers who do  make time to create a card I will send each player a stamp.

Thanks so much for considering this cause!...Jan
Link to Damsel of Distressed Cards
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 12:39:35 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Your card can make a difference!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 09:22:53 PM »
Thanks for sharing. i have not been out much in blogdom lately and I did not know about this event. I am not sure if I can participate but I will try to. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 10:00:57 PM »
Thanks Heidi for leaving a comment and trying to make a card!

Sometimes I feel like blogdom is one big commercial. I am not sure if that's your feeling or not but it sure has changed a lot since blogging began. 

Do know I understand that everyone has limited time. If this does not fit that is okay! With the short time available it looks like I will be making a card that is fairly clean and simple.  Cards only need to be purple but they can be any theme.

....Jan

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 01:02:03 PM by Far North »

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 02:06:58 PM »
What a great cause, Jan. Thank you for the link. I will try and see what I can do.
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 10:21:46 AM »
Definitely an important cause.  Thanks for sharing the info.  I'll have to see if I can get something done. 
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 01:03:44 PM »
So glad to see your posts LeighAnn and Sarah!  Hope you do have time to create a card!  Let me know if you have any questions.
...Jan
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:40:51 PM by Far North »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 03:16:20 PM »
After I read about the Hop to Stop I went right to work and made my card! This is so needed! South Carolina is right behind Alaska with this issue. Here is the link to my card.

http://stampwillydesigns.blogspot.com/2015/10/domestic-violence-awareness-month.html

Stampwilly

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 05:45:45 PM »
April, I am so pleased that you were able to play in this hop!...And here I thought you would miss it with your travels.  But you leave all the rest of us in the dust as you are the 1st to post and you made a beautiful card too!  Thanks for sharing some details about domestic violence on your blog.

I will be sending a stamp to all the AI players on the Hop to Stop after the postings close.
...Jan

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 03:47:07 PM »
Yes, I finished my cards...and posted on my blog..  Thanks for your consideration of making a card...Only a few more days!

...Jan