Author Topic: Winterfest Chat  (Read 8715 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Winterfest Chat
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2018, 01:51:44 PM »
It is a beautiful sunny day today and 60! I plan to walk in a bit. Hubby and I just cleaned out half the attic and hubby hauled off a bunch of trash and will be taking some stuff to goodwill. Glad to fet some of that done!

The meal was delicious at the steak house we went to last night. I have heard about this place for years and have never gone. I had beef tips, rice pilaf and fried okra.

I have finished all the WF challenges. It helped that hubby was gone. Now I hope to work on the Christmas all year challenge soon.

Have a good day!

April :smile:

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2018, 09:10:11 PM »
Traveled most of today.  Will try and craft tomorrow.  I enjoyed the time with my son and daughter.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2018, 10:48:01 PM »
I finished the last of my 3 cards for CraftNerd's More with Less Challenge.  Yippee! 
I used a tiny bit of my Wooden background to cut a pole.  I still need to make a card or something using a larger portion of "wood".

We went out for pizza tonight and then stopped by the county fair just for a bit, since it was free admission for opening night.  We mostly wanted to walk through the 4H animals.  I also like looking at the school kids' artwork.  We don't have much in the way of adult arts and crafts.  There were some crocheted and knitted items and amigurumi  critters, a few quilts, a cross-stitch piece ... it's a pretty small fair.  Oh and I saw maybe 3 jars of pickles and 3 jellies or jams, ha!  Kind of pitiful.  I grew up about 15 minutes from the NY State Fair which was much larger with more competition in the cooking/baking, fine arts, crafts etc.  Ooh, one neat thing one of the schools did : they made some sort of paper mache (I'm guessing) alligator and it was covered with individual pine cone petals for the scales!  They had a figure of a boy sitting on it leaning over looking at something with a magnifying glass, and there was a turtle in the scene who's shell was a soccer ball cut in half!  Very clever.  They asked people to vote for their favorite, and that was mine.  I think the school might win a little bit of money.

i found a good way to do reverse stamping today while trying to refresh my memory in order to make my last WF18 MWL card.  i think maybe I'll put it in the technique section of the forum.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2018, 06:13:28 AM »
Yesterday afternooon, Jan emailed me to say she was locked out of the forum and the password recovery wasn’t working.  I PMed Sadie to see if she could help, but at this time, I think Jan won’t be able to post her projects. 

Cindi, the fair sounds like it was a fun diversion.  Is it typical to have them in winter?  I wonder if some people are too busy this time of year to make stuff for it?

Yankee, glad you had some good family time!

April, your steak dinner sounds good. 

I got some nice new stamps at the Post office yesterday.  I got some sharks, and a sheet of 4 different pretty bouquets.  I cut some lilac branches and brought them in to see if I can force them.  I had limited success last year.  I wish I had som access to forsythia, because that is probably easier to force.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2018, 08:34:23 AM »
Looks like Jan is back, hooray!

Good luck with your lilacs, Heidi.  Where I went to college (Rochester, NY) they had a lilac festival in May.  It was beautiful, but unfortunately most of the students had left by then.  I was lucky to see it one year.

Yes, our fair is always in February.  It would be unbearably hot in the summer.  We talked to a man demonstrating wood turned bowls last night who said there is stiff competition to get in to the FL fairs in the winter.

Happy weekend! 
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2018, 07:46:02 PM »
I am back from the If Gathering, it was a great two days with the ladies but it is amazing how tired you can get by sitting and listening to speakers and then just sitting around talking.  I got home so late last night that I never touched my computer but tonight I am trying to play catch up, on emails and here. Tomorrow afternoon I will get working on my projects can't wait to get to them.
Glad Jan was able to get back in.  Hope you had a nice dinner Heidi, I don't care for last minute like that either.  Shiela I am glad to hear you had a good visit with your Son and daughter, those are precious times I know.
Cindi, that is so smart that they have the fair when it is cooler, I know some of them can get pretty hot up here so I imagine down there it would be unbearable.   We have gone to a few small town ones that were barely anything ourselves.
April, it is always fun to try out a new restaurant and even better if the food is really good. Bet it did feel good to clean out the attic, there are a few things I would love to clean out but hubby just doesn't have the ambition.

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2018, 12:42:32 PM »
It is about 18 degrees warmer today than yesterday, but very windy. We had lots of rain last night.

I am sorry about the Bingo words but will post them tonight and we should have a winner!

I plan on working on the Christmas All Year challenge today since I did not get to it yesterday.

Hope you uall are having a good day.

April

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2018, 01:48:32 PM »
Its warm and windy here too.

I've been watching the Olympics opening ceremony (I recorded it) while I work on Winterfest.  Just finished the Bingo Twist, now to see if I can produce any Art4U worthy of framing, ha!

I look forward to seeing your Christmas cards, April.  I need to get on that soon. 
Cindi

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2018, 04:07:30 PM »
I think I have done all, except the twist card.
I did a mock up last night and could not get the arm part correct.
Watched some different u tubes on same card, I think I found out what I did wrong.
But don’t know if I will get it done in time?
I am terrible on measuring and cutting perfectly.  I do better guessing or eyeing the cuts.
But on these kind of cards can’t do that!
I did the color explosion and stencil paste last night so they could dry overnight
Just finished them up, now on to the last one!

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2018, 07:22:05 PM »
I finally got a chance to work on some Winterfest pieces today.  That was after I took the dogs on a hike with my friend from work and her dog.  We went to the black bear wilderness area and did about a 2 mile hike.  I glad we went early before it got hot out.  It got into the mid 80s today.  Winter is over.  Puppies spent most of the day sleeping. 

I managed to get pieces finished for all but 2 of the challenges.  Now I need edit my photos and post them.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2018, 08:01:31 PM »
I’ve seen to many great projects in the gallery this fest.  I had a lot of fun.  Didn’t get the Bingo twist done, but pretty much did everything else, even if I did make a mistake in Jan’s challenge.   

Just wanted to say, don’t forget that there is the Christmas All Year challenge and Use It or Lose It challenge in the regular challenge area.  And anyone can start a new challenge at any time!

I have been dragging today!  It has been rainy and overcast, but warmer. 

I thought it was funny that I still didn’t get 10 words in Bingo! Congrats to Sarah on that!

~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2018, 08:20:29 PM »
Finally got all cards done!!!  But you should see my dinning room, so cluttered that I had to eat dinner standing in the kitchen.  What a mess!  I am too tired to clean up.
I plan to use the blue color explosion on a Christmas card as a night sky.  But not right away.
I have ten ATC to make for a local group, due thurs. I have the idea which is half the battle.
I need to take my cards for the local group over tomorrow, but they are done.  BUSY week.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2018, 10:15:39 PM »
You do have a busy week Sheila!
I have the idea which is half the battle.
You got that right!

I had to go to plan B with my Bingo Twist chalkboard piece.  I fought and fought with a word block stamp and could not get a clean stamp and embossing.  I tried Versamark with white EP and white ink with clear EP ... finally gave up and went in a different direction!

I feel your pain Heidi (stamping words) on ART4U piece!  I stamped one too many images on a piece I was making for CraftNerds More with Less challenge  :-\

I finally finished all of the challenges.  I spent all afternoon and evening playing with alcohol inks for my ART4U.  I need more practice! 

Yep!  Dinner was a challenge tonight.  Hardly a clear counter to put a plate on in order to fill it.  Luckily DH was very patient.  I'm pooped too.  Will probably leave most of the clean up for tomorrow.  Crafting is hard work, haha!

DH left a tissue in his sweatshirt pocket from his ski week ... guess what went through the wash with the darks?  Ugh!!  I'm hoping most of it comes off in the dryer.  An extra rinse cycle in the washer didn't touch it.

This was a fun week!  The gallery is amazing!  Heidi, thanks for reminding everyone we have ongoing challenges.  Don't put all your toys away  ;)
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2018, 10:21:54 PM »
I actually managed to get all the challenges done, it helped that our church was cancelled today due to icy conditions.  I guess our parking lot at the church was a sheet of ice. There was icy patches on our road and the driveway and sidewalks were all ice but it all melted by noon.

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2018, 09:12:55 AM »
Yes, the gallery is full of great art work! Today is cloudy and warm. Tomorrow the temps are supposed to drop about 20 degrees! Then we go back up again.

I am having 2 stampers come over tomorrow to stamp so I need to clean up my craft room just to get it messy again! LOL! ::) I have one more card to make for the Christmas challenge, so hope to get that done today and then clean up. I need to clean some of the house too and make soup and salad for the ladies tomorrow. I have a busy day!

Also our son from Charleston will be here on business tomorrow, so we will take him out for an early supper so that he can get home at a decent hour. Looking forward in seeing him.

It has been a fun fest! I enjoyed all the challenges. I hate to see it go, but the next one will be here before we know it.

April :smile: