Author Topic: Share a Tip/Ask for a tip  (Read 5464 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Share a Tip/Ask for a tip
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:22:27 PM »
This will be an informal chat (you don't have to both leave a tip and ask for one if you don't have both at the same time).

I decided to start this thread after discovering/vaguely remembering something yesterday.

How to unsticky your stamp positioner or acrylic block?
Olive oil!  O0

I was lazy and used double stick tape to attach an unmounted stamp to my stamp positioner ... then I couldn't get it completely off.  I used Dawn dish detergent, Citrus spray cleaner, rubbing alcohol, elbow grease, ha!  There was still sticky residue left.  Then I remembered hearing oil could remove sticky stuff.  I don't have baby oil so I used olive oil and it worked like a champ.  A little olive oil on a paper towel took it right off.  Then I just went over it with a little dish detergent so it wouldn't be oily.

The tip I could use is :

Do you have a favorite vellum adhesive?  I haven't used vellum in awhile (until tonight) and I can never remember which adhesives work well without showing through.  I ended up using Scotch Quick Dry liquid adhesive because I could hide it behind some stamping (butterfly body).
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Share a Tip/Ask for a tip
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:59:25 AM »
Good thread idea!

Especially since I have two acrylic blocks with double stick tape stuck on them.  I am lazy with unmounted stamps too.  I will give it a try.

I usually use glue dots behind some stamping when I adhere vellum.  I have never tried any of the vellum ahesives. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:51:12 AM »
Thanks for the oil tip. I have some very messy acrylic blocks with sticky tape, so I will try this!

I use my double sided tape runner on my vellum and you usually can't see it behind vellum because it is light weight.

Here is a tip I did today on my cat card. I had stamped the saying in red and then I went back with a red marking to go over a letter and saw that my hand had smudged the ink a little. I think because it stayed juicier since it is near 90 in my craft room! So I dabbed red ink very lightly over the whole saying and it looks distressed now.

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 11:45:44 AM »
April,
Great idea to make your smudge look intentional!  It fits the background stamping too.

I will have to try my tape runners on vellum.  I just couldn't remember if there was one brand that was better than another.  Last night guess what popped up on Pinterest?  A method of adhering vellum by pouncing the back with a sponge dipped in Tombow mono liquid adhesive.  I haven't tried it yet though ... not everything on Pinterest works as advertised.

I used a Tombow mono sand ink eraser to clean up more than one smudge when I was making Christmas cards!  I needed to do some trimming on my TH cling stamps.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 12:38:17 PM »

Here is a tip I did today on my cat card. I had stamped the saying in red and then I went back with a red marking to go over a letter and saw that my hand had smudged the ink a little. I think because it stayed juicier since it is near 90 in my craft room! So I dabbed red ink very lightly over the whole saying and it looks distressed now.

Good idea!
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »
The Tombow mono sand eraser is wonderful.  I had never heard of it until Jennifer McQuire used one in a video I watched not too long ago, so of course since it was Jennifer I ordered one and love it......I have always had a zyron glue eraser but between the two I can clean up any booboo.....

I also use the double sided tape to stick unmounted rubber stamps to things.....and have some things that it does not come off of easily so I will need to try the olive oil trick....thank you for that tip.....

My tip is if you are using any kind of spray ink you need a box to spray it into, no matter how careful I am it gets all over everything unless I lay the piece in a box, any box big enough and then spray.......I also sometimes lay a nonstick craft mat in the bottom of the box and then pull it out and use the spray it collected on the project or another project....or wait and use it another day cause it takes a while to dry on the craft mat......

When using stencils I have a plastic container that is flatter with some water and some liquid soap mixed in the water and lay the stencil in that as I work and it keeps it from drying out.  I use one of these.  Then when I am all done I will take the container with the stencils and go down to the kitchen sink (which is bigger then the bathroom sink) and wash them. 
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 07:46:47 PM »
Great tips, Sadie!

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 08:23:07 PM »
These are definitely some great tips.

On the vellum question, I usually use glue dots and hide them with embellishments.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 06:44:33 AM »
Here is my tip. I think it was April, on another thread, that said to keep things in a clear bag so you don't forget about what is in there.  My tip for using up your scraps is to keep them all in a clear bag or box on your workspace and go to that first when you are choosing things for your card.  I have been doing this for 6-8 months now and I have significantly reduced my scrap box AND it takes less time to make a card because I have less choices.  (For me, a scrap is anything a half sheet or smaller.)
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 08:53:52 AM »
Thanks everyone for sharing some awesome tips!  Keep 'em coming  O0

My tip for the day is to use Poster Tape to attach unmounted rubber to your acrylic block or stamp positioner.  It can be a little pricey but peels off easily.  It just happened that I didn't have it with me when I went for the regular double stick scotch tape and made a mess (should have used glue stick, that's not bad either).

April, clear is key!  It helps to see what's in there.  I've mentioned in the past that I've watched a lot of Totally Tiffany videos on organization and she often says ziplock bags are a good way to go.

Heidi, hooray for you for using up those scraps!  I keep my solid color scraps in a clear pocket that also acts as my divider between colors.  So if I'm looking for red, I can go to the front of the red section first ... if I remember, ha!

Sadie, you are absolutely right.  I can't spray without a box either, therefore I rarely spray.  I make a mess!  How do those youtubers do it?!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:02:48 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 09:10:52 AM »
Cindi, may I ask what brand of poster tape you use?  I would LOVE to try it. I currently use cling foam for my unmounted stamps, but it would be cheaper to skip that!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 11:07:49 AM »
Yep, I would like to know about the poster tape too!

I have been trying to get rid of my scraps too. I think it will take me a very long time! LOL!

Here is a tip on storing dies. At first I used a cd case and bought vent covers from the hardware store to put them on and then placed them in the cd case pockets. ( The vent covers are magnetic ). The dies kept falling out and catching on the case, so I went and bought the ART BIN die cases and magnetic sheets. The sheets are sturdier and can hold quite a few dies on them. AC Moore has sales a lot on them and of course you can use your coupons. The case gets heavy, but if you want to take some with you or use some, you just take out a sheet or two to take with you. Also there are little tabs at the top on both sides and that is where I write the names and company of the dies using  a fine point sharpie. Some companies want to know the names of the dies you use if you do their challenges. This method has been much easier for me, although it is hard to keep things in categories this way.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:09:27 AM by stampwilly »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 11:23:59 PM »
Yes, I've been able to skip the foam on unmounted rubber stamps!  Especially on good quality rubber (Purple Onion are nice, deep stamps) I don't miss the foam at all.

To mount the rubber to an acrylic block I just add a strip of tape to the block and then press on the rubber.  I usually leave the same strip of tape on my block for that session of stamping and remove it when I put my blocks away.  The tape is a little wider than standard scotch tape.

I'm currently out of Poster tape but I think I can use it on my We R stamp positioner as well.  It's a good thing to buy at Joann's with a 20-30% off total purchase coupon because it's pricier than regular tape.  Hereis a picture of it.  Note the 2nd picture, it has a paper liner.  It is thin just like double sided scotch tape, but less sticky (one reviewer thought it was more like foam tape, it's not.)

To store my unmounted rubber I add a strip of regular double sided scotch tape, or removable double sided scotch tape to cardstock and put it in an Avery Elle clear stamp pocket.  Way back, I stored my unmounted rubber in 3 ring binders.  I started out mounting on cling cushion, eventually went to coating the back with Aleene's Tack it Over and Over and they would cling to the hard plastic storage pages.  Now I'm cutting up some of those storage pages and putting them in Avery Elle pockets.  Lately I don't bother prepping unmounted rubber.  I'm really attracted to Sadie's method!  So many stamps in a little pocket, yet you can still pull out that laminated card to see what you have!  Sadie, does that mean you skip the cataloging?  (oops, realizing Sadie's conversation about organizing was in the other chatty thread, it's late, I'm getting my conversations mixed up!_
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:36:52 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 11:47:34 PM »
April, thanks for the review of the Artbin die storage.  You don't know how many times I've stood in the store debating that!
I recently started adding mine to Totally Tiffany ScrapRack pages.  I am mid-mess!  Some in old storage, some I've moved.  I like the fact that they are in pockets, so if they come off the magnet they are still contained.  I will probably put them in their own binder, or on binder rings because they might be kind of heavy.  Jury is still out on whether I will like this method.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 06:58:16 AM »
Asking for a tip.  How do you curtail your spending once you have a nice stash of supplies?  #>
~~Heidi~~