Author Topic: IKTOBERFEST 2014 -- SECOND CHANCE CHALLENGE  (Read 10159 times)

Offline djc

• Stampers
IKTOBERFEST 2014 -- SECOND CHANCE CHALLENGE
« on: October 13, 2014, 10:38:20 AM »
Did you complete all of the challenges you had planned to do?  Are there still more challenges on your to-do list?  Here's your second chance to complete them.

This new challenge begins Monday, October 13, and ends on Monday, October 20.

The Challenge:

Your task is to complete any INF14 challenge you have not already completed.  It has to be something new.  If you have already completed every single INF14 challenge, then you may repeat a challenge. You'll find all of the INF14 Challenges on the board set aside for Inktoberfest 2014.

Combining Challenges:

You may combine two regular INF14 challenges per project if the original hosts allowed combining.

Requirements:

1. Complete the tasks as described in this challenge and the challenges you choose to do.

2. When you post your project in the gallery, begin the title with INF14 2nd Chance and add the name of the original challenge, for example, INF14 2nd Chance—Lighten Up.  Also, be sure to use two Keywords, the one for the original challenge and the one for this challenge:  SCCINF14.  That way it will be searchable and your project will, hopefully, show up by searching for either the original challenge or this one.  (I believe you need to separate the keywords with a semi-colon.)

3. When you post your project in the gallery, describe it. Tell how you made it and what you used. Also, return to this Discussion Thread to link your post here and to tell us how it went--the good and the bad. Be sure to also go to the original challenge thread and post a link. Let our hosts and hostesses know their challenges continue to inspire us.

Other
A RAK will be randomly awarded on Tuesday, October 21.  If you have followed the instructions, you will get your name in the hat once for each different challenge you complete.

Don't forget to come back here to ask questions and share ideas.

Have fun and enjoy your Second Chance!

Daria
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:24:51 PM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: IKTOBERFEST 2014 -- SECOND CHANCE CHALLENGE
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »
Oh good. I was not sure if you were going to offer this.  Thank you for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 10:51:31 AM »
yeah!  I wondered too.  Thank you for hosting!  I have a few ideas I want to try again. 
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 11:32:21 AM »
WTG, Daria! Always fun to have a nice party Hangover! O0
Daniel

Offline snickerdoodleart

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 12:49:31 PM »
Yay I'm so glad to see this "second chance" challenge. I needed it.

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 09:07:38 PM »
Snickerdoodle, no one needs this second chance more than I do.  I managed to make a card today for my daughter's birthday, but it doesn't fulfill any of the challenges.  I barely was able to squeeze in between getting home from visiting my sister and my daughter getting home from work.

Daria

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 04:24:23 PM »
Started a second try at Sadie's Mixed Media Challenge.  Decided to use a small package of "Easter egg glue" that I've had for a few years. 

When I opened it, it was CLEAR!  I went ahead and used it for my cut-out and then made another exact cut-out to use with no-drip Elmer's glue.  So we'll see what happens. 

Oh and since I have no other acrylic paints (yet!!), I experimented with using the white acrylic paint in the glue with blue Distress ink Re-inker ink and pink re-inker ink mixed in the glue --- so see what that does too! 

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 05:05:15 PM »
Melissa, another way you might try to add color that white acrylic paint is with mica powders.  Do you have any Pearl Ex or Perfect Pearls?  If the reinkers watered down your mixture too much, you might try the powders instead.  I know they work well to color embossing pastes and gel medium.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this works. 

Daria

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 10:11:52 PM »
Good idea Daria!  Yes I have the gold perfect pearls.  I will try that hopefully tomorrow.  TY for the idea!

I went to peek at the cut-outs drying and so far it looks like the swirls I did have lost their shape in the white BG in both glue bases.  I should had taken a "before" photo….didn't realize I would need to until now.     

I had thought to maybe mix the re-inkers in some white acrylic paint first THEN add to the glue, but didn't think of it until after I had already added it to the glue.  I wonder if that would had helped with keeping the swirls.

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 03:47:17 PM »
Well I just watched a Clarity video about using shaving foam and reinkers on cards, it was interesting.  Perhaps you could try the shaving cream instead of the glue?
Here is the video:

http://youtu.be/0rITWhthiPc
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 04:29:33 PM »
Wow!  That is amazing how those cards "print" off with the shaving cream!!!  wow!  I will have to look into this!

Well both cut-outs are dry and I will post pictures hopefully later this evening.  Not sure if I will use them in a card or just redo it.  Bummer thing is that I have now figured out that most of my glue is very thick--so I guess it's drying up.  I do have Elmer's no drip glue---but it's on the thick side, I guess so it'll be "no-drip".  So the shaving cream may be a good option!  TY Sadie!

Oh forgot….Daria I did try to add Perfect Pearls to the white acrylic paint---maybe I needed to add a lot more b/c it just tinted the paint to a cream kinda and you can barely see any sparkle.  Adding it to glue without paint did color it and make it look like the metallic gold acrylic paint I already have (but now I may know how they get the metallic paints!).  I really think the droppers are too watery for my idea of using them in the mixed media challenge.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:31:42 PM by yellowcherrios »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 02:07:15 AM »
Melissa did you get good results with your small pots of acrylic paint? I think I may of missed that post.  I have been watching cause I have a few of those too.

The shaving technique is a fun one.  Do know foam shaving cream must be used...gels do not work. Last time I did it I could only find Gillette foam-lucky it worked perfectly fine.  The stencil technique also looked fun...thanks Sadie for linking the video!
...Jan

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 02:18:43 AM »
Sadie, thanks for the video.  Very cool!  I've never seen shaving cream used with a stencil before.  I love using shaving cream, but I can't stand the smell.  Years ago, I made some marbled pieces, but I wouldn't use them on cards because of the smell.  I aired them out for days, weeks, months.  Finally, I just put them away, and I actually used some pieces a year or two ago--no smell left. 

Does anyone know of a brand of shaving cream that has no fragance or other odor?

Melissa, thanks for reporting back on your experiments.  Good to know.

I went in to the craft room this morning, trying to steal some time to make a masterboard.  I ended up spending all my time trying to rejuvenate some dried up Distress Paint Dabbers.  Sheesh!  Anyone know of another acrylic paint that has a matte, chalky finish like paint dabbers--something that doesn't dry out?  I love that look.   I read something about a matte medium that you add to the paint, but I'd skip the extra step.

Daria

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »
Here is my shadow challenge card:

flower card

I have also some options I wanted to show when you shadow different ares of the flower to show how it changes the look:

Other shadow options for image

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 11:07:20 AM »
Daria I too would be interested to know if there is "unscented" shaving cream---that is the reason I don't use shaving cream.  I do have some and was thinking that maybe after I try the technique I can wrap the finished CS in newspaper for a few days.  The newspaper has worked in the past with other paper items that I have found that had odors. 

Jan, I did not try my acrylic pots with the mixed media technique---mainly b/c I am not finished with the paint-by-numbers painting and wasn't sure if I needed all the paint for the painting.