Author Topic: Creative Challenge - Qtip Pointillism  (Read 792 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Creative Challenge - Qtip Pointillism
« on: October 05, 2020, 09:16:32 AM »
Hi Everyone! It is my turn for the challenge this week. I had not seen this before and I thought is was a fun technique. I hope you do too.

Take about 8-10 Qtips and bundle them together using a rubberband. I made 3 bundles. I found that Oxide inks work the best for this but you can use dye based inks too. Rub one end of the Qtip bundle around on your ink pad to get the end really inked up. Then tap the end onto your card stock. You may go in any pattern you like but I liked the striped look best. You can use the other end of your bundle for another color and tap it on your card stock. I cut my card stock down to 3 x 4 so that I did not have to cover so much of an area. This technique is like a fast pointillism!

Please see the pictures below to get the idea. Use Qtip Pointillism as your heading in the gallery.

Please use one of your backgrounds on a card and also include at least one stamped image.

Have fun!

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Creative Challenge - Qtip Pointillism
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 06:12:32 AM »
That is a unique idea I have never seen before!  Your samples look really cool!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 01:19:47 PM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/9F655DD3-3D58-438A-A167-91A998A8EB88.jpeg

Fun to do.  I made several with different colors.  This one was three shades of blue and I overlapped.
I had this card started with the stamped background and die cut butterfly, so I diecut two more butterfly’s and added words.  I will see what I can do with the other ones.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 02:58:04 PM »
Sheila, thanks for doing the challenge! Your card is lovely. I can't wait to see what you do with the other backgrounds.

April :smile:

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 06:04:50 PM »
I think I only used about 5 or 6 qtips at the same time, just figured I would have to do more stamping, used 3 colors of Oxides, was intending it to be a card for my niece but after I finished and had this piece cut out it just looked like Christmas to me, so I changed my idea and went with that theme.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5217#top_display_media

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 06:11:38 PM »
I am working on project of stamping  cataloging .  Yesterday I was working on the many hot air balloon stamps and decided that was what to do with my orange and red piece I made with the q tips.
I stamped the balloons using the happy birthday one and several other small ones.  Mated it on colored velumn.
Stamped a banner and die cut it, it was too white , I wet the q tips ( which were still laying there)  And stamped the banner,  It worked and I didn’t have to get out the inks.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/37289523-472E-42D4-8F04-7D224D3013D7.jpeg
Born on the fourth of July

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 09:40:10 AM »
Connie and Sheila, your cards are wonderful. I love seeing the color combos everyone is doing! Thanks for doing the challenge.

April

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 09:53:02 AM »
Thanks for the challenge, April!  I love what's been done so far, and the different colors.

Sheila, there is nothing like organizing to make you want to stop and stamp!  Good luck with the cataloging!  I've been working on that too.

When I think of pointillism, I'm reminded of the cover of my Psych 101 book from college! 
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7d/A_Sunday_on_La_Grande_Jatte%2C_Georges_Seurat%2C_1884.jpg/700px-A_Sunday_on_La_Grande_Jatte%2C_Georges_Seurat%2C_1884.jpg

That was a textbook that I actually read cover to cover, or at least skimmed.  The professor's lectures were so boring.  He used the same tests throughout the years and it was common knowledge that the only question on the test that came from the lectures and not the textbook had something to do with bees (they die after having sex with the queen).  I skipped the lectures and read the book.  I've always liked this painting that I first saw on the cover of that book!

Ha!  And that is what I remember about Psych 101!  ::)

Link to Wikipedia article about the painting.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 10:32:34 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 11:49:21 AM »
Wow can you imagine how long that would take to do, so impressive. Isn't it funny the things we remember about some classes!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 03:30:56 PM »
I've been playing with pointillism today.  Thanks for the challenge.

I finished a Halloween card using Stamps by Judith's Tree for All Seasons and some of their other stamps, sticks and stubbies.  I used the qtip method to add color to the tree.

I made a qtip pointillism background and started another card ... hopefully I'll finish that today too.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 09:29:27 PM »
I finished my second card.  For this one I made 3 small circular backgrounds, then stamped tree tops over them and fussy cut.  They blended out a bit when I dabbed them with stickles.  I like the way they turned out!  Thanks again for this challenge.

Trick or Treat
Cindi