Author Topic: Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge – 2021  (Read 2545 times)

Offline djc

• Stampers
Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge – 2021
« on: June 26, 2021, 11:49:00 AM »
Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge – 2021

It may surprise you, but I’m still around.  I just haven’t been making many cards.  I still haven’t made any for Christmas.  I have just about used up my stash of cards so it is imperative that I get busy making new ones.

I am posting this challenge early because I will be out of town the first week of July which means I won’t be making any cards for a while longer.  However, I know that some of you make a lot of holiday cards in July so here is the Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge once again. 

If you are in need of inspiration, check out Cindi’s past Christmas All Year threads; she posts an optional theme each month that you can use if it inspires you.

ETA:  I just signed up for the Card Maker Success Summit.  It takes place July 15-18.  It will have 25+ video presentations by different cardmakers--all Christmas cards!  It is free to watch those four days as they show each demonstration, or you can pay to start the watching pre-recorded videos now or any time you want. 

The Challenge:
You have a full month--July 1 through July 31--to post your entries.  I am going to ask Sadie to set aside an album for this challenge.  If she is unable to do that, please use the album set aside for Cindi’s Christmas All Year! Challenge, 2021.  In any case, please link your cards to this Discussion Thread.  The challenge ends on July 31 at 11:59 pm your time.  If they are in the right album when I check the morning of August 1, they will count.

Remember you must enter only new cards--nothing you posted prior to July 1, the first day of the challenge.  If you have a special technique you'd like to use that does not include stamping, your card will still count.  It would be nice to combine stamping with other techniques, but sometimes that isn't feasible, and I want your cards to be something you will love.  Therefore, your paste-embossed, embroidered, stenciled, Iris folded, die-cut, etc. cards are welcome.

Requirements:
1. Complete the tasks as described in this challenge.

2. When you post your card in the gallery, please label it with the name of the appropriate holiday and add the words "in July." For example, Christmas in July, Hanukkah in July, Kwanzaa in July, etc.  I say that every year, but no one ever does it.  Sigh.

3. When you post your project in the gallery, please describe it. Tell how you made it and what you used.  Some information that you could share:
Stamps:
Cardstock/Papers:
Card Size:
Inks/Coloring Medium:
Accessories:
Technique:

Next, come back to this Discussion Thread to link your post here and to tell us how it went—tips to help us or advice so we can avoid or fix problems.

Prize:
There will be a prize awarded at the end of the challenge.  Your name will go into the hat once for every card you post in the gallery and link to the discussion thread. OK. I already know that the next question is do I get my name in the hat 10 times if I make 10 of the same card. I'll say you can get your name in the hat up to three times for multiples of the same design. Fair enough? There's no limit to the number of different cards you can post. You'll get credit for each different card.

I hope you'll join us and begin making your December holiday cards.  Even though I won't be home, I'll be sure to check the gallery and this thread so I can enjoy your cards.  We can inspire and motivate each other.  Don't forget to have fun!

Daria
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 07:51:50 AM by djc »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge – 2021
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 10:53:11 AM »
Yay!  So happy you are hosting this again Daria.  I love your July challenge!  I hope you will play too, once you are home.
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 02:49:19 PM »
Thanks for hosting! I usually get a lot of them during July.

April :smile:

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 03:53:42 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing all the cards!

Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 01:03:44 PM »
Thank you so much for hosting. I have big plans for this month with an insane goal of 31 cards.

My keyboard is kaput so I won’t be posting much, I am shopping for a new one. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 03:43:43 PM »
That's great.  I'm looking forward to seeing all those cards. 

Heidi, thirty-one cards!  I'll have to get my daughter to help me write out the slips of paper with your name!

Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 04:42:10 PM »
Daria. I have never been so behind with cards.  Plus I have a card kit here that should help. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 09:08:12 PM »
That sounds like a plan.  Last year, I almost bought a kit, but when I went back to get it, it was sold out.  I did buy the stamps that were used so I could more or less create the sample card.  It didn't get done.  Sigh.

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 08:05:14 AM »
I just added this to the original post in case anyone might be interested:

I just signed up for the Card Maker Success Summit.  It takes place July 15-18.  It will have 25+ video presentations by different cardmakers--all Christmas cards!  It is free to watch those four days as they show each demonstration, or you can pay to start the watching pre-recorded videos now or any time you want.

I signed up and ended up paying $39.00 to get access now.  The schedule shows twenty-five videos, but there are also live portions that will become available after they go live.  I counted 30 episodes.  The videos are available through Teachable, and there also is a Facebook Page for chats and sharing.  (I'm not on Facebook so I'll miss that part.) There are many cardmakers who will be new to me, but I recognized some of the names:  Laura Beard, Therese Calvird, Justine Hovey, Daniel West, Carrie Rhoades, and Catherine Pooler.

Daria
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 08:09:07 AM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 09:04:55 AM »
I just added this to the original post in case anyone might be interested:

I just signed up for the Card Maker Success Summit.  It takes place July 15-18.  It will have 25+ video presentations by different cardmakers--all Christmas cards!  It is free to watch those four days as they show each demonstration, or you can pay to start the watching pre-recorded videos now or any time you want.

I signed up and ended up paying $39.00 to get access now.  The schedule shows twenty-five videos, but there are also live portions that will become available after they go live.  I counted 30 episodes.  The videos are available through Teachable, and there also is a Facebook Page for chats and sharing.  (I'm not on Facebook so I'll miss that part.) There are many cardmakers who will be new to me, but I recognized some of the names:  Laura Beard, Therese Calvird, Justine Hovey, Daniel West, Carrie Rhoades, and Catherine Pooler.

Daria

Daria thanks for the info. I hadn’t heard of this. Please let us know how you l8ke it as you view the videos early.

~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2021, 02:42:50 PM »
I started on my kit.  It will make 16 + cards. The one stamp/die combo requires you to die cut first, then stamp, which is not how I usually do it.  It feels all wrong.
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2021, 12:51:13 AM »
Heidi, is there any reason you can't stamp first and then die-cut?  I don't see how it would change the outcome, and it would be easier to do it that way.

Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2021, 05:51:39 AM »
Heidi, is there any reason you can't stamp first and then die-cut?  I don't see how it would change the outcome, and it would be easier to do it that way.

Daria

Yes, it is because the stamps that fit the dies are in two pieces.  The head and feet of an elf, and the holly berries and leaves are separated too.  I think to be easy to have different colors if you wanted. I felt if I tried another way it may not fit right in the dies. I did mess up one elf stamping so I will need to cut another. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2021, 09:03:02 AM »
Well, Heidi, now I'm intrigued.  lol  It sounds like your cards are going to be really cute and worth the extra effort. 

BTW, I haven't watched any of the videos for the Card Maker Success Summit.  My sister and I have been busy sorting her things and taking breaks to recover from our efforts by just flaking out.

I will try to watch a couple of them.  I paid because I knew I would not watch seven demos a day for four days; for me, it's much better if I can just watch them when I want to.
I mentioned it here because it is free on those four days, and I thought people might like to check them out--maybe watch the ones that sound interesting.

Daria

ETA:  I received an email from Justine Hovey about the class.  "When you register and are asked to join VIP, that price is only valid for $15 before it goes up and up and up, so be sure to join straight away to secure that amazing price!"  I thought I'd just watch some of it for free and then changed my mind.  So I didn't pay right away.  Darn.  I would have liked to have just paid $15.00.  I wonder if she meant the price was only valid for fifteen minutes because I don't think I ever saw it as low as $15.00. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 01:11:47 AM by djc »

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2021, 11:30:22 AM »
ETA Again:  Here's a thread where someone gives a lot more details about that class. 

Free Christmas Classes