Author Topic: What kind of challenges are you interested in???.  (Read 6906 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
What kind of challenges are you interested in???.
« on: December 02, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »
I love Stampwilly's ongoing Oldies challenge and I like the swaps too. 

However, I thought it might be a good time to have a discussion about what you would want to participate in during the holidays and in the new year.  I am talking about ongoing challenges, NOT "fest" challenges.

I know most of us like Techniques and those types of challenges usually are well attended. 

I would also love to host more, but want to see what people want to do also.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: What kind of challenges are you interested in???.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 12:01:47 PM »
Excellent 'Q', Heidi!

My fave challenges always involve stamping in some form--especially if they allow me to use my stamps as 'tools'.

I also like any challenge that has a particular material as its base requirement--paper, plastic, metal, fabric, etc.

Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 12:13:08 PM »
Thanks Daniel!  Good ideas!

I hope we get a lot of input.
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 11:28:27 AM »
I enjoy the Christmas card monthly challenge and Stampwilly's ongoing one too. I don't always get to participate but I find them very helpful to go back and work on new techniques or ones I haven't done in a while.

I always enjoy sketch challenges. Sometimes I have a hard time using embellishements and/or pp so I find them helpful.

Photo inspiration are good ones. I also love color challenges. Marshia used to host some good ones(I miss seeing her posts, I wish she would join us here!)

Techniques ones are always a good one.

Here are some new ones that we haven't had in a while
A stretch your stamp challenge
One stamp, different ways
Maybe ones focused on a particular coloring medium?

LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 07:35:15 PM »
I enjoy Stampwilly's Oldies challenge---so I guess I like technique ones the most.  But I do like the sketch ones since it does challenge me in a different way from the techniques ones and I do like the photo ones b/c it helps practice different colors.

LeighAnn I thought of Marshia too last week and her color challenges!   :laugh:  I miss her too and I really liked here color challenges. 

One challenge I have not done, that I saw on Splitcoaststamper when Jan pointed out some examples for me, was one page challenges.  I don't remember what they called the challenge, but they used one 12x12 PP all different ways until the entire PP was used up….so many would make a few different cards, tags, and ATC all using parts of their one 12x12 page.  Kinda neat all the things some made. 

~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »
Yes, I miss the color challenges too!

The one sheet wonder could be fun as a month long one maybe. I have never tried it!
~~Heidi~~

Offline lylacfey

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 01:40:18 AM »
Hi Everyone!

Thanks to Heidi I found all of you! I have missed you all so much. I have missed the old forum more than words can express. I am really glad you all made a new forum.

I am so ready to dig into some new challenges.

I like challenges using found objects. Our trash becomes treasure like plastic lids for example.

Maybe a challenge to make a card a month. I use to have a stash of cards always on hand until I got into cardmaking. A cardmaking challenge would be fun and we would have stash of cards when we needed them.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 07:58:50 AM »
Hi DeAnn!  I am so glad you joined us here!  When Sadie (our fearless site owner) has time to change you to a "stamper" status, check out our chat thread.

Anyhow, I do like the idea of using found objects.  If it were to be a challenge, do you think the host would tell you what found object to use (like a aluminum can, for example) or would we just use any found object.

I think that might be a fun challenge to start soon!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 09:09:29 AM »
...Anyhow, I do like the idea of using found objects.  If it were to be a challenge, do you think the host would tell you what found object to use (like a aluminum can, for example) or would we just use any found object.

IMO it would depend upon the host's approach. Mine would (probably) be to select the 'found' item/material. There's such a wealth of good stuff in the recycling bin/wastebasket.

The 'one sheet wonders' sounds really cool!

And how about a 'shape' challenge? Not only do we have regular geometric ones--circles, triangles, ovals, etc.--but also arches, tags, hearts, etc.  By itself or in combination with another aspect, we could do a monthly shape challenge/swap.

Lots of great ideas! TY All!

Hi Lyla! #>
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »
Hi DeAnn!!  I am so glad Heidi was able to contact you!  I have thought of you often and wondered where you were etc and wished you could join us!  Yeah Heidi! 

I just bought a mixed media book that I noticed on the back cover talks about using recycling and reusing. (The book is called "Mixed Media Revolution"). (forgot to finish what I was saying… heeheh…) I am interested in reading the book and seeing the different ideas for reusing and recycling. 

Oh a shape challenge is a good idea! 

and I am really liking the month long challenges.  I know some do not like that length, but it works for me with everything that seems to pop up in life!    ;D
~~Melissa :)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 03:15:21 PM »
Hi DeAnn!! So glad you've joined us here O0.

Really good ideas so far, I like all of them!

Melissa, I like month long ones too sometimes.

I will not be hosting the tag swap challenge next year( and I still need to put up this months!)
But, I will still be hosting a monthly one and plan to do ATCs. I thought after 2 years a change was do!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:22:23 AM by lovepug2 »
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 09:44:56 PM »
My current challenge interests include exploration of items like gesso, mediums, acrylic paint, stenciling and making our own stamps.

I join challenges here to exchange learnings from the challenge. Month long challenges seem to spread participation out too broadly particularly when they all begin on the 1st.  I prefer a max of 2 weeks or less so we are playing "together." I understand that life gets in the way of playing but that can happen with short or long challenges.  Swaps definitely do need to be longer if mailing time is counted in.

On a similar note February will be 4 months since Inktoberfest ....any thoughts of AI event II?   I will be gone large parts of both Jan and Feb so probably will not be available. 

Melissa-I just finished Sandra Wilson book (author of your new book) on mixed media (not same as yours) and a video.  She has good reviews on Amazon.  Yet I found her presentations extremely vague and lacking connection of the dots between the information presented. I feel I came away with very little new usable information as presented and far more questions.  I hope your experience is far better and would like to hear what you think.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:11:15 AM by Far North »

Offline lylacfey

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 12:57:36 AM »
Hi DeAnn!  I am so glad you joined us here!  When Sadie (our fearless site owner) has time to change you to a "stamper" status, check out our chat thread.

Anyhow, I do like the idea of using found objects.  If it were to be a challenge, do you think the host would tell you what found object to use (like a aluminum can, for example) or would we just use any found object.

I think that might be a fun challenge to start soon!

I think we should pick what we use. Some of the trash treasures some of us might not have like aluminum cans. I think it would be fun to see what kind of creations we come up with using our "trash".

Daniel- I am so calling you out. :) Daniel did a beautiful creation on a lid one time. I was blown away. One of my favorite stamping pieces ever.

Daniel- I love the shape idea. I love to work with unusual shapes.

Melissa- I haven't read Mixed Media Revolution. That one looks really good. I see it's part of Kindle Unlimited. I am going to download it.

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 07:30:47 AM »
Jan, I had thought about hosting a gesso challenge at one time and completely forgot about it! It's such a versatile product and I think it would be good to explore its uses for stampers and those that are in to mixed media as well.

This challenge would be a bit tricky to do but I think it would be fun- a finish this card challenge.
It would sort of be a swap. Example, you would send another stamper an unfinished card or project and have them finish it. You could just send a couple of elements and let them go from there.

I really enjoy the Winterfest party and at 2ps it was one of our most attended, I think.

LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 08:15:22 AM »
Mixed media could be fun.  You could choose one main material to work with and then people could choose the others, or maybe it could be a specific technique like sadie had us do with paint and glue. 

I agree that a host always gets to decide the parameters of a challenge, but it is fun to see what people are interested in too. :)

LeighAnn, thanks for hosting the tag challenge this past two years.  It will be fun to try ATCs next year!!
~~Heidi~~