Author Topic: OLDIES CHALLENGE -- MARCH -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 8103 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
OLDIES CHALLENGE -- MARCH -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: March 05, 2015, 11:25:46 AM »
Hi Everyone! I almost forgot about this ongoing challenge! LOL! Winterfest got in the way. This is an easy technique also. I did this many years ago and love the soft look of the technique. The technique is called chalk popping. Here is a link on how to do it.

http://stampwillydesigns.blogspot.com/2015/02/oldies-technique-2-chalk-popping.html

Please do this technique and make a project with it. Post it in the gallery and also link it here to this post. This will go for the whole month of March and I will give an RAK to a random winner! Have fun!

Stampwilly
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:42:44 AM by stampwilly »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: OLDIES CHALLENGE -- MARCH
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 11:31:56 AM »
Thanks. I enjoy using my chalks and I have only tried this technique once before. I will be happy to revisit it.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:50:38 AM »
I am going to get started on this today, hopefully. 

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:06:01 PM »
Looking forward to your creation!

Stampwilly

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 04:21:47 PM »
So soft!!  I can't wait to try this---I have been avoiding chalks, but I found I had a package of tiny pom-poms and after reading others here on AI using the ones that came with their set, I thought I'd try it.  I really like it more than q-tips!  I seems to not get everywhere as bad...

Thanks April for hosting Oldies Challenges!
~~Melissa :)

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 07:18:05 AM »
This obviously isn't my week for doing challenges as I am having trouble with both that I am doing.  I was using a different visual than you had posted and have not liked the end result.  That video showed using the other type of chalk applicators, the round ones with the sponge at the top.  I was not happy with my results.  Way to messy for me.

As I came back here to add this, visited again your visual ----- am going to try that using the small cotton balls with applicator and maybe I will have better luck.

I am not good with messy products or messy results. 

The stamp I was going to use has stems to the flowers, I am not sure how to keep the chalk in those lines.    Will have to give it a try anyway. 

Does this technique work best with detailed stamps versus open spaced flower stamps.

I haave not used this technique before, thus the questions.   Silly me.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »
Ann I had thought about using those sponge applicators--so I'll be interested to see what you think using the pom-poms and how they compare. 
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 11:57:46 AM »
I believe April says in the tutorial to use a chunky stamp if you have one.  So a more solid image may work best, but I bet it will work with many styles.
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 08:19:26 PM »
I was able to get several images done today. I just need to choose some and see how to make them into a project.  I have a few sets of the Pebbles chalks and they really work well for this technique.  I also recently reinked my versamark ink pad, so maybe that helps too. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 04:26:12 PM »
A solid stamp works much better. Don't worry too much about going outside the stem. The stem will be much darker and you will have a lighter "shadow" on the sides. Apply the chalk lightly, going over the image a few times. This worked better for me and it did not look as messy. Hope this helps!

Stampwilly :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 05:01:12 PM »
Here is my first entry.  It is really pretty fun to do this technique!  It works better than I remember it! 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1239#top_display_media
~~Heidi~~

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 06:04:31 PM »
Here is my card for your great challenge:  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1240#top_display_media

I felt like I was way out of my element when I started this challenge - but finally got my mind in the groove and once I decided on my stamp, it fell together.  I want to try this again. 

Thank you so much for picking this challenge.  I really like how my columbine turned out.  It is fun to watch the flowers wave and bob in the gentle breeze here in Utah and Colorado.  They come in several colors and are so beautiful.  Please enjoy mine.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 06:15:42 PM »
Ann, I love your columbine.  We grow them here too, they spread like weeds and sometimes they seem to cross-polinate and see to change slightly from plant to plant.  It is a flower you can look at for such a long time from all the angles. :)
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 12:43:56 PM »
I saw this the other day and forgot to check it out! I'm pretty certain I've never done this before so Im excited to try it. I love the card you posted on your blog with it.

Ann and Heidi, lovely cards!

I have the pearlescent pebbles chalks. They're a bit light in color but I'm hoping they'll work well.
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 01:12:41 PM »
I saw this the other day and forgot to check it out! I'm pretty certain I've never done this before so Im excited to try it. I love the card you posted on your blog with it.

Ann and Heidi, lovely cards!

I have the pearlescent pebbles chalks. They're a bit light in color but I'm hoping they'll work well.

My butterflies were done with that set, LeighAnn!

Another variation I have seen, that I wanted to try, is to stamp with pigment ink and then pounce the chalks over.  I do not know if it would count for this challenge.
~~Heidi~~