Author Topic: Oldies Challenge -- APRIL -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 4453 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Oldies Challenge -- APRIL -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!!
« on: April 01, 2015, 10:53:10 AM »
Are you ready for another Oldies challenge? I hope you are. This month the challenge is Joseph's Coat with a twist. Instead of sponging your background with colors, you will be using patterned paper! Here is a link to instructions -- http://stampwillydesigns.blogspot.com/2015/03/oldies-technique-5-josephs-coat-with.html#comment-form

Please read the whole instructions because you do not have to use just black ink.

Rules:  Please follow the technique and use it on a completed project
            link it to the Oldies challenge in the gallery
            link the card to this post so all can see it and for discussion

Hope ya'll have fun with this!

Stampwilly :smile:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:25:52 AM by stampwilly »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Oldies Challenge -- APRIL
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 11:39:57 AM »
Fun challenge this month. I am glad to be using patterned paper.  The sponging part is not usually my favorite part!  Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 01:25:35 PM »
This is so cool!  I love the look and how it changes the PP!  Thank you April for another neat challenge!
~~Melissa :)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 07:46:59 AM »
This sounds really fun! This was one of my first techniques I had tried and I always struggled with it.
I cant wait to try out the pattern paper with it!
LeighAnn

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 11:54:17 AM »
Yay! I got to make a piece for this one, Willy!

I'll share a pic soon as I'm able, but figured I'd pass along some things others might find interesting...

I followed April's tutorial--love the way she combines easy instructions with good visuals--but did a few 'twists' along the way...

1. I built my PP 'base' using strips of 3 different patterns/colors. And have to say that the ones I chose were nothing special. In fact, I wondered why I hadn't thrown them away years ago! :D

2. I 'altered' the PP base by swiping it with inks (DIs). Didn't hurt, but still found the base kinda 'nyeh'. 'Sok. I figured the 'magic' would kick in as I progressed. :laugh:

3. For good measure, I used a beloved BG stamp that is very detailed--with few 'open' areas. (can you say "glutton for punishment?").

4. Did all the remaining steps--including using black ink (not required).

5. Guess what! Magic happened! What fun!

Thanks for yet another great 'Oldies', April!
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 10:04:51 PM »
Looking forward in seeing your project, Daniel!

Stampwilly

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 12:54:42 PM »
Look like fun.  Heaven knows I have enough printed paper! 
I'm anxious to see what Daniel created. 

Thanks for the challenge April!
Cindi

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 02:14:18 PM »
Look like fun.  Heaven knows I have enough printed paper! 
I'm anxious to see what Daniel created. 

Thanks for the challenge April!

Your wish is my command, Cindi & April! ;D Our mutual pal Heidi photo'd my entry. :smitten:

As I've already shared on this thread, I tweaked April's PP requirement by using multiple PPs & altering them with ink (DIs).

I'm happy with how the 'JC' turned out, but... I wish I'd played more with the Geisha stamp.

What really pleased me is how 'non-descript' PPs & a detailed BG stamp worked for this technique.

Here's my entry... Kimono Coat
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 03:01:49 PM »
Daniel, your piece is really neat! I like how you altered it. Thanks for playing!

Stampwilly :smile:

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 09:24:17 PM »
I used my received kit to create a card using this technique.

Tree Frog

Thanks for a fun challenge Stampwilly.
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 09:03:46 AM »
Sarah, your card looks wonderful and your background turned out great! Thanks for doing my challenge.

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »
Sarah, your card is wonderful!

This challenge is on my list for this week.  I am trying to decide if I want to go for Chrimstas theme or all occassion.

~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 02:28:22 PM »
Our favorite Nerd did an attached image of the PP (prior to inking) on the April KIAE thread.  ;)

TY, Sarah! I'd forgotten what it looked like originally even tho' I used it for my frog piece, too. O0
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 08:26:15 AM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1493#top_display_media

Here is my entry for this challenge.  I used a portion of my background on the outside and then some on the inside (also in the gallery).

I actually made a background using pink ink first, as I thought I would like that better. However, it did not turn out like I thought so I made one with black and I loved it!  I guess you never know what you will like till you try it, even after seeing the samples on Stampwilly's blog. 

I posted a photo of the backgrounds side by side below.  I think maybe the pink did not work because it was too similar to the patterned paper colors.  Maybe it would have looked nice in green or blue. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 11:03:39 AM »
WTG, Heidi! As I said in my gallery praise, I'd swear the black ink was a diecut layer over the PP. I really like the way you used the floral/paisley PP for the cupcake & inside stamping.

Like you, I much prefer the black ink, but... ::) ;D I wonder what pink ink would look like on the striped paper. As you point out both the colors & patterns of the PPs we use have lots to do with the altered look--not just the color of the inking over.

This Challenge is another great example of how changing just one thing can provide lots of options & results. O0
Daniel