Author Topic: Oldies Challenge -- MAY -- WINNER ANNOUNCED !!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5657 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Oldies Challenge -- MAY -- WINNER ANNOUNCED !!!!!!!!!!
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
Hi Everyone! It is time for a new OLDIES challenge! These months seem to fly by. The technique we will be doing this month is Thumping. I hope you enjoy playing along.  Here is the link to the instructions.   http://stampwillydesigns.blogspot.com/2015/04/oldies-technique-6-thumping.html

Please use this technique on any project and upload it in the Oldies challenge in the gallery and link it here to this post. That's it! :smile:

You have the whole month of May to add your projects. I will be choosing a random winner for an RAK on June 1st.

Stampwilly :smile:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:36:42 PM by stampwilly »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: Oldies Challenge -- MAY
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:56:03 AM »
As always, another great Oldies technique, Willy! TY.

Thumping is definietly easiest to do with markers, but FWIW... I have 'thumped' using inkpads & a small rubber eraser. I pick up some ink & thump it on the stamp just like the markers. The results are very similar to the marker-method.

Hoping I'll be able to play once I make my move this month, April.
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:06:35 AM »
Yay!  One of my favorite techniques!  Daniel, good point about the possibility of using ink pads.  Also, I guess you could use a base of ink and then thump with markers, too.

Looking forward to this!

Thanks for hosting, Stampwilly!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 01:50:21 PM »
Reminds me of rabbits - In Disney there was Thumper.  Count me in.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 08:47:20 AM »
I made two C&S Christmas cards with this technique.  I hope to do more cards using some different images too.

I think I maybe used too many colors on this one, you can't see the variation as well:
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1524&message_id=8885430c053159bc03f93161c0ba556b&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

I really liked how the snowflakes turned out:
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1525#top_display_media
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 02:38:38 PM »
...I think I maybe used too many colors on this one, you can't see the variation as well...

Always a tough call, Heidi. The # of colors, how close they are on the color pallette, the size of the image being thumped, the type & size of the marker nibs are all variables as you already know. That said, I truly like your reindeer in his browns. The variation in tones doesn't trouble me at all. One thing I have found the few times I've 'thump-loaded'? It's very easy to just keep on thumping away 'cause it's such fun.

One (of many) things I like about April's tips is that allowing a bit of 'open space' to show once we've loaded the image with inks. Even with a'clean' stamp that ain't always easy.  :D

Another thing I like about April's blog tips? Her suggestion to turn the stamp while thump-loading. Not only does that help keep from over-working any one section, but also allows us to be (somewhat) less 'random' in where our thumps end up. I can so see trying to do a 'thumped ombre' where there is not lots of thumping of one color over another.

As always--this is an Oldies with lots of possibilities. TY, Willy!
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 03:01:41 PM »
Heidi, your thumping looks great on both cards. Your cards are lovely too! Thanks for doing my challenge!

Stampwilly

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 08:25:36 PM »
I really want to try and do some challenges this month, in a week our daughter and son in law are coming so hopefully I can get to it soon

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 07:57:58 PM »
I have several stamps in front on me, now to pick two and get to work. 

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 11:34:44 AM »
All done and am happy with my card.  Very interesting technique and one that I had not done before.  It's all about the stamp.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1536&message_id=76bb55dab48736e42320f831bface68a&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 04:36:16 PM »
Ann, thanks for doing my challenge! Your card is so lovely and I love the way the butterfly turned out!

Stampwilly

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 05:21:05 PM »
Here is a link to my card in the gallery.  I agree Ann the stamp one chooses really makes a difference for this technique.  Sorry I can not huff before the challenge deadline arrives so I did the next best thing and lightly misted.  April thanks for the challenge!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 07:40:18 PM »
Super pretty entries so far! I am hoping to try some more of this technique this weekend.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 08:12:09 AM »
Amen on choosing an image to thump. I used a fairly large image with an intaglio pattern. And since all my markers are but a (fond) memory, I thumped with DIs & a rubber eraser's tip. That, too, altered the thumping. Plus... I used the same image 3 times to build the project. That allowed me to play with the direction & such as I loaded the stamp with ink. I found myself getting into a rhythm with my eraser-applicator. Fun!

LOL on 'huffing'. I don't do it a lot, but when I do it I'm very vocal. I'm sure my friend Bill thot I was gasping for breath. (I wasn't)  :laugh:
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 01:06:01 PM »
Daniel's entry is up in the gallery! It is a wonderful piece of art. Thanks for doing my challenge, even with the move!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1548#top_display_media

Stampwilly