Author Topic: Oldies Challenge -- August -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!! Plus more  (Read 5129 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Oldies Challenge -- August -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!! Plus more
« on: August 01, 2015, 09:08:41 AM »
It is time for a new Oldies challenge! I hope you will enjoy trying this one. This challenge is called  "colored pencil shadow."  Here is the link to the instructions.

http://stampwillydesigns.blogspot.com/2015/07/oldies-technique-13-colored-pencil.html

Please do this technique on your project. Load it in the gallery under Oldies challenge and link it here to this post. If you have any questions please ask them here.

I used colored pencils but you can use chalk if you want to. You may use any dark or kraft card stock also.

I can't wait to see what you do!

This will go to the end of the month and I will be giving an RAK to a random winner. Have fun! ;D

Stampwilly
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:25:10 PM by stampwilly »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Oldies Challenge -- August
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 12:52:54 PM »
Super challenge, Stampwilly. I love the look you produced on kraft paper as well as the black.  It will also be fun to choose stamps for this technique!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 08:11:47 PM »
Your examples look terrific, I need to find some solid stamps  :smile:

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 12:43:37 AM »
Beautiful sample card!  Thank you for the directions.

Daria

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 08:32:36 AM »
April, your card and samples are beautiful! I agree with the chalk. I tried this once and had chalk dust everywhere.

I will definetly be playing along, I love using colored pencils!

Thank you for hosting another great challenge :-)
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 10:02:16 AM »
I should be back to crafting soon, so I am looking forward to trying this out!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 02:54:56 PM »
Here is my try at the challenge, not sure if I did it correctly or not, I don't seem to have much white showing, I like the effect of it though, my hubby thought it gave a look of metallic.
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1877&message_id=aeeca93031e3bdebb9496b0b569947a6&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 03:43:05 PM »
Connie, your card is lovely! You did great with the technique. Thanks for doing my challenge!

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 04:04:33 PM »
So pretty, Connie.  I love your stamp choice and the coloring.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 04:23:36 PM »
I am ready to start.

We have had several challenges and/or swaps, that call for solid stamps.  Boy this is a hard concept for me.  Why, because, when I have purchased stamps at thrift stores, garage sames and at craft stores.  I have stayed away from those times of stamps.  No knowing how to use them has been the reason.  When I buy a bag at stamps at thrift stores or garage sales - I always be bag the solid stamps and donate them to thrift stores.

I still am misunderstanding the concept of solid stamps.  Your example shows a butterfly, that I would not consider a solid stamp. 

I see where parts of the stamps are solid, but the rest of the butterfly is not.    Need to change the way I am thinking of a solid stamp.  I don't think I will have to turn my craft room upside down in the future looking for a solid stamp, only part of it need to be solid.

Some concepts I am a little slow on understanding.  I hope that I am not the only one.  But boy, has my stamping world opened up.  Thanks for the challenge and for your example.  Now to get to work.  The perfect stamp may be lying on my crafting desk, since I have a small group of stamps)maybe medium to  large group) that have not been put away.

Hope to have something done soon.

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 04:29:30 PM »
Ann, your stamp can be a bold outline stamp and I think it would work okay. With a solid stamp it gives more of a shadow I think. Yes, my stamp was mostly solid at the top and not so much at the bottom. Give a bold outline stamp a try and let us see how it works! For a long while I did not have many solid stamps at all, but I kept seeing ways to use them and purposely started buying them. You might want to keep those solid stamps from yard sales now! LOL! ;D

Stampwilly
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 03:38:24 PM by stampwilly »

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 08:26:01 AM »
I searched google for bold outline stamps and surprise, surprise - great examples and I now know that I have some - A tree, a character dancing and now I know there are others. 

Thanks for your response. 

A new way to look at stamps, and I am going to start looking carefully for a few more.

Thanks, thanks.

Will get started on my card and focal point.

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 10:04:16 AM »
I will be posting my August Challenge card in a few minutes.  Wanted to share with you how I came up with my bold outline stamp.

I had been reading about and wanting to try making my own stamps, using my die cut machine (s).
I used a Sizzix die and the craft foam to cut out my bird.  The first time I used it, I stamped about the outside and realized that wasn't what I wanted, however, I have another fun bird to use on another card.

I used the negative part of the die cut and stamped with the white ink ( JoAnn Craft Essential Pigment Ink and then colored the bird and his branch with colored pencils.  I like it, but in the future want to try and do a stained glass window.

Thanks for this challenge.

I think you could use any die cuts and no sure if you can run the thin craft foam thru the Cricut - may have to search and try. 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1889&message_id=e4f30f4f6641ad7a333454ed8f757ec0&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:15:50 AM by Utah Ann »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 04:27:56 PM »
I needed a birthday card for next month so I decided to try this technique out.  I guess it turned out ok.  It makes me feel like I should take my white pen and go around the outsides to make it stand out more.  But I scanned it and put it in the gallery before I did that. 

Thank you for looking.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 08:40:24 PM »
I always liked this set of 3 bird stamps by Hero Arts but I have rarely used them.  This technique gave me the perfect reason to get them inked up!  I had fun coloring them with my colored pencils.  Thanks for the challenge!

Three birds
Cindi