Author Topic: Christmas All Year 2015 - September  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Christmas All Year 2015 - September
« on: August 31, 2015, 08:38:40 AM »
Can you believe I'm posting this early?!  Jan's gallery post gave me an idea, and I thought I'd better get it down before I forget!    ::)

So, if you haven't seen them, Jan's ATCs for August's Black/White/Kraft ATC swap are outstanding!  She mentioned looking for Christmas images that would work with the same technique.

September's prompt is to use an ATC on a Christmas card.  I'd love to see some card sketches with an ATC sized element (2.5 by 3.5 inches).  You can use Jan's technique using Black/White and Kraft or any style ATC.

As always, the prompt is optional.  Please post your Christmas cards to the Christmas All Year album in the gallery and link them here.

Stamp on!

Cindi
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:55:32 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Christmas All Year 2015 - September
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 08:44:17 AM »
Awesome, Cindi!  That sounds like a really fun prompt.  I bet there are card sketches out there that use ATC's.  I also would like to try that coloring technique. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 12:34:35 PM »
I found a sketch on "The best things in life are Pink." blog by Kristie, actually it's a Mojo Monday sketch, but she shows how she figures out the dimensions.    It might work well for an ATC as the center rectangle is ATC sized.

I just discovered this blog over the weekend and it turns out that LeighAnn posted about it 9 months ago for Kristie's use of 6x6 pads!  I missed it!
You can see LeighAnn's thread (using 6x6 pads) here.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:40:42 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 05:35:15 PM »
You're right.  I was surprised to see this posted early.  lol.  When I saw Jan's ATC's and realized that she had made them with very few supplies on hand, it made me think of Christmas too.  I wondered what I could do with just a few items.  Now you're talking about an ATC focal point and even provided a sketch!.  That's a cool challenge.  I don't know if I'll manage to do it, but I do know I'm going to be looking for an image that I think would work with both those idea. 

Thank you, Cindi.  Without you, I wouldn't have any new Christmas cards made at all this year.

Daria

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 05:43:40 PM »
Sounds great! I need to look at Jan's ATC now.

Stampwilly

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 07:58:08 AM »
I was going for an ATC  with this card and messed up when I went to trim the image! isnt this snowman so cute!?!
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1947

I've got plans to work on some more Christmas cards this weekend! I found a couple of really cute digi images that I'm thinking of getting. I have only dabbled a little in the digi world but I just love some of the images I found on this site, the site is fromtheheart. I love some of the images and the prices aren't bad either.
LeighAnn

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 04:41:44 PM »
LeighAnn, I love the way your snowman turned out! 

April, I've been wanting to make some kraft Christmas cards.  I thought about using that Stamendous Postcard for one, and I love the way yours looks.  What did you use for the white on your cards?  White Colored Pencil?  It looks wonderful.

Daria

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 07:50:17 PM »
Daria,
I think April used white colored pencil.  She mentioned it in some gallery posts, but not all.

LeighAnn,
Cute snowman!  I like your layout.  No problem with trimming to non-ATC size.  You have plenty more chances  :D

April, your cards are beautiful.  I need to take a look at my Christmas stamps.  The black/white/kraft color scheme makes beautiful cards with simple white coloring.  An image that would be very time consuming with lots of colors looks wonderful with less fuss.  Perfect for Christmas time!
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 09:18:54 PM »
Yes, Daria, I used white colored pencil. So easy and it looks great! I may have to make some more! LOL! :smile:

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 12:45:25 PM »
Great cards posted so far!   

April, I like the variety of images you used for the white pencil technique.  Hopefully I will have some luck with this technique soon. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 08:44:30 AM »
Finally, I finished and posted some Christmas cards.  I made a total of twelve cards.

Here are the links:

Stampendous Snow Postcard with Aspects of Design Fish Net

Denim Snow Postcard

Cranberry Snow Postcard

Paper-Pierced Christmas Card

I usually use VersaFine to stamp images, and I've never had  problem with the Stickles, but this time I used Adirondack Dye Inks, and the color bled into the Stickles.  My daughter, Heidi, actually loved one of those so I kept it, but I started experimenting to see what I could do about the problem.  Here's what I discovered:

*Comments About Glitter:
First I tried Stickles Frosted Lace.  There’s almost no sparkle to this one, but it’s great for snow.  Then I tried Stickles Stardust, and it worked well too, and it sparkled. 

When I returned to see the dried Stickles, I saw that the Adirondack Dye Ink had bled into the glitter glue.  It looked like I’d put on blue glitter.  I sprayed the rest of the pieces with a workable fixative, but the ink still bled into the Stickles. 

Next I tried using loose glitter with a glue pen.  That worked much better, almost no bleeding at all.  However, I used Judikins Prisma Glitter and it turned out pink.  Before when I used it, I thought there was too much blue.  This time, pink.  Maybe I should have shaken up the jar.  I tried toning it down with Stickles Frosted Lace which is more opaque, and that helped a lot, but not enough for me.  I dumped it.

Next, I tried Elizabeth Craft Designs Microfine Cool Diamond Glitter.  It looked good, but not very glittery.  Then I remembered that you have to burnish microfine glitter.  When it dried, I burnished it with my finger, and it was much better—a subtle glittery shine.

I tried DeNami Xtra-Fine glitter next.  There’s no color name on the jar, but it looks clear or white.  It worked very well.  For what I wanted, it was the best choice.

I hope that helps someone else out.
Daria

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 05:08:40 PM »
Here is my submission for Christmas All Year - September 2015.  I am now finally up to 18 cards completed, but sure have lots more to complete! 

Nora S

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1970#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 07:35:40 PM »
Great cards posted lately!

Daria, I have noticed that my store brand glitter glue also does have dye ink bleed into it when it is applied.  I think that it often has a nice effect.

That is interesting that you may need to shake the glitter to get an even distribution of colors. It is amazing how many colors there are in white glitters. Most I see seem to look purple to me.  I would like a shine but without the color.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 01:55:06 PM »
Daria and Nora, you are creating some beautiful stashes of Christmas cards!

I love the bright colors Nora got from her Peerless watercolors.  Now I'm itching to dig mine out!

Daria, thanks so much for sharing your experience with glitter and glitter glues!  I didn't notice any bleed in the photos.  So frustrating when all you wanted to do was glitter a roof! 

Sorry it took me a while to respond, I was out of town last weekend.  I thought I had this thread set up to alert me when someone posts to it, but I didn't see an email.  I can't believe how fast September is flying by.

ETA : alerts are in my email ... it's just my email is a little crowded! 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:59:14 PM by Iring »
Cindi