Author Topic: AIR17 Texture Stamping - WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5013 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
AIR17 Texture Stamping - WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: July 15, 2017, 07:59:49 PM »
For this challenge you will need an embossing folder, solid stamps and dye based inks ( chalks optional ). Please follow the technique on the video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=5RvPyV58WVQ

I made a chalk background on my first try and used Oxide inks, but I did not like the results. Here is a picture of this one        http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3413#top_display_media

I decided not to use chalk on the background and I used dye based ink on these samples.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3414#top_display_media

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3415#top_display_media

I would like for you to do this technique on a card. You can use chalk for the background like she did in the video or not. Nor do you have to use the vellum piece, but you can!

This challenge goes through July 23rd. I will be giving an RAK to a random winner. Yes, you may combine this with any AIR17 challenge if they allow it. Please use the words texture stamping in your heading in the gallery. Also link your cards and discussions about this technique here on this post. Most of all have fun! :smile:

April
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:20:06 AM by stampwilly »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: AIR17 Texture Stamping
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:25:36 PM »
This looks like a fun technique.  I haven't used my chalks in forever so I think I will try them first.  I wonder if the oxides are too thick and opaque for this technique?  Maybe regular dye ink over chalk will work better?  We will see!  Thanks for hosting.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 09:34:43 PM »
April, it looks like you stamped on the debossed side of the white paper.  Do you think she did that in the video?  I didn't hear it mentioned.  I like everything about the video card, the layout, the vellum tag ... I might just CASE it!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:16:30 PM »
Cool technique, I love your samples.  Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 10:25:34 AM »
Cool technique!

Cindi, I believe that PTI Impression Plates do leave a debossed design.  (They press the design into the paper).  When I went back to the challenge website and looked at the submitted cards, I noticed that some people did use the embossed side created by embossing folders.  They were fine, but the stamped images covered the embossed lines as well as the background so the stamped image was complete, not interrupted by the debossed design.  I hope that makes sense!

Please feel to correct me if I'm wrong about those plates.  I've never had one, but I've been drooling over the Linen Texture/Canvas one (temporarily out of stock forever)

Daria 

ETA:  On some geometric patterns, it would not matter since the embossed and debossed areas are pretty much equal--think stripes and chevrons.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:12:02 AM by djc »

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 10:36:19 AM »
Cool technique, April.  I may need to pull out my chalks for this since they have been neglected.
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 01:02:16 PM »
I did use the debossed side of the eb folder. Yes, the Oxide inks seem too opaque and a little goopy so the ink gets in the debossed areas more.

April :smile:

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 09:17:55 PM »
You had great examples, now I need to go watch the video!!

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 08:20:42 PM »
I hope the card I made counts for this challenge.  I did not use chalk on the background.  Here is my card.  Thank you Stampwilly for this most challenging challenge.

Thank you for looking.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 08:51:05 PM »
I have a question.  Is this technique to be a full background of a card or can it be any size?  Thanks!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 01:31:47 PM »
I got kind of a different result.  I think it was the busy embossing folder and the stamps I chose.  Probably, the stamps should have been larger.   You should see the mess I made creating this card :o.  I dug in containers I haven't been in, in a long time.  Chalks and associated clip and pompoms, vellum, old Sizzix steel rule die ...

Still, I think I got an ok result.  It certainly has lots of texture!  You can see it here.

It might help to see the stamp set I used.

Here is the background with chalk only.   And here it is chalked and stamped.

Thanks for the challenge April!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:55:13 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 08:44:21 PM »
Cindi and Sadie, your cards turned out beautifully! I love them! Thanks for doing my challenge!

Heidi, you can make the background any size.

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 07:32:02 PM »
Oh my goodness can I just say that this gave me a bit of trouble, I tried 3 other embossing folders before I finally settled on this one, didn't like how the stamping came out on them, then when I finally got the right embossing folder I stamped it all on the wrong side first time around and then just flipped it over and re did all the stamping and finished the card. 
Something cool happened with it though, I noticed after I would stamp that there was a textured look on my stamp from the embossed paper so I took a piece of scrap and made a whole other card with the second stamping.

Here is a link to my finished card for the challenge

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3448#top_display_media

And here is the second card I made by just stamping on this second piece of paper after I had stamped on the embossed piece.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3449#top_display_media

I will share a pic of stamping on the wrong side of them embossing folder

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 08:22:04 PM »
I love the texture you got when you stamped off Connie!  I think we did a similar technique in a past challenge,  was it stamp kissing?  We gave a solid stamp texture by touching an un-inked textured stamp to it.  Who knew it would work with an embossing folder?  You might have invented something!
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 09:11:38 AM »
Connie, your card and "scrap" card turned out great! Love the idea of off stamping. I will need to try that. The "wrong" side of your card looks good too!