Author Topic: Warm up Challenge/Chat  (Read 6116 times)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Warm up Challenge/Chat
« on: October 03, 2014, 01:57:18 PM »
Let's get all warmed up for Inktoberfest shall we?  Look around your crafting area and find something that you made for a project and didn't use.  Now for a warm up either describe what it is (or a picture if you like, right here in the thread) and explain why you didn't use it.  If you really want a warm up make a simple project using that product and post a picture here in the thread.  If you have more than one extra piece laying around feel free to tell us about all of them........LOL!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:04:36 PM by CarefreeSadie »
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Re: Warm up Challenge/Chat
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 07:41:07 PM »
I'll go first.  These things in the picture are laying on my craft area waiting for something.  The gold things are chipboard and washers that I dipped in melted gold heavy embossing powder.  I used part of what I did on a project and these are what is left over.  I am good with them laying around until I decide to use them.  The labels are dies cuts that I dipped in bees wax.  Every single time I die cut a #8 tag I get two of these labels, one oval and one rectangle.  I try to keep the paper smaller so I don't cut these out with the tag but it happens.  The flower is left over from dipping some flowers into bees wax.  I didn't know for sure how many I would use and I ended up with a couple extra, I have already used one of the extras but this poor flower is just sitting there in it's pretty shined wax veneer. 

So what little bits and pieces do you have laying around that you hope to use someday?

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 07:44:50 AM »
Fun warm up!

Here is a look at the images I have stamped on my desk that I decided not to use. 

The lily of the valley stamp is a new stamp that had been on my wish list for a very long time.  So I was just stamping with it to see the results. 

The halloween one was going to be for Stampwilly's embossing challenge, but I wasn't happy with my coloring and wanted to restamp on watercolor paper, but didn't get around to it.

The rest are images I was playing around with when I was trying to make beginner cards so I can stamp with my friends.

I have a bunch of other stamped images around, if they sit on my desk long enough and I still like them, they make their way into the envelope of things.  I sometimes pull something out and actually finish stuff. lol .
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 09:45:52 AM »
I like your things that are laying around better than mine.  That cat and moon one is great.  The others are all project worthy in my craft room.  Thank you for sharing.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 10:12:12 AM »
 :o  My desk is an embarassment!  I'm sure there are some stamped items buried in there somewhere ... but here is what I found near the top of the pile :

1.  The cat.  I made it with my fairly new Silhouette.  In fact I made two!  But, it is too large for a card so my plan is to make a giant rosette with Halloween paper.  Mount the cat on some cardstock.  Mount the cardstock on the rosette and mount the rosette on a twig wreath.  I made a little progess this week.  I took down some springy twig wreaths from my front doors and put up fall wreaths.  I pulled the spring stuff out of the wreath.  I sprayed the twigs with black spray paint and sprinkled on some orange glitter while the paint was wet.  I WILL get this done before Halloween, haha!

2.  The fall sentiment.  A friend and I made origami flowers from a 6x6 pad of paper by Authentique.  This piece is the inside cover of the paper pad and I thought it might make a nice embellishment on a card ... so it got tossed on the pile on my desk!

Fun warm up Sadie!
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 10:14:25 AM »
I like your kitty, what a great job with you new electronic cutter.  He/She will look wonderful on a wreath.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 10:19:44 AM »
Cindi I love your cat!  The wreath sounds cool, maybe you can post a photo when you are done?.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 10:26:55 AM »
Thanks Heidi and Sadie!  Yes!  I will definitely post a pic!
Cindi

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 12:26:07 PM »
Heidi - That cat and moon came out great. 

Cindi - your cat is really cool.  It should look great on a wreath.

Sadie - Those gold pieces are neat looking.  What a great idea, dipping stuff in melted embossing powder.

My craft desk is have covered in partial finished projects and left over bits and piece.  I think I have the leftovers of 3 or 4 KIAE kits on there somewhere. 

This is just a small fraction of stuff on my desk.
The ornament was a test to see how well that image would emboss.
I saw a cool project where someone used a bottle cap to create an embellishment, so I had my dad same me some bottle caps.  I may actually use them eventually.
One of the baggies had the shrinky dinks from Septembers kept kit.  The other is leftovers from paper piecing I did I don't know how many years ago.  I recently pulled them out of the closet to decide if I was going to use them or pitch them
The butterfly is an extra from a strip of altered tickets I made for fall cards.
The background paper and the flower were extras that I may use eventually. 

I'm really bad about accumulating extra bits and not using them or getting rid of them.

Sarah

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »
Craft Nerd do you still have one of the old red Sizzix's?  You can smash the pop tops with it and then glue a gem or a picture on the top, then put diamond glaze over it....it makes an interesting embellishment.  That is the only thing I use my old red Sizzix for anymore.

Your desk stuff looks pretty normal!  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 12:44:53 PM »
I do have an old red and white big shot.  I may try that.  The idea I saw left the bottle cap in tact and put the stuff in side it.  Does that make sense?  Here's a link: Bottle Cap Embellishment

I also figured I could just use a mallet/ hammer to flatten some out.  My dad went to a beer class and brought me back about 2 dozen of them. 
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 05:02:31 PM »
I used something from my photo today in a project that is posted. lol. 

Craft Nerd, I sometimes have issues using stuff from RAKs or even the leftovers from KIAE, which is certainly not in the spirit of those, but I guess I am weird like that.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Christinmay

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »
Hi!

A couple of months ago, when my new bub was just a few weeks old, I went to a "Craft Day" at a local church. As I didn't really have the time or energy to pack stuff to actually make cards, I just packed some colouring stuff.

I coloured some lovely images with Copics, and even put some glitter on some areas of the images. I was very happy with some of them, so will endevour to use them eventually.

Sorry, no pics - I haven't quite mastered that yet!
Christin

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 05:39:05 PM »
Craft Nerd, I sometimes have issues using stuff from RAKs or even the leftovers from KIAE, which is certainly not in the spirit of those, but I guess I am weird like that.

My problem is more of getting around to using it.  I just don't have enough hours in the day to do everything I want.  Especially when I'm working on cards for OWH deadlines.  So the stuff piles up. 
Sarah

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 12:16:36 PM »
Here are 3 things I found on my desk that I haven't used. The blue/green paper was something I made with my kid. It's too pretty to use until I remember again how we did it, LOL
The map I stamped in distress ink and it is too dark. I spritzed it with water hoping to lighten it up and it's still too dark.
The iris's were just a coloring experiment.

Warm up items