Author Topic: Summerfest 2019 - Embossing over watercolor  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Summerfest 2019 - Embossing over watercolor
« on: June 01, 2019, 09:32:29 AM »
I saw this technique and thought it was cool, I also liked how she didn't do a totally cover of the background with the black but went over it lightly.  You don't have to use those pens, I don't have them myself so we can use our distress or oxide inks or watercolors. Use at least one stamp, I am curious how hole background stamps would work with it too.  I don't think you would have to stick to black as the ink to cover it, but would probably need a dark ink.

When you post you can use SF19- EOW and please post back here and let me know. I will pick a name from those who play and send a little something. No combining with other challenges.
I think that's it, hope you have fun with this one.

http://stamptv.ning.com/video/embossing-over-watercolor?xg_source=msg_mes_network

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Summerfest 2019 - Embossing over watercolor
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 11:28:17 AM »
I recall seeing that video when it was first put out but never tried this exactly. I will have to take a look at which solid stamps I have that would work well with this.  I agree a background stamp might be fun too.

Thank you for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 12:43:55 PM »
I watched the video.  I want to know how many times she made it to come out like that?
I had a really hard time with getting the colors in the correct place to stamp over.  I made it four times and. I am showing the last one cause I give up.  I hate it!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/D964001E-5FC1-4AE4-836B-90BA5C5262B4.jpeg
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 04:35:49 PM »
I recall  having done similar embossed challenges and painted with watercolor...I too have not had much success  I hope some others provide some tips. ...Jan

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:40:45 PM »
Sheila, sorry that you had such a hard time, I have not tried it yet myself so now I am wondering how I will do with it, Like what you did end up with though, hope others have better luck, I know it is a bummer when you try something and it doesn't turn out like you were hoping

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 01:37:40 PM »
Here is my entry. I started inking over the fish using Faded Jeans Distress ink. That was too light where the colors around the fish showed up too much. So then I used Black Soot and that did better. I think you need to stick with black. Gina had some shadows around her stamps too, but with black ink they don't show as much. The shadows do give the card some depth though.

April

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4522#top_display_media

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 03:58:08 PM »
I have to buy some waterbase markers, but this seems pretty straight forward. I may also try using crayon & use black paint on it (after embossing the stamping over the crayons) I'm thinking the paint will cover un-embossed crayon better than ink would.
Daniel

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 08:07:38 PM »
Daniel do you have any watercolor paints, or any waterbased inks, you could use those, I hate for you to go out and buy markers.  I am curious how the paint will turn out.

April, I found it hard to cover the colors too and then I looked at hers and saw that some was showing through.

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 08:20:47 PM »
I had to try my challenge next since Sheila had such a hard time. I will say I am not as thrilled with mine either, firstly my watercolor markers didn't work the same as the ones used in the video. I laid out how I wanted everything to look, then I used the markers in those spots, I think I went too solid with my colors.  I had to use a lot of black around the images so that I couldn't see the base colors as well, don't know if I would do this again.  Guess you don't know unless you try it, right.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4526#top_display_media

Sharing how I laid out what I wanted to do first, think that really helped I would remove the stamps as I colored.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 08:52:17 PM »
I happened upon a video by Jennifer McGuire today that is a very similar technique, but she actually stamps in color first, then stamps over with Versamark and clear emboss.  Then add the black.  I was thinking I might try it both ways and see how it goes. It is funny because she remarks in the video how close it is to Gina K’s video.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 10:33:18 PM »
No problem Connie. Markers aren't expensive (Crayola) & got a spray bottle for a buck. Plus got a bag of foam sponges to do the ink. I made the 'watercolor' part & it ran nicely. Weighed it down to dry overnight so its flat. Good so far
Daniel

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 08:03:59 AM »
I finished my entry. The markers, per se, weren't a big problem, They blended well enough when I misted them.

My 'problems' were primarily that my resist ink was so-so and my EP was large grain, but the only clear one I have.

That said, I'm not unhappy with the results. The images show up and I now know how to do this technique. Fun challenge, Connie!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4527#top_display_image (marker work after misting)

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?=album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4528_display_image  (finished)
Daniel

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 09:24:21 AM »
Heidi, I don't know if I have seen Jennifer's video, will be interesting to see which you like more if you have time to try both.

Daniel your card turned out very cool and so glad you were able to find some cheaper priced markers to give this a try, I think they turned out better than what I used, thanks for sharing your project!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 10:08:40 AM »
Heidi, I don't know if I have seen Jennifer's video, will be interesting to see which you like more if you have time to try both.

Connie, I looked in my YouTube history.  This is Jennifer’s technique.  I am thinking I can do a hybrid of the two techniques too.

https://youtu.be/r-A_XRcRo40

I will see what I can do. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 11:49:00 AM »
Oh wow that does look easier doesn't it, then you wouldn't have to worry about the extra colors behind the image, but one thing I did like about Gina's is the not totally black background, thanks for sharing the link