Author Topic: Design Challenge Series - Rule of Space (2/8 - 3/7)  (Read 4496 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Design Challenge Series - Rule of Space (2/8 - 3/7)
« on: February 08, 2016, 12:25:15 PM »
This month, we are going to borrow an idea from photography design, which we can also use with our stamping projects.  The rule of space is really interesting and can help make your project dynamic!

Here is a blog that gives you an idea of what this is: 
http://compositionstudy.com/rule-of-space/

I do think that this idea gives both a visually pleasant look and can really help give an implication of movement or action, even if the action is just "looking."  So it is good to think about it as you stamp an image of a person, critter, soccer ball or mode of transportation on your project.

To help you understand what I am talking about more, I am going to link to a card I posted on my blog last week.

When looking at the card, you can probably see that I really thought about the Rule of Thirds that we studied earlier in this series. I also thought about grounding as I made my sunny circle, pieces of patterned paper at the bottom and even the embellishments.

But why did I pick that particular point in the Rule of Thirds for the image I used?

http://mylittlestampingblog.blogspot.com/2016/02/everythings-better-with-you-card.html

The reason that I did is because that (riderless) bicycle is going somewhere --  and placing it in the upper right, and being a left facing bicycle image, that space gives it someplace to go. 

I think it will always look better in the upper right with some space to go, but what if I had decided to instead put it in the upper left??

Then, I think the placement would have implied that the bicycle is on it's way out of the frame more quickly.  I hope this makes sense.

I think this would be a good "Rule" to also combine with some generation stamping, or another way of implying movement, if you want...

If it is a critter or person who is meant to be still, where their head and eyes are facing makes a difference. You want there to be space for them to look.  To show an example of this I am going to link to a pretty art journal that I saw Sandy Allnock make.

http://sandyallnock.com/watercolor-techniques-for-art-journalling/

In the art journal, she has the area behind the lady filled in with a darker blue color.  In front where the lady's eyes are actively looking, she has some stenciling in the space, but no darker blue color.  There she creates some space for the lady to look.

For this challenge, I want you to use the Rule of Space in a stamping project.  Please upload to the Artsy Inkers gallery (There is a Design Challenges folder when you upload.). Then place a link here to your project.   

As we go along, feel free to ask any questions here, or discuss the topic!

I hope you will have fun with this!  You have a full month to work on this, and I hope you will choose to share your projects here!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:02:38 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Design Challenge Series - Rule of Space (2/8 - 3/7)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 02:09:47 PM »
Thanks for the challenge!  I'm going to need some time.  I really like your sample card!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 08:17:09 AM »
Thanks Cindi!  I think it is best to have a month for these challenges to have some time to think on it. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 04:56:23 PM »
I reviewed the blog and watch the interpretations of the the photos...it was most helpful and not too lengthy.  Great resources!   Heidi, I am impressed that you jumped into a different branch of art and yet provided us the suggestion of using generation stamping to give the feeling of motion. How great that's a technique we are familiar with and  it can help us use the rule of space.  Kuddos for the connection!  I look forward to playing.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:15:56 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 07:29:59 AM »
Thank you Jan!  I am glad you are playing along too!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 03:38:21 PM »
Here is my entry. I have been wanting to make my card for awhile now and had the opportunity today. I kind of followed your bicycle card, Heidi. I am also in need of male cards and this one is for a male birthday.

April :smile:

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2482#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 03:56:24 PM »
Great entry! I hope everyone will go over the the gallery to see it!

Thanks so much for participating.  :)
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 10:34:46 AM »
Fun challenge Heidi.

I went for 'motion' via the body positions & eye direction of the frogs.  The ball is one place they look, but they're also looking at other frogs.

No idea what the porpoise is looking at...  ::)

froggie ballet
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 10:42:10 AM by Looser »
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 11:22:52 AM »
Hey Daniel  #> thanks for playing!

The link didn't work for me, let's try this one:
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2489#top_display_media

I really like how you used the position of the frog's arms to show their movement.  I think for the Rule of Space, your top frog works the best because of the position of that ball. That seems really effective to me! you can see just how it was pushed up and may come back down to the frog looking at it.

Cool!

~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 01:21:07 AM »
Here is a link to my card for the Rule of Space.  I created a design with lots movement including a flying bird, a hook, line and bait, a flying banner, a sentiment with a flowing sentiment and a background.  I created negative space for the bird to float through the sky.

Thanks Heidi, for the fun challenge!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 10:33:57 AM »
Really great entry Jan!   You really thought of many different ways to achieve this rule.  I like the swirly background and the great bird.  Thanks for playing!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 02:48:47 PM »
Did another piece for your challenge Heidi. 

Not a good photo but I think you'll be able to see what I did.

winter motion
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 03:10:40 PM »
Daniel, that is a good idea about cropping the page that I totally had never thought of!  Thanks for sharing that!

Again, I had trouble with your link, so I am going to add another here.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2494#top_display_media

I am so glad you are having fun with this challenge!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 02:07:44 PM »
I saw Jan's card in the gallery, and that sent me searching for the Design Challenges.  I've been going through all three of them all morning long.  I didn't stop to leave comments anywhere, but I have found the comments and cards very interesting and helpful.  I knew about the Rule of Thirds, but I was thinking about making myself a grid even before I saw the suggestion in the video Jan linked.  I want to use it to check out cards I've already made. 

Grounding is something I forget to do.  I've always just thought of it as adding some dirt or grass below the figure.  The article that was originally linked isn't available.  I spent a long time looking for it to no avail.  I will go back and check out the card makers that were mentioned on the thread, and I liked the linked article about more conventional grounding (grass, etc.).

The Rule of Space is new to me.  I read the article and watched the video that was linked--very interesting.  I found another article that has some very good photos and explanations that illustrate the concept.  (The missing photos can be found with a search on Pinterest.)  So if you need more examples, check this out:  Using the Rule of Space in Your Composition.

Thank you, Heidi, for the challenges.  My participation is going to have to be that of an observer, but I enjoy even that.

Daria
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 02:38:18 PM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 12:19:04 PM »
Daria, I am glad you are enjoying reading along.  Thanks for letting me know that link is not working.  That is too bad, it looks like the company redirected everything from the blog to their current ventures instead. I was trying to find a cached version of the blog but didn't find one.  It was a very informative blog, it is to bad they just didn't leave it up for reference! 

And I agree, the link for Rule of Space you provided is also interesting! 
~~Heidi~~