Author Topic: Design Challenge Series for March (Repetition) 3/5 - 3/31  (Read 2718 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Design Challenge Series for March (Repetition) 3/5 - 3/31
« on: March 05, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »
Our new design focus this month will be REPETITION.

There can be many types of repetition. 
You can repeat a small number of colors when you are coloring. 
You can repeat your stamped image. (Or use several images of the same shape, such as several hearts.)
You can use a scallop edge frame stamp and a scallop edge on your edge punch.
You can repeat your embellishments.

Here is an article from Operation Write Home.
http://operationwritehome.org/let-me-repeat-using-repetition-in-design/

Here is one example. I repeated both my stamp (a small ones are good ones to repeat!) and my colors, I used limited number of markers.
http://mylittlestampingblog.blogspot.com/2016/02/snow-much-fun.html

And a second example:  I used both a small and large dragonfly stamp and I also used a limited color palette.
http://mylittlestampingblog.blogspot.com/2016/02/follow-your-dreams.html

Let's continue the discussion here in the forum.  Do you have any ideas for how to use repetition in your card?

Please try to use this design principle this month and post your card in the gallery and link it here so we can all find it to give praise! Don't forget that Sadie created a folder for these challenges, so be sure to check that one from the pull-down menu when uploading your work.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 12:13:50 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Design Challenge Series (Repetition) 3/5 - 3/31
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 09:52:44 AM »
One thought I had when thinking about repetition in color is that maybe this is why our patterned paper packs look good when layered on a card even when the patterns are wildly different.  Limiting the color scheme just seems to work!
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Design Challenge Series (Repetition) 3/5 - 3/31
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 09:56:55 AM »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: *NEW*Design Challenge Series for March (Repetition) 3/5 - 3/31
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 02:53:54 PM »
Thanks Heidi for this addition to the design series!  I agree with your  comments about pattern paper and think pattern stencils are often used in the same manner.  Also repetition of words can work in a similar manner.

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 12:19:36 PM »
I love your dragonfly background that is so cool, of course I collect snowmen so I think that is pretty cute too. I do love the repetitive stamping for a background :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 10:18:40 PM »
Thanks Heidi this was a fun challenge!  I don't think I generally think about repeating an image yet I think I often do.  On my card I used several images yet made sure that 1 remained the dominant focal image through the use of color.

Here is a link to my card in the gallery. (link icon is not working)
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2530#top_display_media
...Jan

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 07:42:51 AM »
Way to go, Jan! I love the repeated flowers and colors!  Way to get us started for this month's design challenge!
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 11:25:58 AM »
I watched a video where Dyan Reavely was showcasing her paints in which she made the statement that when doing a page or tag or whatever pick 2 or 3 colors and use those colors keeping in the mind the colorwheel so that you use complimentary colors.  Use those colors in your background and then again in the stamping or stencil work.  As long as you keep those same colors your page will look like it belongs and not like you just threw paint down on a page.  I have kept that in mind since.  I would assume she was using the rule of repetition in color to produce cohesive looking pages.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »
Another fun design challenge.  TY Heidi.

I started  by repeating a stamped motif that I made by masking with 2 stamps. www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=2532
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 03:17:44 PM »
What a great challenge.  I was stumped until I saw the snowman card.  It gives me the idea to do the Warhol technique from the Technique Junkie Newsletter.  This will be my second challenge I've played in.  I'm one of those silent stalkers who is trying hard to get involved in this wonderful community. #>
Beth

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 03:59:29 PM »
Wow, lots of activity on this thread today, that is great!  :smitten:

Daniel and April, thanks for playing!  You both showed great ways to do repetition!  Left praise in the gallery.

Sadie, I wasn't originally thinking about art journals, but your ideas about this kindof make it a bit less daunting!  And much more likely to turn out artistic instead of just "thrown down" like you say.  Thanks for sharing!

Beth, I am glad you are joining in!  This is a good crew of people here, all very encouraging!  It will be a lot of fun to see what you come up with!

~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 07:15:02 PM »
Thanks Sadie for sharing Dyan's suggested method of selecting colors.  I get into bad ruts of using a range of colors for far too long.  I know complimentary colors bring together the highest contrast of colors which creates lots of visual pop and interest. Now if I only remember to not mix the 2 complimentary colors (no I don't want to make various shades of mud) I might enjoy some new combinations. Thanks again! 8)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:30:06 AM by Far North »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 10:07:56 AM »
I am sorry, I used the word "complimentary" in a way that isn't consistent with the normal color theory.  I used it to mean they go together not that they are across from each other on the color wheel.  I hope I didn't confuse you too much.  Dyan sorts her spray ink into warm and cool colors and then chooses 2 or three colors from those categories.  Here is a video where she explains this theory of Dyan's spray ink by Dyan.......
Dyan's Spray Ink Theory.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7ftULedTHY

You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 11:48:06 AM »
I did another piece for the challenge & it also has an element of movement from the previous challenge.

Sadie. Thanks for your post.  I agree that it can be confusing when discussing many topics. But we all do a good job of trying to be as 'clear' as we can be.

Blowing Bubbles
Daniel