Stamping/Crafting Fests! > WInterfest 2019

WF2019: Stenciling with SC Winner Announced!

(1/6) > >>

Far North:
Oh are we gonna have some kind of fun with this challenge during Winterfest 2019!  Oh my I am feeling excited and can not wait to see what you create!

If your weather is similiar to ours in Northeast Ohio you know today is a brief reprieve from the nasty, windy, wet, rainy, as well as very heavy snow and ice of the past 10 days. Definitely time to grocery shop for the week because the arctic weather is expected to be sweeping through for the next week.  Remember some food to throw in the crock pot as well as munchies. I have a short list of items for my challenge you may want to add to your shopping list including: shaving cream (that's cream Not Gel), a good portion of a roll of paper towels (a brand which is perforated into narrow sheets will work great, but if you only have larger sheets that okay too) and hopefully you can find approx 3-4, 7 inch small luncheon paper plates or substitute something you don't mind getting ink) like a wooden skewer or something you can whittle down to a point (maybe a old thin paintbrush?)   
And if you have some time you might get a jumpstart by cutting some of your regular white cardstock into A2 size pieces (approx 8 pieces).

If all goes well I will be posting my challenge details here early tomorrow morning...See you then #>

howdyheidi:
I think I bought some plain shaving cream for crafting a few months ago, but never got around to using it.  So I will need to look in the linen closet to make sure it is still there.  Thanks for the heads up!

Far North:
[/b]Title--WF2019: Stenciling with SC[/b]
This technique was created by Lydia Fiedler (Understanding Blue)               
Here is a link to her video for this technique:  http://bit.ly/2dkTWSp

This is a wonderful colorful technique.  I have watched many techniques for making marbled paper with  shaving cream techniques but until this video I had not seen the effect created with stencils.   I was surprised how easy it is to successfully creative results with this technique.  The process is somewhat messy so I have included (my tips in parentheses)  to help keep the mess to a minimum.    I can’t wait to see your results!  These backgrounds are pretty quick to make so it is a good technique to make several  backgrounds while you have all yours supplies in place.

Notes from You Tube video: 
Supplies:  craft sheet, paper plate, stencils, foam shaving cream (not gel), gift card (heavy packaging plastic may substituted)  I found the   faux paper credit cards may add stray ink markings to your background.) Select a few combos of water based re-inkers (approx. 3 colors for each stencil print), skewer, a small stack of basic  A2 white heavy cardstock, paper plates ( I found I could create 3-4 stencil designs with 1 marbleized small paper plate of inks on shaving cream.  Initially,  I found a large plate held too much for me to use before I became anxious to try a different color combo.

I recommend a pan of water for soaking the used stencils until finished making backgrounds when they can be cleaned. And a spray bottle of water to remove stray ink or shaving cream that may appear. And to wipe your work surface clean after each background is created. I kept a trash can with a liner close by as a reminder to immediately remove all excess inky shaving cream.

Basic Instructions:
1. Use a craft mat to protect work surface. Shake shaving cream and squirt a rather thin layer on paper plate.  Smooth foam surface with gift card.  Wipe gift card clean.

2.  Add drops of reinker onto foam.  Gently drag skewer through ink drops to achieve a marbling effect.  Be careful not to over stir colors to help avoid creating muddy colors.

3.  Place a piece of cardstock on craft mat and add stencil on top.  Add small piece of removable tape to top edge of stencil to create hinge.  Gently lift the inked foam preserving the ink pattern onto the gift card. Gently swipe the colored foam across your stencil. The fewer times you apply the shaving cream, the more of the pattern will be transferred. The more swiping passes you make, the more you will transfer just color, not pattern.  Wipe your card and pick up more patterned cream as needed to keep your colors from becoming mud-like. Continue until all the open areas of the stencil are  inked with shaving cream mixture.

4. When inking is completely dry use a paper towel to remove the final layer of foam and burnish the ink.  (Note I found some areas on my prints took over ½ hour to dry so plan a space to let them dry.

For this challenge: make some backgrounds and then use one background to make a birthday or valentine.   Please post any  questions/discussions on this thread.  Post photos of you backgrounds as well as your cards in the gallery with the label WF2019: Stenciling with with SC.  And finally add a link here along with your comments about this technique. I hope you enjoy this challenge and create some artsy results.  Please do not combine with other WF 2019  challenges.  A random player will be selected for this challenge.  This challenge will close on Sunday 2/3/2019 at 11:59 pm
Happy creative moments!...Jan

Samples of my results will be posted this morning.

howdyheidi:
I’ve never actually done the shaving cream background technique.  I have meant to, but didn’t get around to it.  This is a wonderful variation on it and so pretty to have the stenciled areas!  I have a couple unused stencils so it will be good to get them out.

Your samples are lovely!  Thanks for offering the challenge.

Iring:
Who knew how handy credit cards would be?!  I'm anxious to try this ... and like your last challenge, I'm sure I will make lots of backgrounds.  I'd better clear some real estate for mess making and drying! 
Adding shaving cream to my grocery list.
Thanks for the challenge!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version