Stamping/Crafting Fests! > Inktoberfest 2015-October 17-25th, 2015

INK15--Bisque Pottery Technique--Winner Announced

(1/14) > >>

djc:
Welcome to Inktoberfest 2015.  I have a technique challenge for you—the Bisque Technique.  It has been around for a while, but I’ve never used it even though I love the way it looks.  It is very similar to the Letterpress Technique that Cindi featured in her All Year Christmas Challenge in March.  However, instead of inking up the side of the embossing folder that has the raised design, you ink up the side that has the recessed design.  Instead of coloring the debossed image, you will have colored the background. 

Diana Gibbs has a Video Tutorial to help you out with this simple technique.  Be sure to read the comments posted to this thread.  Participants have posted great advice for achieving success with this technique.

1.  Choose white or cream cardstock and a neutral or soft color of ink so that your result will resemble bisque china. (Some people had better results with inexpensive paper that was more absorbent than the Neenah Classic Crest that I used, for example, Georgia Pacific.)

2.  Use a brayer to apply water-based ink onto the inside of the embossing folder on the side that has the recessed images.  That is normally the side where the company’s logo is printed.  (Per the posts that follow, other inks work better; try pigment ink including chalk inks; try Memento.)

3.  Lay the cardstock onto the uninked side of the embossing folder so you can move it around without disturbing the inked side.

4.  Close the folder and put it through the Cuttlebug or whatever machine you use.  (I had better results when I put it through the machine very slowly and back again very slowly.)

That’s it. 

Tip:  When I tried this, I wasn’t happy with my results.  The ink was splotchy or spotty.  I tried various inks.  I tried different ways of applying the ink to the folder.  Nothing helped.  Yesterday, I gave it one last try.  I applied the ink with a brayer.  I rolled the folder through the Cuttlebug very slowly so that the ink would have a chance to cover the cardstock; then I rolled it very slowly back again.  It worked.  I had a very smooth coverage of ink.

Sample Card

•  This challenge will run from Saturday, October 17 through Sunday, October 25.
•   Please post your card in the gallery set aside for Inktoberfest, 2015, and use INK15 Bisque for your keyword and in your title.
•  You may combine this challenge with others if the other hosts/hostesses allows combining.
•  Don’t forget to come back here to leave comments and link to your card.
•  I’ll draw a name from my trusty old hat to determine who will receive a RAK at the end of the challenge.   

I hope you enjoy this challenge.
Daria

ETA:  We're headed out to celebrate my daughter's birthday.  I'll check back here when we return.

Far North:
I had seen some really pretty cards completed with the technique but had trouble with inking as you described.  Thanks so much for your continuous testing!  Hope I have time to give it a try!

Conniecrafter:
I have done this technique quite a few times but always had blotchy results but I never ran it through slowly, I will have to give that a try, that may be my problem, I love the look this gives and your example is just Gorgeous!

howdyheidi:
This is so beautiful!  What a lovely example!

I, too, have always had trouble with any kind of embossing folder-inking techniques. I will try what you described.  I have a very pretty color of pigment ink that is a linen color and I would like to try that one. 

Thanks so much for hosting!

Craft Nerd:
Cool technique.  I will definitely have to give it a try.  I'll add you to the cheat sheet.  And just to be sure I get it right, we can only combo with one other challenge?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version