Author Topic: Winter Holiday Cards in July, 2018  (Read 5192 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Winter Holiday Cards in July, 2018
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2018, 11:20:58 AM »
Daria, I know yu and your friend had fun making backgrounds. Please show them in the gallery!

yes, I have my embossing folders in categories -- here are some.

animals
birthday
circles and dots
Fall
Christmas
flowers
swirls
frames
words
music
birds
insects
elements -- these are folders like gears, brick wall, rope backgrounds, etc.

These categories have really helped me to find things quickly!

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2018, 05:30:52 PM »
April, thank you for your categories for embossing folders.  That's just what I need to get me started!

I wish I took photos of my friend's backgrounds.  She had such a blast!  She must have made five or six backgrounds just with the leaf stencil--all different, but mostly fall colors.  Then she used the bamboo stencil, and I had to write down the colors of ink she used because they were just perfect.  She ended up with a bunch of backgrounds.  I'm pretty sure she will soon be the owner of Distress Oxide inks.  I have 24 now, and I love their soft, matte finish.  I have a zillion backgrounds no one has seen yet because they aren't cards yet.  I would fill up the gallery if I started posting them.  lol.

Cheryl has mostly Stampin' Up supplies, but she does have a few regular Distress Ink pads.  I used her Dusty Concord to go along with my Distress Oxide Seedless Preserves and Wilted Violet.  The regular ink blended right in with the oxides.  It was as if it took on the properties of the oxide inks--no harsh lines, no streaks, just perfect. 

One other thing I did just so I could show Cheryl was to use the ink that was on the stencil to make a second background by misting it with water.  They turned out beautifully, and I didn't even have watercolor paper with me so I used Neenah Classic Crest.  I liked one of those better than the original.

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2018, 05:33:44 PM »
Heidi, I love your snowman cards!  Your snowmen are so darn cute!  I love the paste embossing in the background.  I think I'm going to have to get some of that metallic texture paste; it's beautiful.  Hmmm.  I think I have some Dreamweaver Metallic Embossing Paste.  I don't remember it looking like that though.  I'll have to give it a try. 
Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2018, 05:57:04 PM »
Thanks, Daria. I purchased the Heidi Swapp paste at Tuesday Morning. They are in a tube like toothpaste so you can push out just a little to use, but can’t really put it back in!   I think it is still a good idea since the paste inside the tube, I hope, will stay fresher!  I got white (which I used in my cards), silver, gold and an aqua color.  They were either 1.99 or 2.49! I thought that was a fabulous price!

I have recently been doing a lot of stenciling with the Distress Oxide inks too!  I have some backgrounds that I was wondering if I could figure out how to use as a Christmas card.  They are with Blueprint sketch and Wilted violet. 

I hope you will make some cards with your backgrounds, Daria, so we can see the lovely color combinations you are talking about. I haven’t mixed regular distress with distress oxide too much.

I wonder how many inkpads I have.  I just ordered 3 new ones.  Squeezed lemonade, shaded lilac and tattered rose. I might order one or two from the new release too, but I don’t order whole releases anymore. (My distress ink drawer is almost totally full!!)

~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2018, 02:18:12 PM »
I also am looking at the last 24 colors to see what I think I really "need".  After seeing how well the regular Dusty Concord blended with the oxide inks, I know I really don't need to get all the colors.  I already have a ton of ink pads.  I always wanted to have all the colors in a line--big mistake.  However, I do use pretty much all my Distress Inks. 

I've never seen embossing paste in a tube!  I wouldn't worry about the longevity of paste in jars.  I've had my Dreamweaver's embossing pastes for years, and they're just fine.  Well, they were the last time I looked.  Also, if I mixed colors, I saved it in tiny little jars so maybe that's something you could do with the excess paste from the tubes. 

Daria 

ETA:  I just checked out the Heidi Swapp embossing pastes.  You did get a fantastic deal!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 02:21:36 PM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2018, 11:31:02 AM »
Three more cards that I made at a paper crafting group.  They are simple.  I had planned to heat emboss a layer of snow on the trees, but I didn’t know my way around the room to find an outlet for my heat gun and I also forgot my craft mat, etc.  So I do hope to try that sometime too.  Maybe even on plain green cardstock. 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4111#top_display_media

I think that is 7 for the month!  That is way more than any other month! Yay!

Daria, I looked up the Heidi Swapp paste and saw there is black metallic that I would like too!   
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2018, 06:35:35 PM »
Heidi, I love your cards!  That's a good card design for featuring patterned papers without overwhelming the images or the eye of the beholder.  lol. 

Black metallic embossing paste.  Oh, my.  You are really making me want to drag out what I have.  I'm pretty sure I only have gold, silver, and copper metallic embossing paste and a pearlescent one in addition to the regular pastes--white, black, glossy, matte, translucent, and crackle.  OK.  I just checked.  I was surprised to see I have a couple of colors too.

Today, the stamp pockets I'm using for die storage arrived.  I will be so happy to have that task behind me.  I've been working on that instead of making masculine birthday cards I need like now and the Christmas cards I wanted to make a ton of this month.  Sigh.

Daria

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »
I only managed on Christmas card this month, at this rate I am going to be in poor shape by the end of the year.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4112#top_display_media

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2018, 04:32:33 PM »
Connie, I just saw your card in the gallery, and I love it.  It's so beautiful!  Yes, I know it's cute too, but the rich, warm colors and beautiful coloring were the first things that caught my attention.  Wonderful card!

I'm glad you got to play.  I started out great, and then I got distracted by the organization of embossing folder and dies, appointments, company, and some family things too.  I am glad I at least got my first Christmas cards of the year made.  It's a start.

Does anyone else want to play?  The challenge isn't over yet.  We still have three more days in July.  I'm going to visit my son for his birthday tomorrow.  Yes, I finally finished his card this morning!  When I get home, I'll check in and see if anyone else had time to make a Christmas card.

Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2018, 07:33:50 PM »
I may still get an additional card in, but not sure. I became ill and today was worse instead of better.  I usually see Yankee playing along. I wonder if she is too busy with her grandchildren to play along this July. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2018, 07:18:39 AM »
Heidi, I hope you feel better soon.  Very soon.

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2018, 11:20:35 AM »
Today's the final day of the Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge. 

I'll keep checking in to see if anyone makes another card or, maybe, a first card. 

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2018, 08:12:00 AM »
I'm ready to make my list of participants in this challenge and count the cards they submitted.  Be right back.

Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2018, 09:43:53 AM »
I'm ready to make my list of participants in this challenge and count the cards they submitted.  Be right back.

Daria

Yay!
~~Heidi~~