Author Topic: INF14 Mixed Media Challenge-Winner Announced on page 4  (Read 14852 times)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
INF14 Mixed Media Challenge-Winner Announced on page 4
« on: September 29, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »
Our keyword for the gallery for this challenge is MM1INF14, please read the keyword post that is a sticky in this forum.   Our Mixed Media Gallery is here! Thank you!

Welcome to my Mixed Media Challenge.

Mixed Media is often described as using 2 or more mediums on a project.  Those mediums can be anything, ink, paint, embossing (dry or heat), gels, gesso, modeling paste, metallic, papers, and different embellishments.  Welcome to Mixed Media.

For this challenge you will need some sort of white glue, at least 3 colors of acrylic paint and some chipboard (like the back of a tablet or a cereal box).  We are going to make abstract tiles, circles, or anything else you want to attach to a project.  I used Elmer’s white school glue but the YouTube video I watched showing how to do this used Aileen’s white tacky glue.  So I am thinking any white runny type of glue would work.  You will also need a nonstick craft mat or some wax paper to work on.  Craft sticks that look like popsicles sticks work well for the base coat.  You will also need toothpicks or a tweezers with a pointed end.

Cut the chipboard into squares or circles or whatever shape you want to work with in your final project.  I used a 3 x 3 square for the first tile I made.  The second group I cut circles and did a tag, a washer, and a couple of frames.

I used a white background (yes you need to add white paint for the white to actually be white when you are done) and two colors of pink.  I used Liquitex Basics but I would imagine that any acrylic paint would work.  You mix a larger amount for the background color and smaller amounts for the accent colors.  I used a stamp block the first time which was not a good idea since now my stamp block is discolored from the glue.  The second time I used a paint pallet with a larger part for the background and smaller amounts for the accents.  The second group I used white for the background and silver and blue for the swirls.  You need to cut the chipboard to whatever final shape you want before applying the glue and paint because the chipboard with the glue and paint will not cut with a punch when it is dry.

You take the background color and slather it on your chipboard going out to the edges.  A craft mat or a piece of waxed paper will work well to lay it on.  After you get a goodly amount of base on lay it down and take a toothpick or tweezers and drizzle the colors onto the background.  After you have both colors drizzled onto the background take a clean toothpick or tweezers end and swirl through the colors making a pretty combined pattern.  When it looks good to you put it aside to dry.  It will take a good 24 hours to dry.  I found that the chipboard dried much faster than the entire cardstock tag I used.

When your pieces are dry make a finished project and post it using MM1INF14 as the keyword.  You do not need stamping on your finished project but certainly can make a project that includes stamping.

I made a blog post with pictures I took along the way so if you would like to see those instructions with the pictures go HERE.

Thank you for reading and thank you in advance to those who try this out.  I tried really hard to find something that almost anyone would have already to use in a mixed media challenge and this seemed the most appropriate. 

The  finished projects are in the Inktoberfest Gallery using the keyword  MM1INF14

Pink Card

Blue Card

Blue Tag

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:14:43 PM by CarefreeSadie »
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: INF14 Mixed Media Challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 08:29:26 AM »
This sounds fun.  I have not seen this technique at all before. I am looking forward to learning it and getting better at mixed media. Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 09:02:47 AM »
Ditto Heidi!  This does look like fun!  I'd better do this challenge early as I'm a little worried about drying time in FL humidity.  Thanks so much for your wonderful samples!
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »
Your sample cards are beautiful.  Thank you for the illustrated tutorial.

Daria

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »
What a cool technique and your samples are fabulous.  And like Cindi, I will probably do this challenge first because it takes forever for things to dry down here.

Question - can we combo?
Sarah

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 11:20:18 AM »
Sure you can combo this with any other challenge which also lets you combo......LOL

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »
So I made a bunch of pieces for this challenge and they are drying.  I did run into a few problems.  Mostly because I decided to get creative.  But as a result, I've got some tips:

First, I decided I wanted to do something other than a square or circle.  So I pulled out my Spellbinder poinsettia and snowflake dies.  And I've got a pack of chipboard I bought at Michael's.  Well, that chipboard is a bit thick for a Spellbinder die.  So I had to pull out an Exacto knife for the poinsettias.  For the snowflakes, I pulled out a macaroni box from my recycling bin.  That worked much better.

Next, I figured I could put the pieces on a paper plate that way I could easily pick the whole thing up and move it off somewhere to dry.  My paper plates have a light wax coating.  There was some sticking.  But that might have something to do with my next issue.

I was a messy girl when making these and the pieces did not want to stay put.  I should have used some removable adhesive.  Because I got glue all over the place, including under most of the pieces.  Of the 12 pieces I did, only 2 did not need to turned over so the glue on the bottom could dry.  I'm also going to have to trim around all the pieces because of the excess glue around the pieces.  On one of the leaves (top left in the picture), you can't even see the shape.

Final tip, skinny shapes are not the best for this technique.  The colors kinda just blended together on the snowflakes because there just wasn't enough room to get the cool swirling effect.

Sarah

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 05:02:42 PM »
I really like your poinsettias, they are great as far as color.  If you can keep them from sticking as they dry you should be able to sort of peel the extra around the edges off.  Using the leaves and poinsettias was a really good idea, and the way they look now they should really look great on a project.

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »
Thanks Sadie. 

I managed to peel all of the piece off the plate.  The top sides are dry. So I've flipped them so the bottoms can dry.
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 06:11:56 PM »
Sadie this is a wonderful challenge!  Your examples are fantastic!!

One of things I find most frustrating with mixed media is learning what products can do and if the products of different companies really do similar things or are they different.  Like Tim Holtz' acrylic paint is runny almost like re-inker..so it might not work for this technique but it is capable of many water friendly techniques similar to distress ink but it has some acrylic qualities too. 

Last month I post 2 photos in the gallery of my work making acrylic skins.  Here is my tag http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pid=500&uid=526#top_display_media
and the Christmas snowflake card 
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pid=499&uid=526#top_display_media

Sadie after I read your instructions I believe we are using very similar techniques to make acrylic skins with minor variances. You use Elmers glue which obviously worked fine for you and should as well as several other glues and mediums.  I used a Golden product call Tar Gel which is transparent and self-leveling.  Our biggest difference is that you combined your products on your tiles while I sat my old craft sheet on top of cardboard (something stiff so I would be able to move the craft sheet) and directly poured the glues and paints onto the craft sheet.  Just like you I ran a skewer through it then I tilted the craft sheet so it would spread out more.  My dried skin is very thin.  I too tried them in punches but the metal is not sharp enough for it to cut the plastic skin.  But I did learn dies work wonderfully to cut the skins with my original Cuttlebug. I adhered my skins to my card with gel medium but I would think most basic glue/gel adhesive would work. 

I think it is so cool when we can learn from others when trying new techniques.  Like you I don't have other stampers here who would want to play with MM techniques.  I hope you don't mind if I further explore die cutting...but no problem if you want us to try your tile method.  One disadvantage of my method is that there is the possibility of collecting a few more scraps.  Right now my extras are self adhered to a  piece of strong plastic which I attached to some strong cardstock.  It is cut to size to fit in a small page protector. 

Thanks for your fantastic instructions!...Jan

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 06:18:11 PM by Far North »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
Sadie this is a wonderful challenge!  Your examples are fantastic!!

One of things I find most frustrating with mixed media is learning what products can do and if the products of different companies really do similar things or are they different.  Like Tim Holtz' acrylic paint is runny almost like re-inker..so it might not work for this technique but it is capable of many water friendly techniques similar to distress ink but it has some acrylic qualities too. 

Last month I post 2 photos in the gallery of my work making acrylic skins.  Here is my tag http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pid=500&uid=526#top_display_media
and the Christmas snowflake card 
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pid=499&uid=526#top_display_media

Sadie after I read your instructions I believe we are using very similar techniques to make acrylic skins with minor variances. I thought of your skins as I was exploring this glue technique.  You use Elmers glue which obviously worked fine for you and should as well as several other glues and mediums. I tried using the gel medium I had and It dried too fast for the swirly so I stuck with glue which is also something most people have on hand.   I used a Golden product call Tar Gel which is transparent and self-leveling. I have Liquitex gel medium but like I said it dried too fast, does tar gel dry slower?  Our biggest difference is that you combined your products on your tiles while I sat my old craft sheet on top of cardboard (something stiff so I would be able to move the craft sheet) and directly poured the glues and paints onto the craft sheet.  Just like you I ran a skewer through it then I tilted the craft sheet so it would spread out more.  My dried skin is very thin.  I too tried them in punches but the metal is not sharp enough for it to cut the plastic skin.  But I did learn dies work wonderfully to cut the skins with my original Cuttlebug. I adhered my skins to my card with gel medium but I would think most basic glue/gel adhesive would work. 

I think it is so cool when we can learn from others when trying new techniques.  Like you I don't have other stampers here who would want to play with MM techniques.  I hope you don't mind if I further explore die cutting...but no problem if you want us to try your tile method.  I don't mind at all, please share how it turns out.  One disadvantage of my method is that there is the possibility of collecting a few more scraps.  Right now my extras are self adhered to a  piece of strong plastic which I attached to some strong cardstock.  It is cut to size to fit in a small page protector. 

Thanks for your fantastic instructions!...Jan

I answered in brown, please share your pieces too. 

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 11:22:08 PM »
I started this challenge before I saw Sarah and Jan's notes.  I'm thinking overnight the pieces might be dry enough to slide off my craft mat so I can have it back in the morning?! 

I used some chipboard ivy leaves that I bought at least 15-20 years ago!  The price tag said Ben Franklin, and they are long gone from here!

I was surprised how self-leveling the glue was.  I used Aleene's Tacky Glue and Golden Fluid Acrylics (samples from when I worked at an Art Supply - it had perks!).  Why is it so much fun to swirl colored glue with a toothpick?!  :laugh:  I probably over swirled a bit.  Couldn't stop myself!  Fortunately I didn't have the trouble Sarah did with glue on the bottoms.  I used one toothpick to hold the chipboard in place and one to swirl.  The glue seems to have filled in the holes.  I do see where I didn't get all the way to the edge in a few spots.  I might have to do some trimming or inking later on.

Thanks so much for the really clear tutorial Sadie.  This was a lot of fun!  I'll be back once the glue dries.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 11:24:16 PM »
FYI Jan,

I just clicked on your links and they both point to one of my cards  ??? 
I missed your acrylic skin work the first time around, I'll have to check it out!  I made some a few years ago that had coffee grounds in it.  I'll have to dig that out and do something with it.

ETA :

Jan's Tag

Jan's snowflake card
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 11:37:12 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 03:15:02 AM »
Cindi, thanks for adding to my stardust by posting new links!  But oddly enough although my computer wouldn't allow me to paste into the above world icon above.  My links I posted below do work just fine on my computer and your new links do too.  Hmmm???

I would love to see your acrylic skins with the coffee grounds.  I read where seed beads could be added too but I haven't found any pictures. 

Sadie-my first skin was probably about 6x8 so it took a couple days to dry. I will be share photos when my pieces dry. Thanks!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 11:13:08 AM by Far North »

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 10:38:37 AM »
Ok, there are ghosts in the computer.  Because the links in iring's post take me to Daniel's weird Wizard of Oz piece. And I mean weird in the best sense of the word. 
Sarah