Author Topic: IKTOBERFEST 2014 -- SECOND CHANCE CHALLENGE  (Read 10171 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Re: IKTOBERFEST 2014 -- SECOND CHANCE CHALLENGE
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
I did two cards for Heidi's challenge, b/c I wasn't sure if my first card counted b/c I used Versamark and embossing powder as the ink to stamp over the BG…so I did another card with pigment ink used to stamp over BG. 

First one with embossing powder
This was to show the texture, but I may have to zoom it more with my computer--let me know and I'll be happy to! zoomed view of tree

Second Lighten up card

Now to upload my cut-outs….
~~Melissa :)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 11:38:41 AM »
Here are the two cutouts I meant to post yesterday:

CLEAR glue and ink pear

Glue and Ink pear

I am still going to try to the glue and ink one into a card since there are not many bubbles…maybe I can cover up the bubbles with ribbon etc.

I am not sure I'll get to it today (or over the weekend) since we're visiting relatives later today and over the weekend, but I still wanted to show my results thus far!

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 11:44:48 AM »
And just to show a few BG I made, but did not make into cards for Heidi's challenge:

Other BGs for Ligthen Up challenge

Daria, I added tags and headings that corresponded to the challenges I was doing even if I have not made into cards---I thought this might help with searching encase one needs to see examples even if not a finished project.  Hope that's ok.  :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 12:00:31 PM »
Daria-I certainly am with you about the smell of shaving cream-yuck! For my last purchase it was even hard to find regular shaving cream (of course we only have a choice of 3 stores) seems like most folks have moved to gels.  But now we have a new beauty shop supply store--I have to see if they have a fragrance free option.

My backgrounds from then do not have a scent.  I am thinking I put the in a box with my jar of Fresh Wave (check out website for more info).  It is a pot of odor eliminating gel beads that I use for any odor that I get in the house. It is natural product that does have its own unique scent but I find odors are usual gone in about 1 hour. It states it is safe for animals and the environment. I bought it at a Habitat store. 

I have started using Distress Paints.  They are kind of a blend of ink and acrylic characteristics. Pieces created with them have a flat matt finish.  But they are funny cause they don't feel chalky at all.  These come in bottles similar to dabbers but are much thinner plastic.  The is very liquid but one does need to shake before use.  I posted over at the Mixed Medium thread that Eclectic Paperie is closind at the end of the month but here is a link to a short but descriptive video on the paints Of course Tim has several more on his site. 

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 10:21:58 AM »
Wow!  Melissa, you've been busy!  I love your cards and your experimentation pieces.  Thank you for sharing all of them.  It's good that you used the challenge tags to share everything so they'll all be together when people are looking for information about the techniques you used.  Good idea.

Jan, thank you for that link and info about the Fresh Wave.  I also have a problem with a pine scent, but I might try it anyway.  Your mentioning this reminded me of the one spray I can use to eliminate odors--OdorCide.  My daughter brought that one home, and I was upset at first.  I told her I couldnt stand those sprays.  BUT, this one has a sharp citrus scent when sprayed, and a second later that scent is gone along with the odors.  I wonder if I could spray some onto some paper toweling and put it in a box with a smelly shaving cream card.  When I tried to get rid of the smell years ago, I put the pieces by an open window.  When that didn't work, I put them between the window and screen, shut the window, and left the pieces there for days.  When that didn't work, I put them outside.  When that didn't work, I put them away.  Once in a long while, I would give them the sniff test, and they still smelled.  I forgot about them.  Then one day, a year or two later, they were fine.  lol.  I think I like your option much better. 

Good luck in the fragrance free section of the beauty supply store.  I tried to find a mousse for my hair that was fragrance free at one of ours, and they just didn't have anything.  Also, when it come to shaving cream, I think I did find one free of fragrances for sensitive skin, but the smell of the shaving cream itself was still pretty bad.

Maybe the crafting industry should come up with a foam spray for us that doesn't smell at all.  I'd buy it.

Daria

ETA:  I wonder if that stuff would work with grunge board?  That's something else that has an odor I can't stand.

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »
I posted this on The Shadow Knows thread, but since that challenge is over and not too many people will be checking out the thread, I'm posting it here too:

I just found another example of this technique using outline stamps, and it looks fabulous.  Check this out:

Kristina Werner's Holiday Card Series 2014, Day 4
There's a video tutorial there too.

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 08:52:28 PM »
I finally finished something!  Here's my gallery post for the Cindi's ATC Challenge:

Masterboard

ATCs

I posted individual ATCs in my gallery on Scrapbook.com so take a peek there if you want to see them better.

Cindi, this was a fun challenge.  Thank you!

TFL.
Daria
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 06:24:37 PM by djc »

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 09:13:39 PM »
I also made a bookmark.  I'm not sure it would have qualified for Leigh Ann's Book 'em Challenge, but her challenge is the reason I now have a new bookmark.  I started it during Inktoberfest and finished it today.  Well, I'll probably mount it on a black mat, but it's suppose to be one layer so I'm posting it that way.  I'm not going for any RAK's, so I'm posting my bookmark that was inspired by one of the Inktoberfest challenges.   ::)

Oh, my.  I had to resize that bookmark five times before it was small enough to post in the gallery!

Here it is.

TFL.
Daria

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 09:19:58 AM »
Daria-so glad you see you did get some good creative time!  Your masterboard and subsequent ATC's and bookmarks are awesome!  So good to see your work.

I did more creating yesterday for the 2nd chance and will post today.

Thanks too for the link to KWerner's use of the shadow technique-that's cool!

...Jan

PS...You said you still wanted to do something with your final ATC.  You might consider inking the edges with your blending tool perhaps even a darker color.  Like a mat it pulls ones eye into looking more closely at the piece.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:43:20 AM by Far North »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 09:45:13 AM »
I also made a bookmark.  I'm not sure it would have qualified for Leigh Ann's Book 'em Challenge, but her challenge is the reason I now have a new bookmark...

WTG, Daria! Like many of us, I struggle with staying 'true' to hoster's challenge, but what is always fun to see is how we all give credit to the 'inspiration' & the 'spirit'--even when we stretch the margins of any challenge.

Hmmmm. 'Inspired By' might make a great challenge. ;)
Daniel

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 02:18:04 PM »
Jan, I did exactly that to all of them this morning.  I thought how much better the black-paste cards would look with a very narrow black mat, but I didn't want to cut them down to allow for matting.  So I took a black Tombow and just edged them--over and over.  It's subtle, but it looks better to me.  Then I took a dark pink followed by a dark orange and edged the copper-paste card.  I still would like to add to that last card.  I used black gems on the first three cards, and I would like to add some dimension to the copper card too. 

I tried various items on a blank piece of paper just to see how they looked, and the best one was the Viva Pearl Pen, but the copper is very dark in comparison with the copper embossing paste.  I might just use some Judikins Diamond Glaze.  I might end up ruining it, but . . .

OK.  I got my Diamond Glaze to come out (no easy feat!), and it's done.  I put it aside, and I'm waiting a couple of days before I so much as touch it.  We'll see how that turns out.

Daniel, I thought about allowing "Inspired By" pieces count for the Second Chance Challenge, but I was afraid we'd go too far off the track.  Maybe next time I'll add that and allow for just one variation from the original requirements.  My bookmark already has the black mat attached. (What, no blushing smiley?)  What did you mean by a French or Franch Mat that you mentioned in your comment?

Daria

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 02:31:57 PM »
Daria. Wasn't suggesting challenge hosters be overly-liberal for 'inspired by', just complimenting you (& other AIs) who acknowledge the source of their work--whether it's a specific composition &/or a technique. :smile:

'French Matting' is a non-layered technique. Instead of using an actual mat on a piece you use ink/paint to simulate the mat. HTH, pal.
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 05:10:07 PM »
Well I went to clean up my craft table this afternoon and stuck my hand in some wet paint!  The white acrylic paint that I experimented with adding drops in re-inker ink to, I guess never dried over the weekend.  I mixed it up Thursday and left it to dry on the freezer paper thinking it'd make some pretty skins to use later on (that was before I learned it all relaxed into a mix of colors instead).  And it wasn't just tacky---it was wet!

Doesn't acrylic paint dry in 24 hours or so?  I guess the re-inker caused it not to dry?

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 09:03:08 PM »
I posted my Holi-Daze entry inin the gallery.

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 10:24:50 PM »
I'm glad you were able to play, Jan.  It looks like you had fun with Daniel's challenge.  That Cuttlebug pumpkin folder has always driven me crazy.  I bought it and then realized that the pumpkins had holly leaves!  What's up with that?  I used to look for an embossing folder that had pumpkins with pumpkin leaves, but I haven't looked for a while.  I think I'll start checking it out again.

Daria