Author Topic: WF15 Hangover Bokeh (WINNER ANNOUNCED)  (Read 16977 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: WF15 Hangover Bokeh (3/2 -3/8) ***NEW***
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 01:44:51 PM »
LOL, Heidi! When I saw the word 'Bokeh', I thot it referred to a city in FL.! ;D I checked out as many of the links as I could--along with your own pieces (terrific).  Looks like this another one of those techies that has lots of room for interpretation.

I may not get to this technique right away, but I do want to play with it. Maybe for a KIAE project this month?

FWIW... If you have access to a store (B&M/online) that stocks drafting supplies, you might find 'stencils' for circles & many other shapes--geometric, architectural, landscaping, etc.  Before drawing-by-computer, these tools helped designers add elements to their drawings.

I like the white-over-color aspect of this 'nique. I want to try using my white paints. Many of them can go from transparant > opaque just by how they are applied.  ;)

Thanks for a fun challenge, Heidi! O0
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 01:48:34 PM »
Heidi I just saw your card where you used stamps to do the bokeh---great idea!  You didn't think it really looked like bokeh, so I was going to suggest if maybe you did the same stamp using white pigment over a colored BG and see......

Your flower stamp bokeh reminds me of some photos someone showed me over the holidays: It was a photo of a Christmas tree and where all the lights on the tree were there were gingerbread men...they said that they put these glasses the perspn had over the camera lens to take the photo----so it was what happened when you put these glasses on and looked at the Christmas tree lights. 

That is a good idea, LeighAnn, I did not think of trying to add some flowers with the white ink!

I have wanted to try the Bokeh with a filter over my camera to do the pictures like you described. It looks really cool. I think Bokeh can be different shapes other than circles, although it is usually circles.
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 01:52:07 PM »
April, that is so awesome you were able to do this technique with alcohol inks.  You really need to do a tuturial on your blog because I have not seen it done before with the AI and I think everyone would love to learn this.

The colors are beautiful and your lovely card is wonderful too.

It made me think that maybe this could be done over patterned paper too. I think it is worth a try. 

Thanks for doing my challenge!
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 01:53:34 PM »
Daniel, I think it is a good idea to try this with paints.  Why not!?

I have some really inexpensive stencils from PLAID that have different sized cirlcles, hearts and stars.  It has been easy to use with this technique, but I also was able to make my own stencil too. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 01:58:49 PM »
Thanks, Heidi. ITA that April/Willy's  'color lift' appoach with alcohol inks soooo works for this.

And Willy?........... Sometimes we just gotta cover up our greatest work. Art hurts sometimes. ;) ;D
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 12:31:21 PM »
After I made my card I felt like I should have left more background. I will do that on my next ones. This technique needs to be seen! :smile:

Stampwilly

Offline Christinmay

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 08:30:17 PM »
What a beautiful-looking technique - and it looks so fun! I've never seen that before! Thanks Heidi.
Christin

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 11:37:31 AM »
April, I love your card! I will have to try that with alcohol ink.

Heidi, I have those same stencils that you're talking about I think!

I did a watercolor background yesterday, just need to work more on it.

I think it would be nice to do a Christmas card with this technique. It's on my to do list.
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 01:51:50 PM »
Christin, I am glad you like the technique. It is a little messy but not hard.

LeighAnn, yes, I agree that it would make a great Christmas card in many different colors!

I hope some of you are able to find a little time to make a background. Remember, you can just post your background, you do not have to make a card now if you aren't ready.
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 02:43:55 PM »
These are the two pieces I madefor the challenge...I will not have time to finish them into cards, since some things came up that we have to do for the next few day....but I wanted to show what I had accomplished thus far!

first attempt

second attempt

This is fun--though I think the white ink on the glossy one is still wet....and I think some of the colors (especially on the glossy one) started coming off onto the ink pad, which made me think I wasn't suppose to be using the ink pad directly to the colored BG... :-\

Thank you Heidi for hosting this fun challenge!
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 04:03:24 PM »
I stole some 'trashing time' & gave Bokeh a try using my (white) slick paint over an alcohol ink BG. The results were interesting. I sent the piece off to an AI pal (without letting her know). I think she'll like the surprise.

Fun challenge, Heidi! TY!
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 05:24:34 PM »
Melissa and Daniel, thanks so much for trying this out.  Daniel, it will be great to see what you came up with.

Melissa, when I was doing mine, even though I let my background dry for a while, I also got some of the ink onto my white ink sponge. I think that might be par for the course. In my case, it did not affect the final result. 

I like your backgrounds, I think you are definitely on the Bokeh track!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 12:12:08 PM »
Here is my first try of the technique:
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1213&message_id=0f3b2b246d1764bb32e4cce1861f18b1&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Here is my second try:
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1214&message_id=cec7befd0f65a5d4dda37d79d5330695&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

I learned to use a bit more white ink on the second try and I think next time I would give more time for the white ink to dry before stamping on the images, they kind of sucked up the white ink so it isn't a solid black stamping
Fun technique, like the pretty softness this gives for a background

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »
Connie, I like both of your cards!  That is a good point about stamping the black over the white ink. I think it still looks nice in your card though.  Thanks for participating!
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 01:50:45 PM »
I have been playing with this technique for a few days now and darn it, this is fun......I have a couple different backgrounds that I haven't finished the card but wanted to share since I don't know if I will have time to actually finish the card or not.

The first one (attached to this post) I used yellow and a light brown paint for the background.  I used a time holtz round distresser with a foam bottom to apply the background paint so there wouldn't be any paint brush strokes.  Then I used a piece of paper I punched three sizes of circles out of for a stencil and used gesso with another round distresser to do the circles on the card background.  I made several different tries to get varying degrees of opaque on the circles.  It turned out ok except that my paper stencil started leaving runs around the edges of the circles.

The second one (also attached to this post) I used green distress spray and sprayed on the background.  Then I used gesso again through my homemade stencil.  I think I made 3 new circles as the old ones filled up with runs. 

The gesso seems to leave varying degrees of darkness in the circles.  I do not have any round solid stamps so I figured a stencil would be best.  I don't know what do you think, is this what it is supposed to look like?

The third one I did I used dylusions spray ink for the background, blotted it and then using a baby wipe I wiped off some of the spray ink using a circle stencil.  The largest circle on the stencil is still sort of small.  But then I moved the stencil and sprayed white linen dylusions spray ink, blotted it, then moved the stencil and repeated the white linen.  I really like this background and I actually finished the project out so I posted this one in the gallery.  I like this one a lot but I am not sure if it really looks like it is supposed to or not either......what do you think?  Link! 
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......