Author Topic: Gesso Resist Challenge (2/21-03/01) WINNER ANNOUNCED :)  (Read 16700 times)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
Re: Gesso Resist Challenge (2/21-03/01)
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »
Heidi, that's so funny! Watch out, if Jennifer McGuire does a video on it there will be a shortage on gesso! Anytime she does a video using a certain stamp or product it's almost impossible to find it!

Ann, I love your card. glad you liked the technique!
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2015, 12:33:43 PM »
I attached my samples to this post that I've been have trouble with.

The CS on the left, is basic CS and is the 1st attempt and has peeled etc.

The middle one is watercolor paper, so no peeling, but no lightening really.

The right on is bristol paper and is the last attempt using more gesso and including a different stamp too and trying distress stain at the top.

With all the samples, only some lightening occurred---but the last one did have the most lightening, so maybe my gesso is too thin when it stamps.....but I will say that water was not lightening it too much so I switched to a baby wipe and that took off a little more---maybe I need a soap?
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2015, 12:36:58 PM »
I had a lot of similar discards before I got one that worked.  To me, it looks like the left regular cardstock has an area that did resist.  But the peeling is an issue. I wonder if gesso can go bad? Thanks for sharing Melissa.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2015, 02:36:11 PM »
Melissa what brand of gesso are you using?

The first thing my directions say (Liquitex) is to stir well.  The thinness of the gesso should not be the problem...look at my card and you can see through the gesso and see the dictionary print showing through.  So I wonder if you are not getting the gesso's barrier properties dispersed evenly throughout the container.  Are you diluting the gesso with water?...that breaks down the barrier properties.  If thinning is needed matte medium should be used.

No I don't think you should need to try soap!  The ink should be only minimally be on the surfaced of the gesso...a very light rubbing and only a slighty damp cloth should remove the ink. 

I too use distress stain but only went over it once...looks like you saturated the paper with ink. Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:44:26 PM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2015, 02:50:04 PM »
The first thing my directions say (Liquitex) is to stir well.

:o Oh!  I have never stirred my gesso!   :o Maybe that's my problem with everything--the cracked journal page and this resist trouble! 

I have Michael's brand "Artist's Loft" Gesso (link)---and there are no directions on the product or their website. 

Thanks for the comments and tips Heidi and Jan!  I really do appreciate it and I am sure I'll figure this out---even if I just end up getting another brand all together. 

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2015, 11:40:34 PM »
Here is the card I made with the last sample: 

flower gesso card

Thank you LeighAnn for hosting a fun challenge---I learned alot and am still learning!  :)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2015, 11:58:46 AM »
I finally had a piece turn out like it is supposed to. And I figured out that my issue was definitely a drying issue.  I found on my desk a piece I stamped with the gesso last weekend and didn't do anything with because I was having such issues with this technique.  So I figured I would give it a try.  And viola, it worked.  The gesso actually resisted the Distress Ink.  Stupid humidity in Florida.  So now I've got 3 unfinished projects for this challenge I need to get a move on finishing.
Sarah

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2015, 03:07:34 PM »
I noticed one of my bottles I got a month or so ago at HL on clearance says Liquitex CLEAR gesso and it's in a bottle.  I'm going to try it later after I  found this website using it to do a stamping resist. link for using clear gesso

Now I am still going to first go mix my gesso up as Jan's brand says to do as my last attempt to use the gesso I have. 

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2015, 06:44:54 PM »
Here are my last three pieces.

The first is the one I created with the Hero Arts background stamp that I mentioned last weekend.  The resist didn't come out as well as I hoped but I like how it looks.
Pink and Yellow Resist

This is another of the ones I did last week.  Again, the resist did not show up as much as I was hoping for.  It is going to be a birthday card from my mother-in-law.
Birthday Card

This last one is the one that I let sit for a week before adding the color to and the resist worked the best on it.
Fingerprint Butterflies

Now that I know the key is letting it sit for a week, I may give this technique another go.  Thanks for a great challenge.
Sarah

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2015, 10:08:04 AM »
Sorry I didn't get a chance to get on here yesterday but I just finished checking out the last entries and I put everyone's name in a hat. I had my littlest one draw a name since my big helper is at school today. He pulled out a name, then tried to eat it of course.

And the winner is......

Heidi!

Congrats! I loved learning so much from this challenge and seeing everyone's work. I wish I could RAK everyone for playing  O0. Heidi, I have your address and will get your RAK out today or tomorrow!
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Gesso Resist Challenge (2/21-03/01) WINNER ANNOUNCED :)
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »
Oh, how exciting!  Thanks so much LeighAnn.

This was a tough challenge, but it is so satisfying to get a nice result after much hard work and trying again.  I am happy to have the gesso around now because I found some other techniques to try with it. Actually, I went looking for some, and saw that I had already pinned some cards that used gesso and did not even know it! lol
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2015, 01:16:36 PM »
Congrats, Heidi.
Sarah

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2015, 01:21:23 PM »
Congratulatins Heidi!  And thank you LeighAnn for hosting this challenge--I liked learning it despite I didn't get as white of results as I hoped with my gesso.  Going to try again this week!