Author Topic: WF15 Hangover Bokeh (WINNER ANNOUNCED)  (Read 16976 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: WF15 Hangover Bokeh (3/2 -3/8) ***NEW***
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 02:56:44 PM »
As I understand it, Bokeh is originally a photo-effect? So what we're attempting to do is create a similar effect with inks, paints & more.  If that's true, then I think we're all doing a pretty decent job of translating.

Sadie. I really like the gesso-ed circles. They have a nice diffused look, but also have just a touch of dimension. The sprayed version is very cool. The 'look' is very similar, but I'm sure IRL one can see differences. When I used my dimensional paint to make my circles, I ended up with something closer to your gesso-ed ones. I'll share more once I have a pic to show.

Here's a tip for those making their own stencils from paper/card... Stenciling (generally) uses very little pigment on the applicator. This helps avoid seepage & such. When using sprays or very liquid pigments, you can seal your paper/card stencils by rubbing a bit of petroleum jelly on both sides & wiping off any excess. Your stencil will be more resistant to liquid pigments. ;)
Daniel

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 03:58:48 PM »
Sadie I really like how the yellow background came out, I was going to try the technique with watercolor paints or H2O's but ended up doing both with distress inks but I would like to give the other a try too

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 04:45:26 PM »
We often talk about trends here and I am surprised at how long it takes for some of techniques to become commonly used.  But I think this one still has some bumps with info to achieve more predicatable results. I remember spending lots of time on this technique 2 years ago at Christmas when it was the rage on the Hero Arts board.  I never did get results that were happy to me.  Just a few weeks ago SCS had a tutorial on this and I now still see a wide range of results much broader than what I see here.  I am sure part of what products one has on hand. Anyways now I am having fun with the challenge of achieving dependable results.  I think most of our results are very usable...at least major parts.

I agree with Sadie this is fun exploring what results we can get. I started with watercolors on WC paper. I used 4.25x5.5 sized paper.  The 1st photo I dried with my heat gun to after painting and before adding Memories Unicorn ink...but the white ink "disappeared into the paint.  I heat dried again and added Memories Metallic White...it stayed longer but by morning it too had faded considerably.

I flipped the WC paper over for a smoother surface #2  photo blue background.

I have given thought to other medium but no specific solution yet.  The final blue-pink colors are Nick Bantock reinkers....not in love with the red turned-icky pink color.

So Daniel doesn't petroleum jelly leave oily residue on paper?

Thanks Heidi for bringing us back to tackle this challenge!...Jan
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:00:22 PM by Far North »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 05:40:55 PM »
Terrific post, Jan. TY for the visuals, too. O0

The short answer to your PJ question is "No". Once you've rubbed off any excess, the oil doesn't transfer to the working surface--WC paper, etc.  Long as the stock you use to make your stencil will absorb the sealer--early stencilers used linseed oil--the stencil will take on a leathery feel. I recommend using thin (unglazed) cardstock for making stencils--even if you aren't necessarily planning to keep the stencil.  Thanks for asking. :smile:
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 06:36:30 PM »
Sadie, I really like all your backgrouds.  I really like how you experimented with different materials!  I really love the the background in the gallery that is more out of focus. I feel like that really resembles the bokeh photo looks.  However they are all great.  Thanks so much for participating!
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 06:42:07 PM »
Jan, I also really like your backgrounds!  I think there is a range of looks there, but they are all nice. At this point, I really don't think there is an absolute correct way either and why not use many different materials!?

If were talking about it, I am not married to the idea that there is going to be an absolute correct way to do Bokeh.  I think there area variety of ways I have seen it used in photos, and why not have a bit of a variety of looks for papercrafting too? 

Thanks for participating and I am really enjoying the great dialogue! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 09:51:58 PM »
Thanks Heidi for your compliment and comments.

Sorry if I was not clear that I do enjoy the wide variety of results I am seeing here.  I heard a few of us are expressing difficulty in getting the white pigment ink to stay on top of the paint or ink surface.  To me that feels like the chemistry between products is not working efficiently with how I am doing the technique...I already put it on my list "to experiment with further" when I get a chance. First up I want to try the products Sadie shared.

Thanks Daniel for your response...I had never heard about using PJ before.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:01:27 AM by Far North »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2015, 08:00:31 AM »
very cool seeing the different effects you got Jan, I think before I try anymore I might look into a different white ink pad.

Offline Christinmay

• Stampers
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 04:24:52 AM »
I had a great time doing this challenge with my kids! I ended up with a lovely BG. Unfortunately, uploading photos is completely beyond me here - I had no problems at 2Peas, but every time I try here, it says that my file size is too large. I don't know how to easily solve this problem.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with it - thanks Heidi! My dd6 created a nice BG, too, which she turned into a card, but she complained that it was "an adult craft"  ;D
Christin

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2015, 07:38:37 AM »
Christin do you have a photo editing program, I have adobe photoshop but there are others out there that are free.  In my program you can just go in and change the size very easily.  If you do have photoshop I can let you know how to size it.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 08:58:33 AM »
I had a great time doing this challenge with my kids! I ended up with a lovely BG. Unfortunately, uploading photos is completely beyond me here - I had no problems at 2Peas, but every time I try here, it says that my file size is too large. I don't know how to easily solve this problem.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with it - thanks Heidi! My dd6 created a nice BG, too, which she turned into a card, but she complained that it was "an adult craft"  ;D

Christin, that happens to me when I try to upload in the forum, but have you gone over to the gallery?  You get to the gallery by the link at the top of the page. 

I am glad you had fun with the background and hope we have a chance to see it sometime!
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2015, 09:00:04 AM »
http://duhnproductions.com/forum/index.php?board=60.0

That is a link to the Tips and Tricks forum.  It will give directions on how to post photos in the gallery. HTH.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2015, 09:51:07 AM »
Christin so glad your family got to make art together! As for photo sizes this is not an uncommon requirement for many smaller forum sites with galleries.  If your camera has a choice of size I just select small or sometimes referred to as e-mail version.  If you have a Microsoft package on your computer check to see if you have a program called Microsoft Picture Manager (sometimes located under accessories).

Or there are free sites online if you search "photo resize". Basically a photo is just upload to a site and select small. However I do not know how "safe" they are.

Or if you use online storage for photos most of them have photo editing.
Once you have your photo re-sized just follow Heidi's link.
Let us know if you need further details.

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 10:04:48 AM »
I haven't had a chance to check out everyones entries yet but plan to later tonight.

Here's my card I made. I like the background but I don't like my sentiment that I stamped on it. So I'm not super happy with it.

This is a fun technique though and one I plan to do again soon. Thank you, Heidi for hosting O0

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1216
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2015, 10:12:49 AM »
LeighAnn, your background is adorable. I love the added hearts!  Thanks for playing along!
~~Heidi~~