Author Topic: Happy Mail-distress oxide ink (DOX) backgrounds  (Read 4370 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: Happy Mail-distress oxide ink (DOX) backgrounds
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2019, 05:21:36 AM »
Thanks Cindi for sharing the details about your work and clean-up too.  Yes, I too use Dawn on several other oily type issues. Hope you had a fun time playing! 

Here are 2 posts for my cards.  I also have 2 cards with the beginning description of this challenge. Here are 2 posts for my cards.

Thanks for playing!...Jan
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 06:21:30 AM by Far North »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 05:30:45 PM »
My backgrounds, done with Bristol smooth paper

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4306#top_display_media

My finished card

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4307#top_display_media

I couldn't get really good long swiped just short one, don't know if I didn't have enough water or needed more ink, or what.  I didn't try any other card stock, I don't know if this is for me.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2019, 08:27:48 AM »
As I look at the background samples it appears that most of the credit card swipes are short and the long swipes are often layered at the end of a previous swipe.  I think the watery ink does not hold onto the plastic cc very well... not anything like acrylic paint.  Nonetheless your background looks great with your silhouette image.  Thanks for playing! 

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2019, 01:35:26 PM »
I received Happy Mail yesterday.  Thank you so much, April, for the beautiful card and the nice note!  I love the colors and patterns and the giraffe is awesome! 

Connie, I like your backgrounds and your pretty card.  With all of the cards you make, I'm sure you'll find a way to use all of your backgrounds. 

You're right, Jan.  Paint sticks to the credit card much better, but I think we all have some fun backgrounds to play with now.  They always look great once they are in a finished card!
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2019, 10:54:38 PM »
So many cool backgrounds!  I finished mine, but I didn't realize we were posting cards before they were sent out.  My card was mailed today.
I'll post tomorrow.

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2019, 11:01:37 AM »
I posted my backgrounds and card in the gallery.

Backgrounds

Card

I watched the videos on using Distress Oxide Inks on glossy cardstock and adding the Distress Glaze.  Wow!  I love that.  I wonder if the Micro Glaze that Judikins sells is the same thing.  The label says that it contains wax and petroleum spirits.  I'll have to try it since I have some of that.

Daria

ETA:  I just watched Tim's video introducing Distress Oxide Micro Glaze.  He said it was the original Skycraft recipe that has been around for years, and that is what I have--both the original and the one bought from Judikins.  What's weird is that I also watched a video for DIY D. O. Micro Glaze, and the demonstrator said that Tim Holtz said his micro glaze did not contain wax and was a mixture of alcohol and petroleum jelly.  She made some up using just those two ingredients, and it worked fine to protect her work from water, but I didn't notice the dramatic effect that Jan's video showed.  She must have misunderstood what Tim said about wax since my jar by Skycraft says it contains wax and petroleum spirits.  I guess the next question is how is petroleum spirits different than petroleum jelly.  In any case, it appears that what I have is the same thing as the Distress Oxide Micro Glaze so I'm anxious to try it out.   
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:49:24 AM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2019, 06:41:51 PM »
My backgrounds are in the gallery. 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4310#top_display_media

My card is nearly done, just need to make final decisions.  I also didn’t realize we would post our photos here before they arrived, but I will try to get it posted by Wednesday. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 06:43:31 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2019, 06:02:39 AM »
So sorry for the confusion on when to post the card you made for your partner in the gallery.  I will be sure to clarify that in my next challenge post. 

I always learn so much from playing with all of you on new technique challenges.  Many thanks for sharing your creative talent!
...Jan

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2019, 11:00:58 AM »
My card is in the mail to April, if she doesn’t want to see it ahead, hopefully she can just not click the link. 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4311#top_display_media

Daria, I think petroleum spirits are a solvent.  So something to sortof thin out the petroleum jelly, maybe?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2019, 09:22:09 PM »
My card will go out to Daria first thing in the morning! 
Thanks so much for the challenge Jan! 
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2019, 11:05:40 PM »
I made two more cards while my oxide inks were out.  The one on the right uses a background from the challenge.

So far I have 4 cards as a result of this challenge.  One for the happy mail swap (going to Daria), a birthday card and two Valentine's.  Yay!  More cards than I've made in awhile, and I still have more backgrounds. 

It's been a fun challenge!  I love seeing the backgrounds and the finished cards everyone has made!
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2019, 09:00:51 AM »
I am really having fun using the distress oxide backgrounds!  So glad I made extra!  These gift card holders are samples for my Winterfest challenge.  They are very easy to make.

I love the portion of background that happened to show through on the second dog stamping.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:05:18 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2019, 05:32:12 PM »
I love all the cards that have been posted.  I think that maybe I should get busy with all the backgrounds I made this time and the dozen I made a few years ago.  You've given me lots of ideas.  I've been gone all week.  I hope I haven't missed anyone's card.

Today I received my card from Cindi.  I absolutely love it.  So sad that the telephone isn't a die-cut, but so happy Cindi sent me one to play with.  I have a friend with a Silhouette (I think that is what it is.), and I'm going to show her this card.  Just maybe . . .  lol.

Heidi, you hit a home run with the scene you created for your card. 

Jan, thank you so much for the challenge. 

Daria