Author Topic: Embossing glitter/tinsel  (Read 2272 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Embossing glitter/tinsel
« on: November 11, 2014, 10:25:57 AM »
I bought a small jar of "embossing tinsel" at Tuesday Morning and while they had a few colors to pick from (some were labeled "embossing glitter", just depended on the brand), I only bought the copper color glitter jar since I don't have this color.

Then I wondered if embossing glitter/tinsel is just clear EP mixed with glitter (this is all it looked like to me)….although the copper one looked like it also had maybe some dye/coloring along with the glitter. 

But my question is…can I just make my OWN embossing glitter/tinsel or is there something special about the jars label "embossing glitter/tinsel" that I saw?
~~Melissa :)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Re: Embossing glitter/tinsel
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:50:51 AM »
OOOOO, good question, and I hope somebody has the answer.  I saw a video where Tim Holtz put reinker color into plain embossing powder to change the color, he didn't use very much.  I wonder if one couldn't just put glitter into either colored or clear embossing powder.  This might be worth trying just to see.  I have little bottles of that sugar glitter from a few years ago and have never used it.  This would be a way to use that glitter.

Thank you for asking this question yellow!
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »
That is a good question.  I don't really think it is that simple but I don't know.  I only have one embossing tinsel and it seems like the large glitter pieces are kindof coated in the embossing powder stuff. 

BUT, the glitter embossing powder does look more like it might be clear embossing powder with glitter added. 

The two products I have are very different from one another, imo.
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »
Good idea Sadie---to add reindeer to clear EP!  Ooo! I think I will try that just for fun!

Heidi, I thought the embossing glitter might be different than the embossing tinsel---I was just assuming they were the same product since EP and glitter were involved.  lol!  I did think the two products looked different at the store, but I thought maybe it was the lighting or packaging that was making the two look different: the "embossing glitter" really DID look like clear EP + glitter, but the tinsel looked like dyed EP + glitter. 

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 01:13:10 PM »
Jennifer McGuire adds glitter to embossing powder. embossing glitter

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 02:14:39 PM »
Thanks Kathy for the link!  I have quite a few of those small jars!!!   O0 O0  I now know what to try my EP + glitter experiment in.  TY! 

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »
Good find, Kathy!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 09:09:51 AM »
WTG, Melissa! Since a large part of my crafting history--amateur & pro--is based on "what happens if...?", I'm glad to be among so many like-minded crafters. O0

Mixing in various components to our EPs is like any good cooking. We test an idea out &  tweak it as we go.

One thing I might try is to stamp with clear Versamark & then a sprinkle of glitter. After shaking off any excess, I'd cover with clear EP & heat. The result I'd expect is embedded glitter, but you never know. ;)

Here's to all us 'lab rats'! ;D

Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
Good ideas Daniel on how to go about experimenting!   O0  and the comparison to cooking is spot on!    I am going to give this a try after I finish a few things around the house…it's on my to-do list!

I was watching a few videos on other enamel products and in this one videos the woman stamped Versamark, added the enamel/tapped off, then added glitter on top/tapped off and she said to heat from the bottom so everything will melt together….now I want to experiment with that and see how much glitter and enamel sticks depending on which order you do.

AND I am going to find the baby food jars and tiny cosmetic jars for travel and use them to mix up a few mixtures. 

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 02:16:18 PM »
Eat your heart out Madame Curie--AI has lots of 'Madame Curious' craft scientists! O0

Daniel