Author Topic: How long do scissors last?  (Read 4521 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
How long do scissors last?
« on: January 06, 2015, 09:17:30 AM »
I have a pair of cutterbee scissors and Tim Holtz scissors.  Both are probably about 2 year old.

Neither of them cuts ribbon well anymore.

I am wondering if they should be lasting longer than this or not.  They both work fine for paper.

What do you think?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: How long do scissors last?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »
Sorry to hear about your scissors! Scissors are critical and expensive. I have similar issues with paper cutters dying before I think they should. But who knows when most products are now designed to have a relatively short lifespan so we have to buy new ones. Metal products from cars to cooking pots seem to be thinner than ever before so even when made by the same company it is hard to know if one is really comparing the same metal quality.

I was taught when I was young fabric scissors are never to be used on paper or it dulls them.  I still have separate scissors for fabric which I use on fabric ribbon too.  I don't know if this works in reverse...wonder if fabric is harsh on paper scissors..hmm??

I did hear an avid card maker on U-tube yesterday say she buys small cutterbee detail papercutting scissors about every 2 years. 

Mine have lasted many years...but I also have a Fiskars scissor sharpener that I use from time to time. It is a small tool one pulls the scissors through.

Good question Heidi!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:22:25 AM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 11:01:39 AM »
I saw the Fiskar scissors sharpener at Joanns the other day and wondered how well it works....though none of my scissors are dull I don't think. 

I too was taught (I think from Home Ec) not to use fabric scissors for paper...so I keep two different scissors, but I do use my Martha Stewart small scissors on paper for fussy cutting and also to cut ribbon and haven't noticed any trouble (I also grab them to trim threads off of things I sew).  I've had them for years---at least 5 years.  It's this one: Martha Stewart Scissors 

Can you tighten the screw on either scissors?  Maybe the two blades have separated slightly over the years...  do you notice a difference on cutting the ribbon if the ribbon is doubled over on itself or if you cut two ribbons at once? (I was thinking if you make the ribbon thicker, maybe it'd cut better---thus I suppose you could back the ribbon with paper or CS and then cut and see if it cuts the ribbon better).  And just a thought---will the ribbon cut near the screw?--which is a place less used than other parts of the blade. 

The other thing I'd do would be to write the companies and ask them how long the scissors last and explain that it doesn't cut ribbon well any longer---see what the companies say/suggest. You never know when your input could help them make better products in the future (or at least that is what I tell myself when I write companies  :laugh:). 

~~Melissa :)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 11:13:50 AM »
I have a couple pairs of scissors that I have had for close to 35 years and they still work fine as long as I don't use the insulation stuff with the sticky on one side for pop dots with them.  If I do then I take stamp cleaner and clean the scissor blades off.  They all still work wonderfully, maybe I am not too fussy with my scissors.  My Tim Holtz scissors never have cut ribbon worth a darn though so I can't really help you with that.  I use a cutterbee scissor or a fiskars scissor for ribbon.  I also keep my paper scissors separate from my material scissors.  I never, never cut paper with my material scissors......

I have a tendency to loose my cutterbee scissors, I had the cutest pink pair for about 5 years and haven't been able to find them for the last couple of years.  Not sure where they might have gone.  Maybe you just need to clean your scissor blades with stamp cleaner or alcohol.  If you trim the edges of things off of cards that have glue on them the scissors might also have glue on them making them less sharp.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 11:17:13 AM »
Thanks for the ideas and information ladies!

I think I will try to clean the scissor with alcohol.  I have the pink cutterbees.  I have lost the cover for the blade. I poke myself with them all the time, but I like them.

Writing the company is a good idea, but I wonder if I shouldn't get a new pair for ribbon.  I will think about it.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 02:28:27 PM »
I totally agree with Sadie about glue possibly being a problem but also anything else sticky like tape, stickers.  And when I think about it I only use the mini scissors for paper detail trimming...not even card stock.

Yes, like Melissa said sometimes thin, slippery satin type ribbon needs to be folded at the spot where you want to cut.  Yes, you may waste a 1/32 of an inch but it will give you a cleaner cut.  I would avoid cutting any bulky ribbon, soft baker's twine or ribbon attached to anything with my fabric scissors...I would use my typical general household scissors for those. 

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 02:41:38 PM by Far North »

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 04:55:42 PM »
I have a small separate pair of scissors that I use for ribbon. They're fiskars brand I got in the sewing section.

Sadie, I had 2 pair of cutter bee that I lost. I have no idea how either! I've had my Tim Holtz ones for a couple of years now that I just use for cardmaking.

LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 10:29:55 AM »
y'all loosing scissors remind me of a sweater I lost about 12 years ago---I only got to wear it 2x and somehow it walked off.....or maybe I left it at a house I was house sitting at the time and it decided to live there instead....   :(   :-\
~~Melissa :)