Author Topic: Online classes-please share what is your experience?  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Online classes-please share what is your experience?
« on: July 07, 2015, 03:10:13 AM »
Please respond with as much info as you wish and add any related info.
1.   Have you purchased an online class related to your interest in stamping and if so describe how many.   If no, is there a specific reason you do not consider taking an online class?
2.   What are you hoping to obtain in an online class that you can’t find elsewhere?
3.   What features do you like about online classes?
4.   What differences do like about online classes compared to classes available locally?
5.   Describe your favorite class. 
6.   Have you experienced any issues with online classes to which you would like to alert your AI pals?

Thanks for sharing!...Jan
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:24:50 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Online classes-please share what is your experience?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 07:25:43 AM »
This comes at a good time. I am considering taking the Background class that starts later this month.  I also am a little interested in some of the for pay Craftsy classes (have watched the videos for two of the free ones and enjoyed the new ideas for those.)

1)  I purchased a class once from Online Card Classes.  I had previously won a spot in one of those so I have taken two.
2)  I was hoping for more detailed or indepth content than what you can find elsewhere for free.  I think they did a good job with that. 
3) I liked having the class "live" with students sharing their projects and questions each day.
4)  There are no classes available locally.  Not a single one that I have ever seen.
5)  ???
6)  No issues per se, but I would be less likely to take an Online Card Class later on that was no longer live becauase I do really like the interaction part of it so it would be less value for me even though you get to see the videos.  The class projects reflect the styles of the teachers.
There will be a lot of participants that copy the cards seen in the class, some people even are able to purchase all the materials ahead of time so they really can copy it! 
Although these classes offer Lifetime Access, I have never really used it.  I kindof doubt many people do...
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 11:18:32 AM »
I haven't taken an official online class yet----I still haven't completed the free art classes I signed up for.   :-\  I cacn try to answer some of the questions though:

1.  I haven't taken an online class mainly b/c I forget they are there....and since I forget I'm afraid I wouldn't get my monies worth (even though I know they are usually avaliable for life--but I have the forgetful thing again, lol).

2.  I think this is the question I am interested in reading from others---b/c there are many techniques shown on youtube, etc (and I am meaning those who put a nice, clear, understandable video together--not the youtube videos that are out of focus, get interrupted multiple times) that I wonder what the difference is between online classes and those well put-together classes on youtube etc.

3.  I do like that the idea of an online class being right there at your fingertips to watch and learn again and again---see in-action how to do a technique---but you can get this from youtube and other video services, thus not sure if this reason really counts in this discussion.

4. I have yet to see any classes locally for anything paper related. 

5.  N/A yet at least  :smile:

6.  This is another one I am interested in the information shared...I have wondered if internet troubles ever interfers with the class (though I know you can go back later) or if you can download the class to your computer to avoid streaming all together....

I am glad that those of you have shared free classes online so I can try this format out and I have watched one so far and enjoyed it, but I still need to see the differences b/w craftsy and youtube/vimeo.
~~Melissa :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »
Thanks for your responses so far!  We are all at different points of learning and so it is interesting to see other Points of View!
Thanks again for sharing!...Jan

1.   I have taken several online classes over the last years.  I might take 1 or 2 in a year since there are not quality stamping related classes available locally.  But I also seek out classes when I travel to larger cities and have planned vacations to coincide with national stamping events.

2.   My current class preference is for classes which focus on a type of product and it’s uses that I can incorporate into my work rather than how to make specific card.   For instance, Julie Fei-Fan Blazer shares her goals for her class on gesso class as part of her promotion of the class:-Understand the technicalities of why (and when) to use gesso; explore each of the five major types of gesso; learn how to make your own colored gesso; play with lots of cool techniques using gesso; realize how perfect gesso is for so many different kinds of mixed media projects.  She demonstrates on tags but no card making.

3.   I find that I work considerably slower than other classmates therefore I like self-paced on-line classes as opposed to a classroom step-by-step approach I quickly fall behind if trying to take the class and create on the same day. 

4.   I find Craftsy has the most technologically advanced supports for their paid classes: all classes have a place at the bottom of the screen where the student can type in notes if desired; if a point in a video is missed there is a back-up feature to recapture the point (I think it backs up 5 or 10 seconds with each tap); if you need to interrupt the video it will hold your spot…even if you close the program it will return to where you left off-yay!; I had problems with the HD video speed causing my videos to stop every few seconds…I wrote their help desk and within seconds I received information on how to play the videos without the HD feature…and they followed-up to make sure it was working! 

5.   Most other sites require a separate password for every class but only 1 password is needed at Craftsy.  I keep a list on my computer for all my classes with links to the class-and special details-like limitations on viewing the class and information regarding the purchase of the class-more than once the class provider “lost” my information that I purchased a specific class earlier. I find it easier to keep a log from the beginning of a new class.

6.   Favorite class-Tim Holtz’ Chemistry 101 and 102 at Online Classes.  As an avid distress product line user I wanted to know as much as possible about all the distress products.  And while a lot of information is provided in other You tube videos…it is wonderful to have it presented in an organized manner with the additional chemistry information for these class. Together these classes connected the dots for me so now I understand what can work together or not. I now understand so much more about how things work together for specific techniques. It is a lot of information to absorb and so I find myself returning to these videos frequently. In this series Tim answered a lot questions from the initial class but made it clear he only speaks about Ranger products. This class was higher priced than many others at the initial opening but now it is in-line or lower than others who are full-time professionals in the world of stamping but jumped into online classes a little later than Tim.

7.   I have hit a few bumps while considering on-line classes that might be helpful for you to aware of:  Membership programs-Bitsy is a new site for crafting classes that has a monthly fee for access to their classes. There is not clear information about the classes prior to signing on. They require an automatic monthly payment from a credit card.  Be aware that if you forget to cancel when your interest in the classes ends your monthly payments continue…until you figure it out you need to cancel! 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:00:45 PM by Far North »

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 05:51:19 PM »
I have taken quite a few online card classes. Some are good and some not so good.

1.   Have you purchased an online class related to your interest in stamping and if so describe how many. 
   I took a class from onlinecardclasses.com. I was not really impressed with that class. It seemed like all they did was show you how to make a specific card more than teach techniques that you could apply to others. I took lots of classes from My Creative Classes online. Whether or not they were good, to me, depended on the teacher. They were supposed to be lifetime but they closed their site and all content was lost. Some could be downloaded but most of the videos could not.

2.   What are you hoping to obtain in an online class that you can’t find elsewhere?
More in depth information that you can't find on you tube. Maybe because I didn't know how to search for what I didn't know, hehehe

3.   What features do you like about online classes?
I like being able to do it at my time schedule. Also the fact that you have them forever except when they close their website.

4.   What differences do like about online classes compared to classes available locally?
I have no classes available to me locally.

5.   Describe your favorite class. 
My favorite class was actually a qulling class, but for cards, my favorite was a design class by Glenda Waterworth.

6.   Have you experienced any issues with online classes to which you would like to alert your AI pals?
1, it is hard to know if a class is any good before spending the money. I suggest watching you tube videos of the teacher or asking others if they've had experience. 2, Lifetime access does not always mean lifetime access.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »
A somewhat related point...Deepti Malik of Dee's Atrt Utopia was a design team member with me on the Mixed Media Card Challenge. She created many cards that included simple beautiful watercoloring. She just announced she will be soon teaching a Craftsy Class called Watercolor Cards Made Simple and is offering a drawing for 1 free class. You can check out her website for the drawing information but also as Kathy suggested look at her work.  I don't recall her using watercolor techniques but rather straight simple painting that added so much beauty to her cards.  When the class announcement occurs there will be opportunities to see a video of her overview of the class and some possible work.  If you don't register immediately you will be able to read other student reviews when they are finished. Wouldn't be great if an Artsy Inker won a seat in the class!

Kathy, I took online classes at  "My Creative Classes" too!  One of the pioneers in online stamping/paper classes!  Wonderful for us it seems each new company makes big advances in providing classes.  It is unfortunate that the early businesses can't hang on with outdated technology that so rapidly improves. 

Heidi, I certainly can understand your desire to participate in a live class! Having fun with others adds to the creative energy! However the whole time zone factor becomes very problematic with students from around the world! I know it was very difficult for me to participate when I was working full-time and being 4 times zones different.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:23:38 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 08:11:14 PM »
It is interesting to see the different points of view!  I know that Online Card classes has changed and now they build in days with no new content so people can work on cards without feeling rushed.  I think it is interesting that Kathy thought the cards they made did not teach a technique as much as a card. I think I may agree with that statement to a point. I think they showed enough variations, but in the ones I took, the "style" of each of the teachers involved is so similar to one another.

The Watercolor class on Craftsy sounds like something I would like. I was interested in some of the mixed media classes there, and like I have said on other threads, I really enjoyed the two free classes I took on Craftsy.   The content and styles offered in those classes I thought was really different from other places. 

Dina Kowal offers some classes in pencil coloring, which I would love to take sometime but do not think I will invest in right now since I do not have good pencils at the moment. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 07:20:34 AM »
I got an email advertising the class Jan was talking about:  http://www.craftsy.com/class/watercolor-cards-made-simple/5234

It was priced at $14.99 for me, but says that is 50% off. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 08:34:52 AM »
Thanks Heidi for posting about the Craftsy Watercolor class!  I have been busy these last few days and didn't have a moment to post...but lucky for you to wait til you got the special price! I think I got a 50% discount on my first class there too...and lesser discounts on my classes since. 

I have only had a limited time to explore the content.  So far it looks like a great class for cardmakers.  She is fine with folks using distress inks vs watercolor paints.  I haven't wet my brush yet...hope to soon!

...Jan

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 12:11:49 PM »
I haven't taken any classes online.  Theres a small scrapbook store near me but they mainly offer scrapbooking classes. They do have a Copic class that they have on occasion but that's it as far as I know.

If I ever decide to invest in copics I would consider purchasing the online card class for copics. I've heard its a super helpful course.

Jan, I think the Tim Holtz classes would be a lot of fun. I love distress inks and I know there's so many uses/techniques you can do with them. 

Thank you all for your input!
LeighAnn

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 10:43:27 AM »
1.   Have you purchased an online class related to your interest in stamping and if so describe how many.   If no, is there a specific reason you do not consider taking an online class?  I have never purchased an online class, I haven't found any I want to take bad enough to pay when youtube has the same stuff.

2.   What are you hoping to obtain in an online class that you can’t find elsewhere?  New techniques.

3.   What features do you like about online classes?  Usually they are self paced which I like.

4.   What differences do like about online classes compared to classes available locally?  We have nothing locally, the closest place would be 150 miles away.

5.   Describe your favorite class.  I used to watch The Glitter Girl at TwoPeas.  I liked watching her scrapbook and learned a lot from her.

6.   Have you experienced any issues with online classes to which you would like to alert your AI pals?  Since I have only taken free ones I can't complain at all.

When we had a local store I used to pay to go to the make something classes.  I really liked them a lot. 
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 11:50:32 AM »
I stumbled upon another reason I tend to shy away from online classes.....

I was looking for some online classes on some embroidery techniques (example: "blackwork") that I know absolutely nothing about except how to thread a needle, the different fabrics ,and I do know to cross stitch..but anyways, I found that I was more willing to look for classes that I had absolutely no knowledge in the subject matter, than classes that I know a little bit about the subject.  That was an eye opener for me, b/c I have always thought that taking classes on subject matter you enjoy would be fun (which would mean you'd have to know something about the subject matter to know you enjoy it, lol). 

Jan, I can see what you mean when you mentioned how online classes you like b/c they are organized---I can see how that alone would help if you were doing a study on a specific subject: taking a class online would save time and possibly help not to miss something in the subject.  I can see how if I wanted to study watercolor, yes there are youtube videos, but I have to go searching and put together my own "class" and then there might be repeat, etc...so I can see how doing a study would be better to use online classes---where youtube is good for if you just want to see one technique/example possibly---then again, I am just thinking outloud since I have only watched one classes of a free online class......I keep forgetting to watch the rest of the class.   :-\ 

I also like the idea of planning trips around classes around the country. 

There are some great ideas everyone is sharing!  TY for starting this thread Jan!
~~Melissa :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 03:54:38 PM »
Sadie-your right if you are looking for techniques you can generally find them on the You Tube.  Generally online classes are a broader study of a specific topic and involves several hours of learning and practicing what one has learned.

Melissa-Many online classes do tend to begin with basics. I have found the speed tool on the Craftsy video toolbar which has become a good friend. I use it to speed-play through the parts were I feel confident about the topic but yet want to make sure I don't miss a critical tidbit.

I have an on-going page on my computer for "SOMEDAY".........with lists of videos I'd like to watch; ideas for cards; ideas for challenges and wishlist of products I would like.  I write a brief description and include a link to the inspiration as well  I add ***to identify my priorities.  After it is on my list I feel I it is okay not to think about  it until I have time to enjoy something new and return to the list and I feel is also okay to delete items if I change my mind.
...Jan
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:54:00 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 04:47:22 PM »
As someone who has taken just a few classes, I would say that in my experience, it is okay if you aren't a beginner in a class, and especially if I have not formally studied the specific area before, I still learn some tidbit from the beginning instruction.  Hopefully the class will tell you in the description if it is just for beginner or if it is for all levels, or if it is for intermediate/advanced.

If it did not give a level, I would shy away from that class.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 10:45:29 PM »
I agree with your comments Heidi.  Over the last 2 years I tried to learn about watercoloring in 3 classes that were not designed for card makers (since I couldn't find any specific to card makers).  Yes,  I think I have experimented with multiple versions of every distress watercolor technique but I wanted to learn how-to combine painting with my cards.  For me it was a difficult to translate standard water coloring to card making.  So finally this week I jumped on board with the watercoloring for card maker’s class.  In the new class I learned that about the appropriate size brushes for cardmaker’s versus the large ones painter’s use for their much larger paintings.  The instructor is fine with substituting distress inks. And oh my, none of my other teachers explained using a palette with wells makes it impossible to mix colors without contaminating the main color…no wonder I was always trying to use the only large flat area in the center LOL!  And she shared if we have nothing else a styrofoam plate could be used. So I agree one often learns new things even if you have some experience.