Author Topic: Wooden You? WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!  (Read 5501 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Wooden You? WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!
« on: January 28, 2018, 03:03:54 PM »
For this challenge you will need glossy card stock and light and dark brown dye inks. Matte card stock will work, but I like the glossy a bit better because it looks a little more like wood grain on the glossy. Please follow the technique on this video. Make a few backgrounds and then choose one to make a card with it. Please use at least one stamped image on your card, post it in the gallery with the heading --
WF18 Wooden. Also link it here to this post so that we will not miss it. Also let me know how this technique did for you -- any problems, etc.

The lady on the video is from Australia and talks very slow and detailed so you might want to start the video at 19:57/55:43. You will see the video at the bottom of her post.

http://carolynbennie.com/video-tutorial-faux-wood-grain-glossy-cardstock/

She used a bird stamp on her card and so did I since I love birds, but you may use any stamp you like. Here is my card below that I made with the technique.

The second picture are some backgrounds I made with the technique. The top left one is on glossy card stock and the one I used for my card.

Yes, you may combine this challenge with other WF18 challenges. I will also be giving an RAK to a randomly chosen winner!

April :smile:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:56:36 AM by stampwilly »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: Wooden You?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 08:10:29 AM »
Your samples look great April!  Thanks for hosting!

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 08:55:25 AM »
Those backgrounds came out really cool.  And your card is lovely. 
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 09:36:32 AM »
April, you have found a technique I have never heard of or seen before!  How wonderful.  It is really neat and I am excited to try it.  I love your card and your birdie!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »
I love your sample!  This will be fun!  Thanks for hosting.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »
Here is my experience so far :

Cut your glossy cs a bit bigger than your card front, or at least card front size so you can trim it down if you need to ... I have some finger prints on the ends from holding it still while I swipe.

What kind of ink to use?  I'm finding the ink is not drying very well, even with my heat gun.  One Ranger Adirondack dye pad (Latte) is even pooling a bit on the glossy card stock.  I've been drying between colors and then turning over and blotting off excess ink on scratch paper.  Note: I have a Milwaukee heat gun for embossing powder , not a Ranger heat tool that is probably a wider path of milder heat.

Now I'm experimenting with Distress Inks.  I have 4 backgrounds made so far, you know, that hard to quit feeling!

What kind of ink are you using? 
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 10:59:00 AM »
I created 4 backgrounds with distress inks on Ranger's glossy paper.  Layering the inks creates some pretty depth!  However I found a learning curve with applying the 3" pads to the paper.  My ink dried almost instantly.  I kept a rag in my hand and it would dry only little  spot before it was dry. Turning the paper regularly was essential to keeping the pads at the proper alignment. I went through two glossy A2s before I got a few better results.

Cindi by chance were you trying to use photo paper?  Or is your inkpad over saturated?  I never had to use the heat gun. I certainly had no wet ink to blot.  I hope you can make a change so it works better for you. 

This challenge reminds me of one I hosted in our earlier days here where we followed Tammy Tutterow's tutorial using bathroom tools-in this case a toothbrush to make a wood look background with a tooth brush and paint. It's fun to try new ways!  Thanks April.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 02:53:53 PM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 11:10:05 AM »
I know at least some of my glossy paper was Ranger Inkssentials.  It is old, so they may have reformulated?  All ink pads required the heat gun, Archival, Adirondack and Distress.  Weird!  Maybe it's the difference between FL and Ohio humidity?  It wasn't a particularly humid day though.  Oh well, I have 6 backgrounds. 

Wow, the toothbrush technique is a blast from the past!  I'd forgotten about that.
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »
I used glossy card stock from Marcos and Distress inks with no problem. Looking forward to seeing your backgrounds.

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 09:10:46 PM »
very cool, and wood is so in right now!

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 09:23:55 AM »
I had difficulty with this technique.  My Crumb Cake needs an ink refill so I now know to order one.  My Early Espresso was too juicy. Although I'm not happy with my personal results, I do love this technique and will finish it up and will post. 

I agree with Connie--wood is so in right now.
Beth

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 12:18:06 PM »
Well it didn't quite turn out as neat as hers and yours April but it's ok :) None of my inks seemed very juicy so I had a hard time getting anything to lay down correctly.

Here is my card.
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3832#top_display_media

And my examples:  I did 4, one with Distress inks and Oxides on the top, Dye inks on the bottom

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 01:53:21 PM »
Connie, your backgrounds look great! Your card is very pretty too. Thanks for doing the challenge!

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 08:31:58 AM »
I too had difficulty with this technique as my SU's Crumb Cake wasn't juicy enough so I just placed an order for a whole bunch of ink refills. 

Colours used:  SU Crumb Cake and Early Espresso

Here is my card: http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3835#top_display_media

Thanks for this challenge April.
Beth

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 08:55:04 AM »
Thanks for playing, Beth! Your card is so cute!