Author Topic: Art journals  (Read 3352 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Art journals
« on: October 21, 2014, 12:36:22 PM »
I have read that some of y'all keep art journals. 

May I ask what y'all use as a journal---mainly I mean, is your journal spiral bound or like a book with just a spine?  or do you keep loose pages? etc? 

Art journals look really fun, but I have never done one. 

Also, if you want to share how (or why) you started art journaling, that'd be neat to read too! 
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Art journals
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 02:03:41 PM »
I would be interested too.  I was thinking of getting my artistic niece an art journal for a gift but I really don't know enough about them to choose.
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 02:13:07 PM »
I use a mixed media journal.  Either this one or one that Michaels sells buy one get one 50% off.  I like the heavy paper that takes a beating and holds together.  I have also used a small mixed media journal and taken the pages out to use on cards.  I have also gotten great big sheets of watercolor and or mixed media paper from Dick Blick......Love saying that name....LOL. 

This one!
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 06:03:39 PM »
  I have only keep a "journal" of product experiments, a copy of my product color swatches, and samples I made in classes. I bought a 9.5 x 11 clear pocket portfolio (like page protectors at JoAnn's fine art section for my journal.  I am not much into diaries, journals or albums...I feel what I have in photos and on my blog is sufficient.  I think it would be a lot different if I was newer to stamping.

If you read blogs about art journals people are encourage to make them in whatever way they want.  Mixed Media encourages people to make art in what way the individual wants and there are no right and wrongs....and that certainly goes to journals too.  Yes, spiral bound books are easiest if you are going to make art in the jourmal.  Size varies a lot too.  Strathmore and a couple other big art paper companies came out with new Mixed Media journals this fall...with fancy, luxurious covers (some available at my Michaels). 

Some of the multi-media "instructors"strongly encourage doing some art 10 minutes a day to increase skills (the amt of time varies upward).  Some folks talk of using several different types of journals at one time.  Some folks are using their art and words to express their personal growth, development and/or feeling....an art diary in my mind.

The good news is no matter what you do it is right!           

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:53:35 AM »
Thanks for all the comments!  And I am liking there is not a right or wrong way!   O0   And y'alls suggestions give me something to think about.  Looks like the most important thing is for the journal to have thicker paper than CS.  Makes sense….that way you can do basic stamping on one page and then watercoloring on the next. 

When I have seen examples of some art journals, the artist had lots of writing on the pages---like a diary more to me, but then I thought I had seen some that had no writing.  So I am glad you included those instances Jan in your response and described them. 

I like that idea of doing art 10 min a day…there are some days I don't go into the craft room b/c I think there is not enough time to get anything done…but then I miss not getting to do anything.   :(   I am thinking an art journal could help me with this "problem". 

Offline GeorgiaMolly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »
I have quite a few art journals, both mixed media and watercolor.  I prefer the sewn in binding rather than the spiral bound.  At first I thought the Moleskine Sketch book was the kind to get.  Expensive, and really not suited for wet media unless you glue 2 or 3 pages together.  There are so many types, sizes, and styles out there, but I've found I like the 5 x 8.5 the best.  Really, anything goes - buy something on sale and play/practice in it.  It's all the art supplies you'll eventually want that get expensive. 

http://www.amazon.com/Dylusions-Reaveleys-Creative-Journal-8-Inch/dp/B00EB0G2HA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414079520&sr=8-2&keywords=dylusions+creative+journal    (My favorite right now)

Molly

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »
Cool!  Thanks for the link and recommendations Molly!  Do you find the sewn in binding hard to keep open when your using it?

and do y'all use the front and back pages----or does that mess up the art on the other side of the page?  (of course I am asking this having never done one, so may be obvious after I do a page... :-\ but thought I'd ask still)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 01:07:30 PM »
I don't keep an art journal but am always intrigued by art journals. I've done a few canvases that are like mixed media but I haven't taken the plunge yet on a journal.
That's a very good tip, Jan about the 10 minutes a day.

Melissa, there's a you tube channel I subscribe to and she does art journal pages about once a month. Her channel name is Vicky Papaioannou. She's great at explaining her work and takes you from start to finish. She's who really got me interested in art journaling.
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 02:37:55 PM »
Thanks LeighAnn for the links!  Her videos are neat!  and I checked out her blog and she has the cutest kitten named 'Ginger'. 

She also has a video and blog posting about gesso---I am setting aside time to watch that since I get all the mediums mixed up.   :-\

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 11:57:52 AM »
I made an art journal over the weekend using some watercolor paper I had on hand.  Thought I can use this I made as a starting point to learn what to look for in one I buy.

front of art journal

This is the inside of it kind of---I wasn't sure how to show the folds and pages etc so decided on this.

top of journal

IT actually was a neat experience making the journal by hand.  I would actually do it again.    :smile: 

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 12:01:49 PM »
I am so impressed with your creativity.  There is just one problem I can see; there might not be enough pages once you get started using this wonderful creation.  And thank you very much for sharing.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 12:05:31 PM »
 Thank you Sadie!!  I did think of there being too few pages Sadie…...later!  lol!!! 

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 05:49:28 PM »
I saw one blog today by a art sketcher-painter who after just a couple years has 36 journals.  LOL...Melissa,I wonder how many you will have in a couple years?

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 09:22:43 PM »
Oh my!!   :o. The problem I am starting to feel....I say "starting" bc I've been busy with other things I haven't had to confront it yet....but when I see it on my desk, it's like I'm afraid to do anything with it---afraid I'm going to mess it up!  Lol!  I know that's crazy and I keep pushing that feeling aside so it doesn't start to develop into something more.... 

I know I just need to dive in!  I hope to that this weekend.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 10:55:02 PM »
I have read on many sites that is a real issue for many folks.  The most common thing I hear that is helpful is to add something to a few blank white pages...many folks suggest a color wash which can easily be changed later.  Also remember it is your book so you don't have to go in order if you don't want to and you never have to share it if you don't want to.