Author Topic: April Distress Color - Fosilized Amber  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: April Distress Color - Fosilized Amber
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 11:05:00 AM »
Thanks for the links, Heidi! The ranger one worked best for my puter.

What do I think of 'Fossilized Amber'?  ::) ;D

I think I would add it to my stash of DIs if I weren't holding off on ink buys until I relocate. :o

Why? 'Cause (as Ranger says) it's a good yellow with a slightly 'muddy' (not dirty) undertone. It can certainly work on its own, as well as the other DIs. As a layered ink, I can so see this color over lots of existing colors to alter them--especially some of the very bright colors. As part of an 'earthtone' pallette 'FA' would be a natural addition for me.

I can easily see this color being used for Autumn leaves & such. I can also see it used with architecture images since it has an 'aged' look & would work as a shade for sun-weathered stone & brick.
Daniel

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 11:05:09 AM »
I was hoping for a yellow, but I am not sure that this is the shade of yellow I was hoping for.  The names are quite funny so far though.  I will probably get it because I do have all the inks (in the minis tho), the paints and all the distress markers so I want to finish it out with all the new colors.  I am not so sure about needing distress ink and the spray distress ink, really as far as I can tell they are the same product except that one has a dobber top and one has a spray top.  It is kind of redundant to have both, at least I think it is.  But it is nice to be able to order one time and get all the new colors in one order. 

This year they came out with the marketing idea of one color a month, I wonder what they will do next year to keep selling distress products.  Really how many new colors can they come up with in the next few years to generate sells?  Once a person has color variety in the products one wants how many different variations of those colors does one person actually need?  I hope they don't then decide to discontinue the distress line and come out with some other line to generate sells like they have done with the Claudia Helmouth line of paints which has been discontinued even though it is still being sold in stores until all the product is gone.  I liked those paints too and own some and now they are going to be gone.  Will the distress line go the same way, get into the market, saturate the market, then discontinue the line and start another?  Rangers marketing seems to be bring out new and discontinue the old when the market is saturated.  I guess its a good marketing plan it is just kind of hard to give up on the product one owns and start all over with a new one.

Well that was rambling at its finest!  LOL 
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 11:15:53 AM »
I like it a lot. I like it better than Mustard Seed.  I would buy it if I did not have the mustard seed.  I don't have squeezed lemonade yet, so that is what is on my list next.

Sadie, I cannot imagine disress inks being discontinued any time soon!  I wonder if they have any room to expand the product line.  I am sorry your favorite paints are discontinued! Maybe they will discontinue certain colors and replace them with something else?

Daniel, I agree that it could be a great fall color.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 11:26:03 AM »
LOL, Sadie! You 'ramble' purty good, ma'am!

I've had several thots similar to yours about 'how many colors we need' & mfrs who discontinue colors/lines. BTDT when I was connected with various paint mfrs back in the 80s & 90s.

Might just start a separate chat on the subject so Heidi's remains 'on track'. ;D

Sadie. I'm curious. Would you have preferred a brighter yellow? Before seeing the actual color I was expecting it to be a deeper yellow. Maybe with an undertone of red/orange like old honey.

On the 'names'? Yeah, I laughed at this one. Since amber is fossilized sap, the name seemed redundant to me. But it's not a bad name as names go. LOL!

Heidi. I like mustard seed, but I take your point about not adding a new color when an old one 'works'.
Daniel

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 11:38:22 AM »
I was hoping for a yellow that was more inbetween the squeezed lemonade and the mustard seed....something more a true yellow but not as bright as the squeezed lemonade.  I realize the squeezed lemonade can be "toned" down with a brown but still was hoping for a color between those two.....LOL  sometimes it is just nice to pull out the color you want and not need to tone down or up the color. 
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 12:16:49 PM »
TY, Sadie! Your post fits right in with the new 'ink colors' thread I just started.  ;)

Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »
Well, I am sure glad my butter is not the color of Fossilized Amber!

While I have not been fond of all the previous colors...This is the first one where I feel saddly disappointed.  Perhaps somehow I my good fairy fell asleep while this one was finalized...it is not the yellow I waited for so long. Like Heidi I often include flowers and nature elements in my work.  I too wished for a true yellow. Like the alcohol inks and Adirondack inks it took considerable time after earthtones for the brights to be added... After the teaser of the seasonal colors I was hopeful that this palette of 12. 
would all lean to the brighter side.

Sadie I agree the distress stains and sprays being similar...and Tim has a video showing us how to open the stain bottles to pour into our own spray bottles (made prior to the spray bottles being available). Also, I too loved Claudine's acrylic paints...and her wonderful color chart showing the ratios to mix additional colors.  I have full bottles of the primary colors and a few others too...so I will be sticking with them as long as I can.

I don't understand Tim's role as Ranger's creative director and designer of his own lines.  As CD it feels like he only promotes his own lines (not any of the other designer's products).  Like he taught very little-to-none about acrylic paints when Claudine's were release.  For what I saw she had the whole load of providing consumer education about her products.  And that seems to continue with each new designer.  I believe Nick Bantock was pre-internet or at least pre-You Tube. I have never seen or heard him or even read any written information. It seemed like not much was even said about that line in recent years.  Now his line of inks has been discontinued too. Only recently I read the label and was shocked to learn they are water based like distress inks ...so do these inks work similar to distress inks?  Nick had a great yellow in his ink pads in his line...so I will so be putting his inks through some experiments and at time will combined them with distress inks to see if I can use them to fill in the some distress line gaps. 

As I was saying....For now I have no thoughts of buying products in the fossilized amber colors.
...Jan

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:45:55 AM by Far North »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 10:44:50 AM »
LOL on the 'butter' comment, Jan!

I used Heidi's link to Ranger to check out all the DI colors available. I'm not sure how 'true' the colors show up, but that's always @ the mercy of our computers.

I have lots of gaps in my stash of DI (pads), but looking over them all--including this year's newbies--I see few that I would call 'bright'. I thot about it a bit & wonder if it isn't deliberate.

When I first acquired a few DIs, I was not happy with how they worked--coverage, etc. I expected them to work like my other dye inks. It took me a bit to understand that 'Distress' was an actual 'look'--faded, abraded, aged, etc.. I suspect that producing bright colors that look distressed may be problematic.

Like Heidi, I have Mustard Seed. To me it's a nice 'bright' yellow and 'FA' would not be a good substitute for me. But I could use 'FA' to shade 'MS'.

What I'm coming to terms with is that any specific ink's pallete is just that--specific to that ink brand. Doesn't mean it's incompatable with other brands, but not necessarily a replacement for all my other inks--in this case dye inks.

I'm grateful for this thread. As I pack up those inks I plan to take with me, I may just go through my older pads & save some of my old 'bright' dye inks. Most of them are from Hampton & I believe Stewart Superior was the mfr.
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »
Interesting point, Jan, about Tim Holtz working for Ranger, but not really promoting the other lines that Ranger carries.    Hmmm.  Food for thought. 

Yes, I do wish we could get a true idea of the true color on our computer screens. I think it helps if you have one or more of the colors they are comparing and then you can kindof tell.

~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 12:17:23 PM »
Interesting point, Jan, about Tim Holtz working for Ranger, but not really promoting the other lines that Ranger carries.    Hmmm.  Food for thought.

With some slight experience in the Craft Industry, I'm pretty sure Tim's contract with Ranger would make an interesting 'read'. Having had a few 'job titles' of my own over the years, they (like color names) don't always say much, but sound good & are useful on a resume. ;)

Yes, I do wish we could get a true idea of the true color on our computer screens. I think it helps if you have one or more of the colors they are comparing and then you can kindof tell.

Good point, Heidi. I've done that with my DIs. I find their label colors are fairly close to how the color looks.
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 01:12:51 PM »
I agree it is really helpful to see the new color compared to other current colors.  And for me mustard seed is already plenty dark.  I did note on Tim's blog the comparison of the FA color swatch was done with a firmer pressure than the other yellow colors...so that too makes some difference.  Tim started the distress concept in 2002 as a new employee...he wanted ink pads to work like walnut crystals which were the popular coloring at the time, which exploded with color on the page and more. When the chemists asked what colors he wanted in the line he shared 5 brown colors and black. The line follows his love of vintage so I don't think he counted on moving to bright colors.  For me not being a person who enjoys coloring I love all the special techniques/effects that distress can create.  But Daniel's reality check is spot-on of how decisions are made: this is a business and decisions are based on the profits. 

I know I can watercolor with other water-based dye inks but I think the techniques like distress ink will be limited.  I saw Jennifer McGuire's blog post yesterday was promoting Ranger's new dye inks replacing the Adirondack inks (LOL-she's fast...I haven't seen much of a promotion on Ranger).  It includes a nice bright range of basic colors.

I just need to remind myself that my focus is for the best products that work for me.  I don't have nearly enough insight to guess the financial reports of any of these businesses.  Goodness, I never had any thoughts that Tsukineko would sell out to Imagine Crafts.

Daniel, I get an evenly inked distress images from clear stamps after I season them with a coating of black archival ink...that works for me...and I like being able to see the black image (the coating must remain on the stamp).

Happy day!...Jan

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 01:40:08 PM »
I am also one of the crazy people who stamps with Distress inks.  I find it works well if you reink the pads fairly often.

You know, Jan, I actually did not watch the video for the new Amber ink yet, but when I looked at that photo of the inks side by side, I wondered if the Amber ink was applied more firmly.  It just looked like it was somehow. 

I saw the Ranger inks closer to CHA and I do like the bright basic colors they come in.  especially the blue.
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »
Thanks Heidi for the links to the new color---to be honest, I was kinda disappointed at first that it was a darker toned color.....I don't think it's ugly or anything, I was just hoping for bright colors too...but I have been thinking off and on about it and am wondering how close the FA is to acting like a "raw Sienna" that's in the watercolor world (though the examples TH shows on his blog do not match the color on the FA ink pad and bottles!).

Also the other yellow colors TH shows for example comparisons do not look like my yellows from the distress line---my 'lemonade' is alot closer to neon lemonade IRL than what is shown on his example as well as the other colors (the 'wild honey' TH shows almost looks like 'ripe persimon' to me IRL)----but I guess that is thanks to the computer screen. 

I have trouble stamping with DI--I'll try Jan's suggestion and Heidi's too since I have a few reinkers. 

Jan, do you also use the archival ink tip on rubber stamps too?
~~Melissa :)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 10:08:26 PM »
I like it a lot. I like it better than Mustard Seed.  I would buy it if I did not have the mustard seed.  I don't have squeezed lemonade yet, so that is what is on my list next.

My first thought on seeing it was, is it any different than mustard seed.  That was before I looked at the link with the comparison.  And I'm still not seeing enough of a difference to really want it.

But I do love Squeezed Lemonade.  It works really well with Picked Raspberry and Ripe Persimmon to create bright backgrounds.

Before seeing the actual color I was expecting it to be a deeper yellow. Maybe with an undertone of red/orange like old honey.
I had the same thought, Daniel.  With a name like fossilized amber, you would think it would have more golden/honey undertones.

So far, I haven't been all that impressed.  The only one that I'm considering is the cracked pistachio. And I'm especially disappointed that the abandoned coral isn't a more intensely coral color.   I guess my lack of enthusiasm for the colors is good for my pocket book. 
Sarah