Author Topic: April Distress Color - Fosilized Amber  (Read 5420 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Re: April Distress Color - Fosilized Amber
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 09:31:08 AM »
And I'm especially disappointed that the abandoned coral isn't a more intensely coral color. 

I too was really disappointed that AC was not more of a coral color.....I love coral and was so excited that there is an ink in that shade-----my only hope right now is that maybe IRL it truely does look like coral (maybe it's my computer screen that shows it not to be coral).
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 09:53:04 AM »
I am just loving all the posts! So much great info--especially Jan's 'insider' stuff! I sometimes miss the old trade (craft) mags. They--along with connecting with Industry friends--were always a good source of what was happening & why. Anyhoo...

One thing I liked was that DIs labels looked like the color, but have to admit that's a relative impression. I decided to pull my Mustard Seed pad out today. The color on its label does seem a bit brighter than the stamped ink, but I still find it brighter than the new Amber which I believe is more of a yellow ochre (as opposed to raw sienna).

If I wanted to achieve a similar color with my DIs, I'd probably try layering Mustard Seed & Tea Dye. I can still see value from 'FA' as non-brown way to 'alter' other colors. Of all the 2015 DIs it's the first one I would really consider adding, but I do kind of like the Pistachio since I like greens.

Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 10:25:15 AM »
Jan I just discovered the walnut crystals---and other watercolor crystals----and I think they are really neat!  I might try some someday, but I liked the organic (and uncontrollable) nature they take on with the addition of water...neat to know that that was the inspiration for the DI line!

I have often wondered if there were other items in the art world that react with water---just I didn't know about them and/or they were hidden due to marketing--- I am seeing some items in the scrapbooking aisles at Michaels that are different gels, glazes, and pastes----but you can then walk across the store to the art aisle to pick up the exact product (but under different name) but it does the same thing (and is usually cheaper by volume).   

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 11:54:32 PM »
I did not consider walnut crystals an easy product to work with when they were 1at popular...but then that was pre-You Tube as well as pre-craft stores in Fairbanks...so maybe I just needed a good demonstrator.  Anyways new art do have the possibility of rebounding once again. Since prior to Christmas creative folks in Great Britain, surrounding countries and Australia have been enjoying Brusho, a water reactive powder.  And Ken Oliver kicked off a new product in the US at the January CHA called Color Burst. He describes it as a microfine concentrated powder colorant to be used with water on porous surfaces.  Melissa is this what you are seeing in the stores?  They are not here in the stores yet but a couple samples arrived today in my mailbox!...so I will be trying them out soon!

Melissa-Many of the distress colors on the Ranger's labels are not the same as the product.  My take on the labels is that the labels are probably produced before the ink color is finalized.  Also note the colors in the line-up of products are not always the same color product to product. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 02:24:24 AM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 02:52:53 PM »
Wow there are quite a few watercolor crystals out there, huh!!  I will be interested in how the crystals are for you Jan after you get to play with them.

I haven't seen any of the ones you mentioned in the stores---I have only seen them online after Sarah and Heidi mentioned them---I had to go see what they were talking about, lol!

The product I was talking about seeing in the Michaels in both the scrapbooking aisle and the art aisle are gels, gesso, pastes---I saw a small jar of gesso in the scrapbooking aisle and it was a small jar and the price (per volume) was really high compared to if you bought some gesso from their art department instead. 

Good to know that the colors may not even translate across products within DIs.  I wish they could get the color to be closer to the label though---it does make me wonder how they go about designing the labels---I know I'd be bummed if I had worked out the color and after they manufactured everything, the label and paints didn't match each other (but that happens even in watercolors etc)---it would make me feel like I am not representing the product I made correctly (I hope paint stores don't do this!  Can you imagine the conversation: " the brown on this swatch card is a little lighter than it is from the paint can ...but you can take this swatch card home for a rough estimate to see if you like it..just remember the paint itself is a a few shades darker IRL."  :o  I don't remember it being this way for a friend of mine, who we helped paint their room a couple weekends ago.)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 03:16:42 PM »
My stores carry DI with two slightly different labels. The one is in french and english (maybe spanish too) and the other is the standard label. I noticed that the colors for some of the inks are different on the multi-lingual label (lgihter, usually) than the standard label. 

~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »
I think it was Sadie maybe you questioned how Distress would expand their line even further???

Look no more...

http://timholtz.com/new-distress-accessories/

Distress accessories!

I like the idea of a blank stamp pad that you could make ombre, but it is really nothing you couldn't buy before.

~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 03:42:35 PM »
I think it was Sadie maybe you questioned how Distress would expand their line even further???

Look no more...

http://timholtz.com/new-distress-accessories/

Distress accessories!

I like the idea of a blank stamp pad that you could make ombre, but it is really nothing you couldn't buy before.

Oh my, the line has grown by 4 products!  LOL!  A spray bottle, an empty ink pad, distress refresher, and distress glaze.  LOL again!  I haven't watched the videos yet but I am sure there is some secret special use that will make these products indispensable to crafters.........thank you for the link.  Actually it looks like these products will be available before some of the other things that Ranger introduced at CHA, like the Dina Wakely fine tips for her paint which still have not hit the stores.  I think they should get the stuff that was introduced at CHA out in the stores before they bring out more stuff, but that's just me. 
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »
LOL Sadie!  I just finally received Tim's winter greenry dies that were on backorder since last October!  I was determined to keep them on the list so I would have them for this year Lol...None too early I say!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 04:12:14 PM »
I watched the video on the distress glaze, which is an old product that is rebranded by Ranger.  I could see a use for it, but depends on how much. 

I thought they already had an ink refresher????
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »
The DIY pad is neat but I am wondering how much the empty pad would be...

The sprayer...I always wondered if companies can make a GOOD sprayer and if they can manufacture the sprayer differently to change the way a sprayer sprays.  I figured they can somewhat b/c that's why some bottles spray better than other bottles even in houseware products.   Thus I am interested to see how this bottle of different from other sprayers.

The micro glaze reminds me of Carmex---I wonder if vaseline would work the same.....

I think in the video TH says you can use ink refresher but that he wanted a smaller bottle....I am wondering if it's just water and glycerin...  ???